Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Limited depth cut through drywall, tricks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limited depth cut through drywall, tricks?

I need to make a 1/2" depth cut through drywall, basically to expose the 2 x 4 underneath. This is on an outside corner, which will now become the door frame for an expanded food pantry. I'm looking for a "mess free" trick to making the cut. Seems that a circular saw spinning at a reduced speed might do it. Or an angle grinder also at reduced speed might be easier to control. I do have a standalone motor speed control for that. Any other ideas that I might not have though of?
    Happiness is a new blade!
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Limited depth cut through drywall, tricks?

Mess-free and drywall used together should direct you to a magician's forum.

I have made a reduced mess by cutting the drywall with a sharp utility knife and then breaking off the drywall. You can also try holding a shop-vac hose in one hand while you work with the other. I've never tried using a router that has a vacuum attachment to do this but it might work.

billh
    charlton likes this.

Comment

An oscillating multitool would probably minimize the mess, especially if used with a vacuum nearby.
      schor, callee and QC Inspector like this.
      [insert something witty here]

Comment

a knife is the cleanest but anything with a motor will spread the dust. I have a zip tool that is made for cutting drywall and even the bit will through the dust about. A heavy blade Olaf or what we commonly call a dry wall knife. It cuts real easy.

Brian
        If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

I would second beakie . The oscilating tool with a vacuum works. Another option I use, is a utility knife. Repetative cuts until I have gone all the way through. More work, but less noise and almost zero mess.
          Darrin

Timber Elegance
          My Etsy Store

Comment

Thanks for the tips. The oscillating tool sounds like a good idea, and is one of the rare tools I don't have (as luck would have it). I'm mostly looking to avoid any high speed blade or whatever throwing it all over the place. An oscillating tool has a very short stroke so the gypsum should mostly fall straight down...in theory!

Comment

If there is no metal reinforcement underneath the corner (you said outside corner), then a sharp utility knife and straightedge is going to be as clean and fast as almost anything else (unless you have more than 15 or 20 feet to do). Failing that, and not having an oscillating muti-tool, a thin zip disc in an angle grinder will probably be the next best for keeping mess to a minimum.

Comment

This is the best way, but certainly not the cheapest if you have to buy the tool
                https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/XDS01Z

Comment

You should read the op twice before you post. Didn’t pick up on the outside corner for first answer. It should have a metal corner bead that would be rather difficult, if not impossible to cut with a knife But in newer homes it could also be a vinyl type also hard to cut. I would still use a knife but locate edge of corner bead and cut down there.

Brian
                  If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

Well I ended up using the angle grinder with the shop vac held close by. The speed reduction helped too, and kept the debris to a workable level (ie: the wife didn't kill me). The metal corner was another reason why I went with this method. It worked pretty well, and I hope I don't need to do this again anytime soon.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions

Comment

Too late but if you take a utility knife and a hammer you can drive the blade through the bead too. Nice clean cut with almost no dust.

Comment

Working...
                      X