Pipe too short

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pipe too short

I've just finished retiling my bathroom and have just discovered that the pipe for the tub spout is too short by probably an inch. I am wondering if there is an adapter or something I can add on to the end of the pipe to get the additional length needed? Or do I HAVE to have someone come in to change the pipe??? UGH, I really dont want to have to pay someone to do it; that was the whole point of doing the tiling myself. Thanks for your help.
    Attached Files
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Pipe too short

There are extensions available, Home Depot probably have them and other places, the question is, do you have enough room in the spout to accommodate the extra thickness of these ??

extension.jpg

Have fun and take care
    Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

I may be wrong, likely, but I believe you can remove that pipe with a pipe wrench and replace it with a longer one. Pipe tape or sealant on the new pipe. Someone with more experience can confirm.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by QC Inspector View Post
        I may be wrong, likely, but I believe you can remove that pipe with a pipe wrench and replace it with a longer one. Pipe tape or sealant on the new pipe. Someone with more experience can confirm.

Pete
        True, depending what they used in the wall, it should be visible I think, and that would be the best solution if it can be exchanged for a longer one

this is what is usually used and that would be easily exchanged for a longer one.

image.jpeg
        Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 04-29-2020, 12:35 PM.

Have fun and take care
        Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

In the picture it looks to be a copper pipe,therefore it's soldered in,but at the same time,it has plumbers tape on the outside,so maybe a threaded nipple
          my question would be,does your spout thread on, in that case,I would gently try to tread the nipple off,and install a longer one, or does your spout slide on then get secured with a set screw,in that case,it's a soldered assembly,you may get away with soldering on a union and adding a short length of copper pipe.
          Last edited by al.m..; 04-29-2020, 06:24 PM.

Comment

I have done a bit of thinking about this.usually the slip on spouts secure quite close to the wall,and the thread on ones require a more precisely sized nipple.
            if your spout is indeed thread on,and you are uncomfortable with putting a pipe wrench on the nipple,you could buy a slip on spout at just about anywhere that sells plumbing supplies,prob for under twenty bucks ,slide it on,snug the set screw,done.this assumes this a 1/2" pipe

Comment

A slip on spout with set screw would work much better against the tile.

Comment

If you pushed that bit of dry wall paper out of the way we could see what happens to that pipe inside the wall, if its like Leo says its possible to remove and replace with longer, I did a similar job recently the pipe thread had been crossed so I hoped to unscrew from wingback but it was a male fitting so I had to use a fitting as Leo shows as I had cut off the part of thread that had been crossed.

Comment

First thing is to find out how the pipe stub is connected in the wall. Then a fix can be made.
                  Egon
                  from
                  The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

What sort of tub spout do you want to use? I have not seen any with a threaded female to mate to your threaded female pipe. Unless I am mistaken most take a standard 1/2 copper pipe and seal via an O ring.

Comment

Originally posted by Egon View Post
                      First thing is to find out how the pipe stub is connected in the wall. Then a fix can be made.
                      OK who hijacked Egon's account? This makes sense.

Comment

Hey Guys save your breath (typing) the OP has never responded.
                        Jerome
                        Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
                        Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become whiskey.......but didn't....

Comment

Yeah but if a tree falls in the forest and there's no one there it still makes a sound. But I've always wondered the more important question, if a husband says something and his wife doesn't hear it is he still wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by Doug G View Post
                            Yeah but if a tree falls in the forest and there's no one there it still makes a sound.
                            Can you prove that?

Comment

Working...
                            X