Electrical wiring question for loft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical wiring question for loft

I am upgrading the loft above me shop and have two wiring questions. 1. I have a string of 3 lights with the power to the 3rd light on the string and a three way switch after the first light to a second three way switch. I have #14 3 between the switches and #14 2 wire for the light to the switch. Question 2. On a separate circuit I have another 3 lights with power to the first light after the switches and 3 wire between switches.
    How do I wire the lights and switches.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Electrical wiring question for loft

Sounds confusing to me, maybe start by stating what you want to accomplish. You have 3 lights on each of 2 seperate circuits. Do you want them to all turn on and off at the same time or do you require something different? How many locations do you want to turn the lights on and off from?

Comment

ditto... how about a wiring diagram? Home wiring is quite basic simple stuff.

Comment

Heres your wiring diagrams. I got these from a old book "Step by Step Guide Book on Home Wiring" that I scanned and turned into a PDF for my blog a couple of years ago. Your #1 is the top drawing and #2 the bottom drawing. Your power in is highlighted in red. Hope this helps, all the info required is there.

CCI05022020.jpg

Comment

Of the two 3way listed above, I prefer the second one and would run extra wire to do it that way. I really dislike having hot wires in the light boxes. I prefer that the hot wire is always in the electrical switch box. WHY? For me it is a safety thing. I like it that I know if the switch is off that everything inside the light box has NO POWER.
          Matt

People are like a box of chocolates. It's hard to tell initially which ones are nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by matt.mackinnon View Post
            Of the two 3way listed above, I prefer the second one and would run extra wire to do it that way. I really dislike having hot wires in the light boxes. I prefer that the hot wire is always in the electrical switch box. WHY? For me it is a safety thing. I like it that I know if the switch is off that everything inside the light box has NO POWER.
            Good, point. Little off topic but the other thing that I think the code allows but shouldn't is having wires from different circuits in the same box. Someone could shut off the breaker on the circuit they are working on and not realize there are still hot wires in the box.

Comment

I believe that in new work, a neutral wire is required in a switch box, whether it is used or not at present.

This is because now many switching devices such as occupancy sensors or timers require power....
              Regards, Rod
              Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
                I believe that in new work, a neutral wire is required in a switch box, whether it is used or not at present.

This is because now many switching devices such as occupancy sensors or timers require power....
                Regards, Rod
                So it appears that means the first diagram in Carlo's post doesn't meet code for new work?

Comment

Originally posted by Doug G View Post

So it appears that means the first diagram in Carlo's post doesn't meet code for new work?
                  Right

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Sheridan View Post

Regards, Rod
                    From "Electrciantalk.com".

" Rule 4-028 of the Ontario Electrical Safety Code specifies "how" a neutral conductor must be installed "when" it is required. If the neutral conductor is not required, which may be in the case of a light switch, this rule would not apply."

This is up to date, as far as I am aware, you may have other information. If so its an easy enough change. Run 12/3 from the first light to the first switch so you have a neutral also, and its harder to find but 12/4 from the first switch to the second switch to provide neutral connections when/if needed in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by drzaius View Post

Right
                      Wrong. Uncalled for aggression isn't always a free cookie.

Comment

Originally posted by Carlosinthesticks View Post

From "Electrciantalk.com".

" Rule 4-028 of the Ontario Electrical Safety Code specifies "how" a neutral conductor must be installed "when" it is required. If the neutral conductor is not required, which may be in the case of a light switch, this rule would not apply."

This is up to date, as far as I am aware, you may have other information. If so its an easy enough change. Run 12/3 from the first light to the first switch so you have a neutral also, and its harder to find but 12/4 from the first switch to the second switch to provide neutral connections when/if needed in the future.
                        CEC 4-028 sub rule 2 I believe applies.....Rod
                        Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Originally posted by Carlosinthesticks View Post

Wrong. Uncalled for aggression isn't always a free cookie.
                          And a wet bird never flies at night but what is your point?

Comment

Originally posted by Doug G View Post

And a wet bird never flies at night but what is your point?
                            I got all day today so this if fun. Who asked you? Anyway it poured two nights ago here and the sparrows where all over my lawn after the sun dropped below the horizon. Figure that . That will teach me to help a guy out. Right Doug.
                            Last edited by Carlosinthesticks; 05-03-2020, 03:31 PM.

Comment

OK Carlos, the wet bird line is from an old joke from the 70's that no one but me seems to remember or think was funny (including my wife). https://www.waywordradio.org/wet-bir...lies-at-night/
                              My point was I didn't understand how your comment related to the thread. You gave some good advice that included a wiring diagram that according to Rod no longer meets code for new work. Frank just agreed with my understanding of what Rod posted with respect to the diagram. No offence intended by me or I assume by Frank or Rod. No one has to ask me, we all have the right to post our comments whether they are good advice like your post or Rod's and Frank's or my clarification of Rod's post or my failed attempt at humour. Can you explain what your comment meant?

Comment

Working...
                              X