Root Concerns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Root Concerns?

Should I have concerns of roots from these spruce trees with my foundation? Foundation is concrete. Bought this house end of last summer. The bit of 20200504_121011.jpg shade is nice but don't need roots wrecking my foundation.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Root Concerns?

I don't think spruce have deep roots. Lots of big ones around the cottage and I haven't had a problem.

Comment

It looks far enough from the foundation. If you have a sound poured concrete foundation with no cracks, shouldn't be a problem. Older block foundations with weak joints could be a problem. Having a tree that close to the house, the biggest threat could be fire or high wind storms.

Comment

Yeah, spruce trees spread like fingers only a couple feet deep. I've seen bigger trees fall over and the root system that comes up can be a 10-15' spread.

From what I've seen the foundation is really sound and solid. One thing I looked for when buying was any visible cracks.

Comment

Brian,
          I had 5 spruce and one fir circa 1969 along my back fence. The fir was closest to the house, about 10 feet. No issues. We had to take them down in 2018. I don't think evergreen roots are as agressive as deciduous species. There are poplars in the park behind my house that seem to need to bust up the asphalt walking paths more than just growing down.
          scroudt likes this.

Comment

Hi Brian, normally the fine roots of a tree end at the end of the trees branches/limbs, where the rain is directed coming down from the branches, at the drip line.

In your picture it looks like the tips of the lower branches are rubbing against the wall, maybe a good idea to trim those some or remove, if there are no cracks or openings the roots can get into and then grow thicker/longer I would not worried about them, besides you can use a spade and trim the roots also if you worry about it.

I’ll tell you a story of what happened with a house I lived in for 5 years and moved out to a house I bought, the rented house did not have a basement just a cellar, a large Manitoba Maple grew about 10 to 12 feet from the front corner and apparently a root had grown under the house, and about 2 years after the new owners came over to us all upset, as the house had a split wall, in and outside (Brick wall), of course it had nothing to do with us or the owner the house, it took some thinking of what could be the reason, yup the root had grown over the years and eventually lifted the house, and the wall split, the reason was there was no basement just a shallow foundation, as the house was build a hundred years before on plain sand and they just did not have a full basements.

I never went back to see if the removed the root and if the wall settled down again maybe.
            scroudt likes this.

Have fun and take care
            Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...
            Working...
            X