Frustrated with Robertson screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frustrated with Robertson screws

I have tried a few different suppliers for deck screws and fond them all to have poorly fitting socket. The hole for the bit is too shallow to hold the screw. The are not much better than a Philips which I hate. I have tried replacing the bit and that is not the problem.
    Does anyone have any recommended brands or suppliers.
    Bob just past Ayr
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Frustrated with Robertson screws

There seems to be two types, Robertson and square and they don't interchange well. Robertson bits have a taper and the square is almost straight sided or at least that is what I have found. The Burford Home Hardware has had good ones in bulk for some time; I haven't tried their boxes of screws.
    John@Hamilton, WCraig and callee like this.

Comment

I redid my deck last year and used the Stainless Steel screws from Home Hardware. They come in a plastic jar of 500 I believe. I used 2 full jars and only had one screw F"up. and it was my fault. I believe they are #8 or so. No complaints with them. Just used a Milwaukee #2 bit and had to toss the first one about halfway thru.

Funny through all this Covid thing I have been a regular at my local Home Hardware. They even matched the online price for my new Weber BBQ!!
      Mike
      Les Groeller and schor like this.

Comment

I have found the problem to be the screws. My solution was to use a Kreg driver. Problem solved.
        MartyFromKingston likes this.
        The older I get, the better I was.........

Comment

I also had a problem with drivers slipping no matter whose deck screws I used. At the local TimbrMart they gave me some no-name brand driver that looked to have little serrations running up the driver part. I hardly had a slip since.

Comment

GRK Climatek screws. They have Torx heads that never strip. HD has them typically on their own display in the pro/lumber area and not in the hardware section.
            Last edited by Lost in the Woods; 05-07-2020, 11:33 AM.
            Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Lost in the Woods View Post
              GRK Climatek screws. They have Torx heads that never strip. HD has them typically on their own display in the pro/lumber area and not in the hardware section.
              That may have been the name on the drivers they gave me. I used GRK construction screws in my deck a couple of years ago and they were great. They came with GRK Torx drivers and rarely slipped.

Comment

If I;m doing a bunch of screws, I go through my collection of squarish bits testing them with the screws I'm going to use and pick the one with the best fit. Often it is a Robertson vs square recess issue but not always, it can be a bit vs screw issue.
                billh

Comment

Oh just go with slots it was good enough for your father it should be good enough for you.
                  iamtooler, Redneck Albertan and Egon like this.
                  Jerome
                  Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
                  Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become whiskey.......but didn't....

Comment

I like the Milwaukee bits.
                    They don’t last forever, I toss them when they start to get rounded.

I’ve found the issue is usually with the screws, especially with coated deck screws.
                    The coating fills in the heads and means the driver can’t seat properly.

Nathan

Comment

I like the Milwaukee bits.
                      They don’t last forever, I toss them when they start to get rounded.

I’ve found the issue is usually with the screws, especially with coated deck screws.
                      The coating fills in the heads and means the driver can’t seat properly.

Nathan

Comment

Thanks everyone for your suggestions . I will go over to Burford and try some of theirs if I am not satisfied I will try the GRK screws I was trying to think of them but couldn't remember the name. I definitely will not be going back to slots
                        Bob just past Ayr

Comment

A tour of the P L Robertson plant, back when we still had somewhat of a manufacturing industry for more than just a few things,

One of my favorite shows as a kid, Acme School of Stuff, among lots of other excellent programs from TVO back in the late 70's, 80's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td7GjAMAY7Y

Comment

Originally posted by Bob just past Ayr View Post
                            Thanks everyone for your suggestions . I will go over to Burford and try some of theirs if I am not satisfied I will try the GRK screws I was trying to think of them but couldn't remember the name. I definitely will not be going back to slots
                            Bob -- there are 2 different kinds of drivers and screws. One is Robertson and the other is square drive. There are also 2 different drivers to insert these screws. Richelieu has both kinds of each. FWI W JMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob just past Ayr View Post
                              I definitely will not be going back to slots
                              What you don't want blood all over your deck?
                              Jerome
                              Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
                              Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become whiskey.......but didn't....

Comment

Working...
                              X