Eavestrough Repair Method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eavestrough Repair Method

I have been battling some leaks at the corners of our eavestroughs for some time now. The troughs are continuous run aluminum with mitred corners. I have tried TREMCO eavestrough sealant without any success. I have seen you tube videos that recommend using a piece of fibreglass drywall tape or window screen embedded in between two layers of roof patch compound. Should I expect this method to be a better longer lasting fix? Are there better alternatives for stopping the leaks?
    Thank you for any comments you may have.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Eavestrough Repair Method

I've got 50 foot pieces on either side of my home. Those lengths expand and contract so much. I gave up on stopping those corners from leaking with sealant and put a downpipe at each one.
    Merv in Regina likes this.

Comment

I struggled for a couple years and tried several different products and I think I have now solved my problems. I had tried different caulking/sealant and finally found one that seems to work. It is very thick and I find it difficult to work with but it works. I dug out all the old sealant and made sure it was really dry.
      https://www.tremcosealants.com/marke...s/gutter-seal/
      Jamie www.turneddesignsbyjamie.etsy.com

Comment

Thank you Bender and Jaywood. I measured my eavestrough length at 55 feet, so I think Bender has a made good point. I subsequently noted in a US Sheet Metal trade publication that 50 ft is maximum to avoid possible expansion problems. Our annual temperature range here would exacerbate the problem. Jaywood, I did try the tremco product and it slowed the leak down for a while but did not last long. My application technique may be at fault too.

Comment

Working...
        X