Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I reattach "formica" counter topping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How do I reattach "formica" counter topping?

Originally posted by bkrits View Post
    If you apply too much heat to formica it will burn bubble and blister, formica is made of brown paper and epoxy when they bend it called post forming they heat it using a long heat bar and timed to the second then bend it as for the upstand for a sink splash back I have seen whole tops remade because someone timed it wrongly, be careful.
    I've used a regular household iron on high heat on plastic laminate & never had any ill effects. I do use a thin cloth between it & the iron & keep the iron moving.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Long ago when talking to a glue supplier about adhesive for shoe sole repairs he recommended standard contact adhesive but to let it dry totally then warm it with a heat gun and put the 2 parts together he told me it made the contact cement more waterproof and stronger.

Comment

Originally posted by Just another hack View Post

This was the point I was trying to make. I have made lots of post formed tops with the long heating element, and I’ve had to redo lots of tops because they were overheated or not heated enough. The problem is if you overheat it and it pops, the top is garbage. Apparently the consensus is heat does reactivate the contact cement, so I guess it’s up to the original poster if he wants to do it. As for mixing wood glue and contact, I’ve done lots of tight radius tops with both glues and had success. When doing a postformed top with both, if it pops and has to be removed, it will have to be chipped off where the white glue is. Perhaps it’s the difference of old glue versus new glue. Don’t know...all I know is it’s worked for me
        Yes I can relate to what you were involve with, I used to be involved with the kind of shop you worked in here in NZ, one wall was covered with rejects tops it was costly when things went wrong, then I was asked to oversee the sale of all the rejects I got a big one myself I cut off the damage and had a good top, some of the rejects top I almost gave away at the time, we also had a workshop making tops from the man made composite marble type stuff we bought in from Australia and that had just as many problems.

Comment

Originally posted by bkrits View Post
          Long ago when talking to a glue supplier about adhesive for shoe sole repairs he recommended standard contact adhesive but to let it dry totally then warm it with a heat gun and put the 2 parts together he told me it made the contact cement more waterproof and stronger.
          This method works with carpenters glue as well. I use it for paper backed veneer. You roll on the glue on both surfaces and leave it overnight to dry then the next morning apply the veneer with a hot iron with a cloth interface. never had a call back or failure using this method.

Comment

Follow-up:
            I used my "melamine edge-tape attaching iron" from my shop set at 'cotton,' and used an old T-shirt to protect the surface.
            Went slowly, but not too slowly.
            Used Talon, and One-Way Chucks, 2 bottles of Mott's Garden Cocktail, and a couple of wine bottles as weights.
            Seems to be fine.
            Thanks
            Doug G likes this.
            Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
            'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
            "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Originally posted by dave_k View Post

This method works with carpenters glue as well. I use it for paper backed veneer. You roll on the glue on both surfaces and leave it overnight to dry then the next morning apply the veneer with a hot iron with a cloth interface. never had a call back or failure using this method.
              Thanks to you and bkrits for the great heat and stick tips!
              billh
              dave_k and beachburl like this.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...
              Working...
              X