Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Slippery Shower Base Pan

Hello All

My elderly in laws just had an acrylic shower base pan installed in their home; it is so slippery that we are now faced with removing and replacing it.

The pan is a GLACIER BAY 60 inch x 32 inch Acrylic Shower Base with Right Concealed Drain Model # 6032CDR-W-GB which was purchased from Home Depot.

I would appreciate any advice on this:

1) Is acrylic an inherently slippery? Are there materials that are less slippery than acrylic?

2) Is there any way to make the installed unit less slippery (e.g. cleaning with acetone to remove wax, non-slip spray-on coatings etc.)?

3) Any recommendations for a shower pan that is specially designed to be non-slippery?

Thanks in advance

• Thread Continues Below...

Re: HELP! Slippery Shower Base Pan

...strange since the product description on HD website indicates A low threshold base and anti-slip surface with a fully reinforced bottom make it the perfect choice for every day use.
    Please forgive me for asking - did the installers remove the protectrice film on the base before they left the job site?

Comment

There are non slip additives for paint, you could prep the base by scuffing the surface with sandpaper and paint it with a good quality paint with the additive. Paint store or big box store paint department should carry it and be able to advise on paint to use. I used one of them on a shower base that I repaired a crack in and it worked until we replaced the shower a few years later. https://www.homedepot.ca/product/beh...85g/1000112335

Comment

Just get the rubber bath/shower mat with the suction cups on the underside. It takes all the slip out.
        dwoody likes this.

Comment

Thanks folks. Yes the contractor removed the film (that was my first thought too). I found a site called "No Skidding" that sells all sorts of remedies for this - that said it should not be slippery in the first place! I will be followin up with Galcier Bay - but I'm sure they wont compensate for the installation cost. https://www.noskidsafety.ca/

Comment

Maybe you should follow up with the contractor, they should stand behind the products they install and go after the manufacturer themselves.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by Looking_West View Post
              I will be followin up with Galcier Bay - but I'm sure they wont compensate for the installation cost. https://www.noskidsafety.ca/
              If the contractor was recommended for the job by Home Depot, or was done thru' the Home Depot builder's desk it would be good to speak to them also.

Comment

I once had a problem with a Glacier Bay faucet. I washed a part down the drain, obviously not their fault . I called their service line and told them what happened and they couriered me replacement parts at no charge even for the freight. So I would not write them off if you are not satisfied.
                Bob just past Ayr

Comment

I’m wondering if it could be a one off problem, such as a defect in the finish. ie... the non-slip was missed at the factory.

We are shopping for shower bases right now, so I am interested to hear what’s up with this.
                  Darrin

Timber Elegance
                  My Etsy Store

Comment

Originally posted by darrin1200 View Post
                    I’m wondering if it could be a one off problem, such as a defect in the finish. ie... the non-slip was missed at the factory.

We are shopping for shower bases right now, so I am interested to hear what’s up with this.
                    These guys make great bases for the money. I've used a few and always been happy.

Comment

Working...
                    X