Better than Home Depot door casings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better than Home Depot door casings?

There are many nice quality interior doors available at big box stores, but I have not seen matching quality door casing, only cheap ones. I have typically made my own out of 5/8 or 3/4 MDF but wonder if there is an alternative? I am renovating one floor of a 100 year old triplex in Montreal...
    Thanks

Last edited by EFZauner; 07-05-2020, 10:12 PM.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Better than Home Depot door casings?

I've renovated several duplex/triplex apartments in Montreal for myself, and have always opted for my own casings. It is not a big job, and you can custom fit them for wall thickness (the store-bought are almost never the right width, and walls are often twisted too). I don't know what kind of doors you are hanging, but if you use wooden doors it is also easy to match species. If you're installing cheap doors for a rental unit, cheap casings can work, but there's nothing like wood especially if you want respect the old style, if you want to rent for more, or if you will be living there yourself. You'll still have to shim the cheap ones anyways so it's really not much more work, not counting the finishing. Door frames/casings can also be painted with the walls.
    Last edited by Frank D.; 07-05-2020, 11:05 PM.
    Frank
    SPCHT

Comment

I shudder every time I am in a big box store and see people leaving with door casings or any other MDF trim for that matter. I have a friend that runs a moulding operation and all his trim for jams and casings is a full 3/4 inch thick minus the profile. He does not make MDF mouldings and most trim is for paint and poplar is used. Most of his business is builders in this area. The trend in this area now in better built homes is door casings with just a very slight round over on the edges and this also applies to base boards. Anyone in this area needs any amount of trim drop me a msg and I will give you his ph #.
      Brian
      Darrell likes this.
      If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

I don't mind the mdf trim, it paints up nicely. The box stores overcharge though. I get often get poplar in the same sizes and profiles at Central Fairbank for less than Depot charges for mdf.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank D. View Post
          I've renovated several duplex/triplex apartments in Montreal for myself, and have always opted for my own casings. It is not a big job, and you can custom fit them for wall thickness (the store-bought are almost never the right width, and walls are often twisted too). I don't know what kind of doors you are hanging, but if you use wooden doors it is also easy to match species. If you're installing cheap doors for a rental unit, cheap casings can work, but there's nothing like wood especially if you want respect the old style, if you want to rent for more, or if you will be living there yourself. You'll still have to shim the cheap ones anyways so it's really not much more work, not counting the finishing. Door frames/casings can also be painted with the walls.
          What kind of wood do you use for the casings? will all be most likely painted. Not looking for natural wood finish. I can rip myself and have a router jig for the hinges etc.

Comment

Almost any wood will do. I've used maple and pine to go with natural finish doors, but if you're going to paint them any knot-free wood will do (poplar is good, pine too). If you buy your wood from a big-box store and you want pine I recommend getting big pieces of knotty pine with some good clear stretches in them, it is way cheaper than buying clear pine and often the wood is nicer once the knots are cut out (just choose your pieces well). If you can get poplar cheaper than pine that would probably be the best choice.
            Frank
            SPCHT

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Please excuse my lack of paragraphs .... the forum isn't letting me use the enter key. I don't know the Montreal market but there are always better options than HD for trim .... you just have to search a little .... google maps is your friend. Your options for paint grade finisher are MDF trim are finger joint pine, MDF and poplar. My preference is poplar .... it mils nice and crisp and is usually a full 3/4" thick. Poplar is the go to for bigger, thicker mouldings and higher end jobs and the price reflects it. MDF is also a full 3/4" thick, holds a crisp edge and paints beautifully. As a carpenter I have no problem working with either and in my own house I used poplar for everything except for painted crown. Often to save money I do the window and door trim (standing trim) in poplar and base, chair and crown (running trim) in MDF. Finger joint pine is generally thin and is milled kinda flat and rounded. It's about as cheap as you can get. The extra thickness of the material and crisp lines gives a job a richer look.
              Last edited by dave_k; 07-09-2020, 02:35 PM.

Comment

thanks all, we dont have a lot of choices The best place for lumber would probably be https://www.langevinforest.com/en/ but there must be others that focus on such supplies.

Comment

Working...
                X