Stair to sloped deck question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stair to sloped deck question.

I'm getting close to completing some decks off the house. A pair off the kitchen with an upper and lower deck and one off the workshop. The stairs off the kitchen decks were no problem as the treads are parallel to the deck. The shop stairs which I'm about to do will come to the side of the deck that is pitched away from the house 2 1/2" over 12'. I'm making 4' wide steps so the pitch is about 7/8". Do people set the riser height to the middle of the opening or to one side or the other? One end would be 7/16" lower than ideal and the other 7/16" higher. I'd rather not have anyone trip and take a tumble down the steps. My plan is to the middle unless someone can point to a flaw in the thinking. Can't do it at the end of the deck as that will be where I back my pickup to for loading and unloading. Thanks.

Pete
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Stair to sloped deck question.

It's supposed to be 'along the path of travel' .... at least that's how it's stated in reference to winders. The code also says you can't deviate more than +/- 1/4" in rise so there's that. You could just build the stairs to follow the slope of the deck then make it up on the ground. How wide are the stairs? 7/8 over 6' is much less noticeable than than 7/8 over 3'.

Comment

The width is going to be 4 feet wide so if taking the plus and minus of the traveled path as a foot either side of centre then it would be +/- a little less than 1/4". Full width and it is +/- 7/16". I'm not too keen on making the stairs slope to match the deck as they might be slippery in the winter. I'll put a hand rail on the house side and other end will have the aluminium railing. I guess I'll see what the inspector says. If he wants it to slope and match the deck I'll make new ones to comply. :( Because the Fiberon decking instructions for stair treads require stringers every foot they can't be unscrewed and nudged into a new position.

Pete

Comment

The building code recognizes there will be situations where it is not possible to make the stair treads exactly parallel to the adjacent surface they abut.
        This is an excerpt from the BC building code which I believe is as stated in the national version.
        “ 2) Except for required exit stairs, where the top or bottom riser in a stair adjoins a sloping finished walking surface, such as a garage floor, driveway or sidewalk, the height of the riser across the stair shall vary by not more than 1 in 12”
        Therefore, the approach you, QC Inspector, are proposing should be acceptable. With the small variation (well below what is permitted), the stairs would not be unsafe in my opinion. I would accept them.

Comment

Thank you Inspector Ron for your reassuring first post and welcome to the forum. I'll be starting on them in the next day or two.

Pete

Comment

Working...
          X