undermount sink in a wooden countertop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• undermount sink in a wooden countertop

Can anyone tell me how they did this wand what finish they used on the wood?
    When someone tells you it can't be done, it's a reflection of their limitations, not yours.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: undermount sink in a wooden countertop

I've done it many times.   In fact, I recommend undermount for wood counters.   In my experience, with a drop in sink the seal around the edge inevitably gets water in, and then it is trapped between the wood and the underside of the sink, and rots out fast!  

With an undermount, all the cut wood edge is nice and exposed so it can dry and be maintained.  

Most of mine are finished with a blend of tung oil and bees wax.   That finish is very durable, I find, but must be maintained, so the client has to go into it eyes wide open that they are making a commitment.  

In some cases, normally where the client simply knows they won't maintain the oil finish, I've gone with a film finish.   I've used a marine varnish, then an industrial product by finitek, but recently I was just talking with a finisher who told me he uses Rubio monocoat exclusively and swears by it, so it's on my to-do list to check that out.   IMG_20200513_1735595.jpg
    Last edited by callee; 07-24-2020, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Also, remember, your wood counter must be allowed to move, so you can't screw and hang the sink off the underside of the counter like you normally would. I always design the sink cabinet to support the sink independently of the counter, then use a good stretchy caulking to seal between the top of the sink and the underside of the counter.   The counter floats over the sink.

Comment

thanks, excellent advice Ryan.
        When someone tells you it can't be done, it's a reflection of their limitations, not yours.

Comment

Ryan. Nice looking countertop

Brian
          beachburl likes this.
          If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

Few years ago I did a farmhouse sink, birch countertop & large L-shaped walnut top island.
            Used Waterlox based on info from these guys:http://www.devoswoodworking.com/wood...untertops.html

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by Brian @ Muir View Post
              Ryan. Nice looking countertop

Brian
              Thanks! Solid walnut.    

Comment

I put in a bamboo counter with an undermounnt in our 5th wheel. It's ​just been used for 3 months over 3 years, but looks good as new even though it's treated like a camper counter. Secured with screws and sealed with Lexell. Finish is 3 or 4 coats of Arm-R-Seal

Comment

Working...
                X