Poplar Vs Birch 1/2” plywood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poplar Vs Birch 1/2” plywood

I’m finally getting around to finishing a room that was once attic space 8x24’  with an 8’ wall on one side and 41/2’ knee wall on the other. It has since been used as a catchall for any and everything not used, ie; junk. I have the floor leveled with new subfloor and underlayment plywood all is ready for floor covering. This will be a very slightly used bedroom space and a half bath  with a saniflo toilet that also can handle a vanity sink. My project right now is to build a false wall 40” wide set in 6 inches from the 40” wall already there. This is to be able hide my plumbing and electrical behind it for the vanity, mirror and bath light above the mirror. I also has an attic access that I need to make a panel to slip in the opening to seal it from the remaining attic where a lot of other unused, but boxed, stuff is stored.
        Everything will be painted. Poplar plywood or birch plywood as a paintable surface. I’ve used birch before and it’s good, but about $20/sheet pricier than poplar. The vanity wall won’t have a lot showing above vanity and around mirror.
        So what’s the best one to use.

The reason for the Saniflo is I have no way of running conventional plumbing. Not enough head space to raise the floor enough to add 3” piping.

• Thread Continues Below...

Re: Poplar Vs Birch 1/2” plywood

I guess my first question would be ... why not use water resistant drywall around the wet areas and regular elsewhere?   Unless the ply is for providing a good backboard for screwing things to, it seems that drywall would be safest and easiest and cheapest?

Comment

Well, the access panel definitely has to be wood or wood product. It’s 28” wide by 48” tall and will be made to drop into a slot to keep it in place. So it cannot be any form of drywall. The false wall will have a mirror, light fixture, GFI receptacle hanging off of it in the front and plumbing piping in the back. There is no stud frame behind it. It will be attached to the wall on one side by a wood plate on the wall and the same on the floor and ceiling. The exposed end of the cavity created by the false wall will have an access door.

The question was pretty simple. Which plywood takes a finish better.  

Comment

Poplar would be just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill R. View Post
          Poplar would be just fine.
          thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike in Waubaushene View Post
            The question was pretty simple. Which plywood takes a finish better.  

They both take paint equally well.   Poplar is cheaper?   Poplar.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...
            Working...
            X