Spiral Staircase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spiral Staircase

Here is my latest project. There had been a steel staircase there before centered around an old hydro pole that was rotten off at the base. I saw this concept on another forum and went about building one. It all comes together on a galvanized steel pole which has an outside diameter of 1 7/8”. I cemented the pole into a 10” tube. I built the steps which are 7” high with a radius from the centre of the hole at 36”. The steps are 11” wide at the outer edge and spaced 1” apart so that every step takes you 1’ on a 19’ circumference. Nothing was really difficult other then the rail which i glued up using Gorilla Glue. The strips are 2 1/2” by 5/16” of pine. I used 4 strips to give me a thickness of 1 1/4” thick. I glued one strip at a time.
    stotto, John Bartley and 4 others like this.
    Wayne
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Spiral Staircase

That looks great!

Comment

that looks great. Is the top of the post supported or is it just the top step that is attached to the balcony? Did you find some instructions or figure everything from scratch?

Comment

The top step is screwed to the deck joist. I saw a picture on another forum and he gave a few details and i took it from there. I took a lot of pics while i was progressing and if anyone decides to build one i would be glad to provide any info they might need.
        Wayne

Comment

No as not to take credit for someone else's design i am posting the website where i got the idea https://www.lumberjocks.com/projects/10107
          Wayne

Comment

As you can see from these photos the steps aren't complicated. The posts are 1 1/2 square and 48” long. I cut two dados 3” wide and 1/4” deep tapered to 7/16” towards the center. The first one is up 1 1/2” on the left and then up another 4” to start the second one on the right.
            Beaverfever1988 likes this.
            Wayne

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Hi with tape etc and it appears close but not finished. Will you have another fully completed photo with no tape etc? I have walked a rather tall cast iron stair set but it a lot taller and makes you loose breath before reaching the top. It is nice seeing a similar idea in wood. I wouldn’t have considered that idea before. Great work.

Comment

Here are pictures requested by Wood Grower. If anyone decides to build one i will gladly assist in any way i can with pics and or techniques. I didn't have much to go on when i built mine so if i can save someone else the head work i will.
                Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by hoeeee View Post
                  Here are pictures requested by Wood Grower. If anyone decides to build one i will gladly assist in any way i can with pics and or techniques. I didn't have much to go on when i built mine so if i can save someone else the head work i will.
                  Yes looks a lot better than the wood sticking up.  I probably would have wanted to make your 'mid rail' wrap around with the railing but that choice you made to square off looks easier to do and still looks good! 

Comment

Working...
                  X