Non graded lumber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non graded lumber

Does anyone know if non graded lumber 2 x 4 for non supporting walls are acceptable in new construction ?
    Bob just past Ayr
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Non graded lumber

Received clarification from our local building department and they say I have taken a look in Part 9 of the Ontario Building Code regarding the use of ungraded lumber for interior non-loadbearing walls. You are required to use graded lumber for non-loadbearing walls, with the minimum grade being Utility, No. 3.

Bob just past Ayr

Comment

All lumber used in a house is supposed to be graded. Just a lesser grade for non-loadbearing applications.
      Technically this applies to accessory buildings also, but there may be some leeway for sheds, workshops etc.

Comment

Sorry, I didn't see you update before I sent my response. Not doing an "I told you so"

Comment

Could somebody explain the rationale for requiring graded lumber to hold up drywall and paint.
          stotto likes this.
          If a man speaks in the forest, and there's no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong

Comment

I think that regardless of the codes, there are places where they tend to go a bit easier. Up here in the boonies we have been able to use rough lumber and build our own trusses for anything that is not habitation. My garage, and the garage that my B.I.L. built a decade ago are all rough, used, recycled and home built trusses. This is still happening today.
            smallerstick likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Inspector Ron View Post
              Sorry, I didn't see you update before I sent my response. Not doing an "I told you so"
              Ron I certainly did not take it that way at all. It is interesting if the code is being interpreted the same way across the country
              Bob just past Ayr

Comment

The reasons for graded lumber for non-loadbearing walls. There are a few.
                1) The requirement also applies to walls that may not be loadbearing but may be a fire separation used in a house with a suite or a small commercial building. It matters in these situations that the members are actually graded as a stud, not for example made out of pallets. (which I have seen attempted)
                2) Consistency for builders. It's not fair for someone to bid a job less because they are going to use deficient material.
                3) The lumber producers have to follow grading rules at a cost to their business. Again, it's a fairness situation. There are many code standards manufacturers and suppliers must comply with and the building code is actually a business tool for them.

That said, as already pointed out' some use of non-standard materials may be accepted given local circumstances. If a home owner asked me about using ungraded lumber for say a closet, for which a permit wasn't required, I would leave it up to them to decide.
                smallerstick likes this.

Comment

Just to clarify I am wanting to use non graded is to have a better quality than what is generally available at the lumber store. I have used this material around the farm for years for projects that did not require inspection.Much of the material from luber stores will twist and bend and would be more suited for hockey sticks than framing a wall.
                  In my conversations with my local inspector I may be able to have a local lumber grader grade the lumber and use it. It would be graded but not stamped. This may be a reasonable compromise that I am investigating.
                  stotto likes this.
                  Bob just past Ayr

Comment

That is a good option.
                    Egon
                    from
                    The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

I started using steel studs about 20 years ago. I find them much easier to work with and your walls are also straight which makes it a whole lot easier when applying trim. For applying trim their are trim screws with a much smaller head and not much harder to fill than a 16 gauge pin. There is a subdivision of high end homes around the Mike Weir Golf course in Sarnia. I know that some of those homes have interior walls, non load bearing , that are steel studs. I haven’t price steel studs in a year but suspect they are cheaper than current price of lumber
                      If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

whats the limit on weight hanging on steel studs. One commercial job had to be rebuilt by their car painter after they said the wall could not support my cabinets.

Comment

I have not thought of steel studs. I will look into them next week Thanks Brian
                          Bob just past Ayr

Comment

Originally posted by Sawdust View Post
                            whats the limit on weight hanging on steel studs. One commercial job had to be rebuilt by their car painter after they said the wall could not support my cabinets.
                            ...We had a similar question voiced during a Murphy Bed construction seminar at LV. The ability of such a wall (steel studs) to provide sufficient fastening strength was questioned. Not sure if an answer from a credible source exists; I have not done the research.

Sorry Bob for taking the the conversation on a tangent.

Regards,

J.

Comment

Jacques No problem I am aware that everything has its pros and cons. We need look at both all sides.
                              Bob just past Ayr

Comment

Working...
                              X