Garage 'ceiling height'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage 'ceiling height'

I have a concrete block wall garage with a wooden roof and everything to hold it up. Inside the wood goes straight across from wall to wall. Is it possible to cut off that long piece and change the ceiling height into a vaulted ceiling to give more working height inside the garage? And if this is possible, how do you go about getting it done?

Thank you.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Garage 'ceiling height'

Is your roof built with trusses or rafters?

Comment

I am not really sure? But when I see a picture of Trusses it seems mine might look more like that, but I don't think I have all the steel it shows at the connections. Here is an image sort of resembling what I think it looks like : https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/bui...-for-beginners.

Comment

Originally posted by Wood Grower View Post
        I am not really sure? But when I see a picture of Trusses it seems mine might look more like that, but I don't think I have all the steel it shows at the connections. Here is an image sort of resembling what I think it looks like : https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/bui...-for-beginners.
        How about a photo ?
        beachburl likes this.

Comment

You can see where at wall it hooks to wood hold on roof. And also 2 different boards holding with horizontal board. This is sort of mirrored to other side so like 4 boards helping to hold up horizontal board.

Comment

The whole garage isn’t super tall but I could gain some good headroom . It’s only inches above overhead door height inside.
            Attached Files

Comment

The best thing to do is have the local building inspector over and ask them they would have to sign off on it anyway.
              Jerome
              Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
              CARPENTER noun. (car-pun-ter)
              1) A person who solves problems you can't.
              2) One who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data, provided by those of questionable knowledge. see also: wizard, magician.

Comment

I would not want to be removing any of that roofing wood it it was mine, unless of course I didn't mind it collapsing, all of that wood is there for a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by bkrits View Post
                  I would not want to be removing any of that roofing wood it it was mine, unless of course I didn't mind it collapsing, all of that wood is there for a reason.
                  I kind of don’t care care if it collapses however there must be a way to rework the wood to have a vaulted ceiling and retain the strength? I don’t care if I need a forest to build it vaulted wood isn’t the concern. The concern is if it is possible to remove the horizontal wood and have the wood change angles to still support the overhead load.

Comment

Originally posted by Wood Grower View Post

I kind of don’t care care if it collapses however there must be a way to rework the wood to have a vaulted ceiling and retain the strength? I don’t care if I need a forest to build it vaulted wood isn’t the concern. The concern is if it is possible to remove the horizontal wood and have the wood change angles to still support the overhead load.
                    If collapsing is no concern, then disassemble it in an orderly fashion and rebuild it the way you want it that is done within building codes. Removing a pile of collapsed building is a daunting task. Is it a stand alone garage or part of a house. If it’s attached, that goes along way in determining your course of action. Sometimes, well actually all the time, collapsing takes down things that aren’t part of the plans. Like the concert blocks could be pushed outward. What is the actual height from floor to joists? 8’ is typical.

Comment

This is a stick framed roof and you can't just remove all of the ceiling joists. They are what is keeping the ridge/roof in place. The joists could be removed if a beam was installed directly under the ridge, but this would involve a fair amount of work. Don't know the dimensions of the garage, but the beam may have to be substantial and supported properly at each end with posts, another beam over the door and possible upgrading of the foundation. The other option that has already been mentioned is to remove the roof and installed scissor trusses that would give you some vault. Yes, talk to the building official. There may be other issues not directly related to how it is constructed.
                      Wood Grower likes this.

Comment

I think that the roof could be jacked up and a couple three new courses of blocks added to get the needed height. That does hinge on whether the building is attached or free standing and being able to get matching siding.

Comment

Go gothic and install some flying buttresses on the side walls!

Seriously though, call up a structural engineer. They will tell you what can and can't be done.

Comment

Any experienced carpenter should be able to open up the roof structure safely given enough wood to work with and maybe keeping one or two ties. The key here is experience, your questions don't inspire confidence in your knowledge to the point we should be encouraging you to DIY.
                            Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Mike in Waubaushene View Post

If collapsing is no concern, then disassemble it in an orderly fashion and rebuild it the way you want it that is done within building codes. Removing a pile of collapsed building is a daunting task. Is it a stand alone garage or part of a house. If it’s attached, that goes along way in determining your course of action. Sometimes, well actually all the time, collapsing takes down things that aren’t part of the plans. Like the concert blocks could be pushed outward. What is the actual height from floor to joists? 8’ is typical.
                              Detached and probably 7-8’. I didn’t measure but it too low. Probably I don’t need to touch part above overhead door because I open door and lost height again. But in reality could stay higher and be ok.

Comment

Working...
                              X