X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Garage 'ceiling height'

Originally posted by cstephens2 View Post

"In the case under discussion in this thread, what I would likely do is "

Saying thats not a suggestion is hair splitting on your part. Sorry. Not Sorry.
    LOL ... ok.

Moving on.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by John Bartley View Post

LOL ... ok.

Moving on.
      Lol ... ok.

Yes

Comment

That's nice to see. Civilized behaviour.

Pete

Comment

What is your long term plan for this building?

Are you planning on tearing it down and building a new one?
          When?

Or are you thinking if you can get the ceiling height then you will keep it?

It is a concrete block building correct?
          How is the roof structure attached to the blocks?

Lifting the entire roof and adding another two rows of block might be an option.

If you are thinking the building might be torn down and replaced in the near future then I personally wouldn’t spend any time or effort on improving it.

Nathan

Comment

Originally posted by nnieman View Post
            What is your long term plan for this building?

Are you planning on tearing it down and building a new one?
            When?

Or are you thinking if you can get the ceiling height then you will keep it?

It is a concrete block building correct?
            How is the roof structure attached to the blocks?

Lifting the entire roof and adding another two rows of block might be an option.

If you are thinking the building might be torn down and replaced in the near future then I personally wouldn’t spend any time or effort on improving it.

Nathan
            I am not 100% sure it’s future. I do know I hate it as is and I do know lifting roof is not an option. I want a new building mine is too small. I can barely move. It is like car and a half with about 7-8 foot height. The wall appears to have wood laying on top of wall and probably attached to the wall top of concrete blocks. Then everything looks built on top of that wood. We are talking 40-50% of the length to raise and it isn’t very long. Maybe 25 feet. Never put a car in so not sure.... I wouldn’t even try putting a car in. It’s stupid the way it is build too close to the house about a car width and open both doors on each side kind of distance from the house. I want high ceiling building with lots of floor space. If I can get headroom in existing I can finish startup of my machines tool them and maybe make a couple small thing then dump it. If I get garage new now I’ll have harder time running and tooling machine.....

Comment

Originally posted by Wood Grower View Post

I am not 100% sure it’s future. I do know I hate it as is and I do know lifting roof is not an option. I want a new building mine is too small. I can barely move. It is like car and a half with about 7-8 foot height. The wall appears to have wood laying on top of wall and probably attached to the wall top of concrete blocks. Then everything looks built on top of that wood. We are talking 40-50% of the length to raise and it isn’t very long. Maybe 25 feet. Never put a car in so not sure.... I wouldn’t even try putting a car in. It’s stupid the way it is build too close to the house about a car width and open both doors on each side kind of distance from the house. I want high ceiling building with lots of floor space. If I can get headroom in existing I can finish startup of my machines tool them and maybe make a couple small thing then dump it. If I get garage new now I’ll have harder time running and tooling machine.....
              Ya I totally get where you are coming from.

I think your only options are to try to raise the whole roof.
              Or replace the whole roof with new trusses.

Or leave it and replace the entire building - which is what I would do.
              Too small is always going to be too small.

Fyi I have done similar things - I have vaulted ceilings and modified roof structures so supporting beams were not needed.
              I have modified a roof structure so a car hoist could be installed in the building.
              I have lifted garages and poured new floors under them.
              I have re-leveled cottages and trailers.
              I have lifted cottages and added basements.

In my professional opinion (12 year carpenter) - I would not try to modify that roof.
              Its a mess.
              It looks like it was under built and someone added a bunch of blocking to try to compensate.

Nathan

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by nnieman View Post

Ya I totally get where you are coming from.

I think your only options are to try to raise the whole roof.
                Or replace the whole roof with new trusses.

Or leave it and replace the entire building - which is what I would do.
                Too small is always going to be too small.

Fyi I have done similar things - I have vaulted ceilings and modified roof structures so supporting beams were not needed.
                I have modified a roof structure so a car hoist could be installed in the building.
                I have lifted garages and poured new floors under them.
                I have re-leveled cottages and trailers.
                I have lifted cottages and added basements.

In my professional opinion (12 year carpenter) - I would not try to modify that roof.
                Its a mess.
                It looks like it was under built and someone added a bunch of blocking to try to compensate.

Nathan
                Exterior change not possible. It is on or maybe over property line. It is legal non conforming. A new spot required to build.

i just look inside book last night and I might have a plan. It was stated earlier jack post install but I see it is possible to install overhead jack post. Just might be an idea to double or triple support at end of overhead door and rear wall and carve out middle with new system one at a time. Could give a few feet extra anyways.

ya the roof is junk. The whole building is junk. Why I don’t have too big of dreams for it beyond knocking down.

I will see tonight what is up if it more time in there or dump it and go new...... just have to wait until after work for now......
                nnieman likes this.

Comment

Working...
                X