Cedar Shakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cedar Shakes

A friend has a 20 year old shake roof. For any reason to go on the roof in the past he always used a hook ladder to spread out his weight so as to not crack the shakes. Now work on or around one of his skylights requires attention but he is not well enough to perform such a task any longer. He called around and had a roofer come out for a look and he requested the use of a ladder on the shakes for the reason stated above. He was told they can not use a ladder because of new regulations. Do anyone know if this is true please and thanks? Nothing done today as he also could not go up due to the roof being wet, that i can understand, Thanks...
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Cedar Shakes

Placing a ladder atop the roof to walk on sounds dangerous to me. You could have the ladder slip causing the worker to slip, and that could cause the worker to fall off the roof.

Comment

Originally posted by Wood Grower View Post
      Placing a ladder atop the roof to walk on sounds dangerous to me. You could have the ladder slip causing the worker to slip, and that could cause the worker to fall off the roof.
      The ladders in question would be hook ladders. Much safer to me then a damp moss slimy shake would even be. BUT i don't make the reg's....

Comment

Originally posted by RV Sam View Post

The ladders in question would be hook ladders. Much safer to me then a damp moss slimy shake would even be. BUT i don't make the reg's....
        I had never heard of "hook ladders", so I looked them up and they look to be quite a bit safer than anything else a person could use for working on a slope. In fact I could use one myself just about now ... I wonder if the contractor didn't hear the word "hook" or just didn't have one and didn't want to admit it or .... ???
        mike66 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by John Bartley View Post

I had never heard of "hook ladders", so I looked them up and they look to be quite a bit safer than anything else a person could use for working on a slope. In fact I could use one myself just about now ... I wonder if the contractor didn't hear the word "hook" or just didn't have one and didn't want to admit it or .... ???
          Now you figured out why i did that post, lol...... They have been around for a 100 years. Wheels on one side to get it up, flip when the hooks are past the peak. I am thinking the same as you John, he don't have one and the more shakes he cracks the more work for him.
          beachburl and John Bartley like this.

Comment

Working...
          X