hardwood floor finishes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hardwood floor finishes

I am redoing some maple hardwood floors for my daughter. She is against the yellowing effect of oil base polyurethane, i know water based does not yellow but i have read that it scratches easily. Does the UV protected poly really prevent yellowing.and if it is available in a matte finish. If so can anyone recommend a brand name and supplier
    Thanks
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: hardwood floor finishes

I did our hardwood floor in water base 30 years ago and it still looks good and scratches no more than any oil base I've used. I believe I use Flecto Varathene Diamond shine.

Comment

Bona Traffic HD
      Tim

Comment

I'd consider General Finish products or others from from

Wood Essence.
        http://www.woodmonkey.ca

Comment

You need to be careful as to what yellowing is. True the oil base finish will yellow. But, a maple floor with a water base finish that will not yellow will still change color. The finish will not change but the wood will in time. If your daughter likes the "white" look of the maple look into a staining first.

Comment

Allan, floor finishes are formulated differently than furniture finishes, they are much tougher and designed to withstand much harder wear and tear. Any finish will scratch if sharp objects are dragged across it, be it waterbased, oil based or solvent based.
            I would recommend sticking with either products by Bona or Finitec. Both companies have very good reputations for the floor finishes they produce.

If you want to add some colour so that the aging effect of the maple is minimised, you could stain the floor or you could add a waterbased dye to the sealer to get the desired colour, unless you actually want white, as there is no white dye to the best of my knowledge.
            My neighbour has a hardwood floor business and he uses the Finitec line exclusively as he says it's one of the best floor finishes available (and he's super picky lol).

Hope that helps
            Paul

John Bartley likes this.

Comment

I'm with Bill R on the water based. I put it on my pine floors 20 years ago and it is tougher then any oil based stuff i ever used. My kitchen, living room, dining room and mud room are all water based and i don't always take off my shoes and it still looks great. Three coats within a couple hours of each other using a long handled applicator and clean up with water and you are done.
              Attached Files
              Bill R. likes this.
              Wayne

Comment

If it’s white oak and the white colour is desired do like some navies and use a Holly Stone!
                Egon
                from
                The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Originally posted by Egon View Post
                  If it’s white oak and the white colour is desired do like some navies and use a Holly Stone!
                  Holystoning an interior house floor? Egon, you've outdone yourself in the silly crackpot ideas department. BTW, it was banned by the US navy because it wore the floors out too quickly.

Comment

Crackpot ideas??

An alternative is what I considered it.

Perhaps your comment could be considered Crackpot in disallowing alternative thoughts.

By the way have you heard of sandpaper? It basically the same thing.
                    Last edited by Egon; 10-29-2020, 07:15 PM.
                    Egon
                    from
                    The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

has anyone had any experience with Polywhey floor finish

Comment

Working...
                      X