Sound proof interior door?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound proof interior door?

My son is a YouTuber and is up all hours of the night gaming and recording. He gets pretty loud sometimes and wakes me up. The door to the study is a standard hollow core door frame with a large full length glass. I’d like to install something that blocks the sound a bit.
    is there such a thing?
    Cheers
    Randy
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Sound proof interior door?

As far as the door itself, density will be the answer. The heavier and thicker, the better.
    Walls and heating vents may be another leak point for sound. Probably too late to install sound batt insulation and 5/8" drywall I would imagine.

Comment

A solid core door with an exterior weather strip set will go a long way. & is probably the easiest to do. The room for my dust collector & air compressor is in the basement & I didn't want to be disturbing people with that racket, so i use some extensive sound attenuation method in the construction. I put 2 doors back to back to contain the sound. They are just cheap pre-hung steel exterior doors. The doors themselves don't block sound very well, but they have weather stripping and thresholds that seal. I put a layer of 3/4" MDF on each door with screws & Greenglue between. That did the trick. I can't hear the DC unless I get my ear within a few cm of the door. The double door thing wouldn't be an easy thing to do on an existing room though.
      Jacques Gagnon and Greg_Hansen61 like this.

Comment

I know a couple who built a new house and put a double skin of dry wall on a bedroom wall next to a toilet and said that made a difference but that was only the sound of the toilet flushing, a double skin of dry wall on a wall is easy but getting the skirting, scotia and a door frame right is a bigger issue, in NZ we have some doors with polystyrene core instead of the paper egg crate stuff, so making a flush door with a polystyrene core would be within your capabilities I think.

Comment

Think of sound as a fluid. If there are gaps around a door that a fluid could pass through, sound will pass through them too.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy in Calgary View Post
            My son is a YouTuber and is up all hours of the night gaming and recording. He gets pretty loud sometimes and wakes me up. The door to the study is a standard hollow core door frame with a large full length glass. I’d like to install something that blocks the sound a bit.
            is there such a thing?
            There are numerous ways to do this Randy and it all starts with what are you willing to give up. Do you want to lose the look of the glass door?? Why not try hanging a heavy blanket on the inside of the door and see if there is a difference. Another glass panel can be added to the door also. I doubt if the door is HC as it is carrying a full-size glass unit. Felt sweeps can be used on the bottom of the door to control sound also. A 1/4" cork skin can be applied to the inside of the door to abate the sound. This might look good also. Let me know if you need anything.

Comment

well if i was the land lord:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
              John Bartley likes this.
              everyone knows real machines are 3 phase. Founding member of the Wadkin blockhead club

jack
              English machines

http://www.youtube.com/user/tool613

Comment

For a cheap solution you might try applying self-stick corkboard or acoustic tile to the glass. A more expensive option would be to replace the glass with a sealed double pane. For a door on my dust closet (containing a very loud 5hp cyclone) I found a surplus exterior sliding door that was hurricane rated. It's amazing how well the double panes keep the sound in.

Comment

Originally posted by jgarrett forsberg View Post
                  well if i was the land lord:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
                  Yes under normal circumstances I would agree. But for a mildly autistic young man with no friends except online, it would be cruel to shut him down. Also his buddies live in wildly different time zones. Australia, Guam, UK etc. And the hooting and hollering is all part of the “drama” in the videos he produces to earn his YouTube income.
                  Yeah it’s complicated.
                  Cheers
                  Randy

Comment

You're a good man, Randy.
                    Best of luck with the journey.
                    Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
                    'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
                    "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Originally posted by beachburl View Post
                      You're a good man, Randy.
                      Best of luck with the journey.
                      Thanks Noel. It has been a complex journey up until now with many unanticipated turns along the way. One of which is the success of his YouTube channel. Around 700,000 subscribers!
                      We do everything we can to help him thrive in spite of his social challenges, as any devoted parent would. Like soundproofing a door!😀
                      jaywood1207, John Bartley and 3 others like this.
                      Cheers
                      Randy

Comment

The solid doors I made for our house are excellent at sound proofing (a bonus I didn't expect). So if you can change that door with some weather strips added all around should help a lot. Beyond that a very *thick* blanket or a mattress will do a good job at reducing the sound as well.
                        A much easier solution might be to put some ear plugs. I'm very sensitive to noise and have a couple of those on my bed side table, for when snoring of my better half wakes me up
                        Remember, we are here to share, learn, and enjoy. Relax.

Comment

If you don't mind me asking (PM if you rather) what is his channel?
                          my 3 boys spend time watching people play games on youtube, it would "cool" of dad to give them someone to follow.
                          [insert something witty here]

Comment

+1 for the exterior door.
                            i used soundproof drywall in my living room plasticene electrical box boots. green glue and more drywall on some walls.
                            i insulated with ISOboard , i think rock woll is best for sound, for the money.
                            my vintage wood windows need refitting so they are my weak point. Also, I'll put storm windows to preserve their heritage. ,not thermopane.
                            I agree, closing any small air gaps is most important. weatherstrip is a thrifty idea. maybe foam tape too
                            “The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” -Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by beakie View Post
                              If you don't mind me asking (PM if you rather) what is his channel?
                              my 3 boys spend time watching people play games on youtube, it would "cool" of dad to give them someone to follow.
                              His channel appeals to a younger demographic so depending on your boys age they might not like it.
                              His best content is his 3D animation cartoons based on the “5 Nights at Freddie’s “ video game series. The animations are a lot of work ( think stop motion animation only on the computer) and he has stopped doing them in favour of the recorded game play stuff. The animations get millions of views and he could be making significant money from them but they require tedious attention to detail, creativity, sound work, voice overs, original music score that he creates himself, etc etc.
                              His ad revenue dropped by two thirds since COVID-19.
                              Anyways you can check him out on YouTube as Rye-Rye99. Here’s a link to one of his popular animations.
                              https://youtu.be/zsF3yZgoEUw

Last edited by Randy in Calgary; 11-23-2020, 10:34 AM.
                              Cheers
                              Randy

Comment

Working...
                              X