Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Led Pot lights... still count individual lamps to total max 12?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Led Pot lights... still count individual lamps to total max 12?

Hello has there been any change to code to allow more of the low consumption led ceiling pots? Seems architects are going pot light happy and replace 1 old ceiling fixture by 6 led pot lights. It ads up to 12 very fast!

thanks
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Led Pot lights... still count individual lamps to total max 12?

I'm not sure if there are any specific energy use requirements in your area, but in BC they introduced an add on to the code called the "Step Code".

This sets certain energy use targets in comparison to what the minimum the building code would achieve. Because a LED pot light uses very little power, even a lot of them doesn't affect the total energy consumption of the house very much. Not in comparison to the heat/cooling system, windows. insulation etc.

So it seems the interior designers have free reign to use as many pot light as the current trends desire.

A bigger issue for the amount of lights was the number of penetrations through the ceiling vapour barrier, but even that seems to resolved with new, almost air tight, fixtures.

Cheers--Ron

Comment

Sorry, should have tried to answer the question.

There isn't a restriction on the number of pot lights (or any other lights) if the total energy use for the house complies with the code.

As mentioned, BC has additional energy use requirements not included in the body of the code. Might be something similar for Quebec?

Comment

Originally posted by Inspector Ron View Post
        Sorry, should have tried to answer the question.

There isn't a restriction on the number of pot lights (or any other lights) if the total energy use for the house complies with the code.

As mentioned, BC has additional energy use requirements not included in the body of the code. Might be something similar for Quebec?
        I think the point was the CEC restrictions on the number of fixtures on a single circuit?

Comment

While the number of fixtures/receptacles on a single circuit makes a degree of sense, it is somewhat outdated by modern electrical living where there are numerous very low and low current devices like phone chargers, LED lights, in use.
          billh

Comment

LED pots do not have the number of fixtures per circuit restricted by code beyond the requirement that the total load does not exceed the circuit capacity.

Comment

Originally posted by drzaius View Post
              LED pots do not have the number of fixtures per circuit restricted by code beyond the requirement that the total load does not exceed the circuit capacity.
              thank you!

Comment

Just out of interest are these special LED fixtures rather than LED bulbs in regular pot lights?

Comment

Originally posted by iamtooler View Post
                  Just out of interest are these special LED fixtures rather than LED bulbs in regular pot lights?
                  This is only for recessed LED fixtures that have a fixed, built in LED source. Screw socket pots still must be limited to 12/cct because higher wattage lamps could be installed in them.
                  Bob just past Ayr and iamtooler like this.

Comment

would be something like this https://en.lumenco.ca/bazz-333law.html a "led" fixture with replaceable GU10 LED bulb. Not sure what category this would be in. Can the bulb be replaced by a halogen? I think that the GU10 pin base is standard and can fit GU10 halogens also...

Comment

Originally posted by EFZauner View Post
                      would be something like this https://en.lumenco.ca/bazz-333law.html a "led" fixture with replaceable GU10 LED bulb. Not sure what category this would be in. Can the bulb be replaced by a halogen? I think that the GU10 pin base is standard and can fit GU10 halogens also...
                      If the lamp can be replaced by anything other than the OEM lamp, then you're limited to 12/cct. If it takes a GU10, then it could be replaced with a halogen lamp.

Comment

I'm working building a builder's sales office right now. The electrician told me that there's about 100 pot lights, all 10 watt led. 1000 watts all in. Less than a toaster. It's amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by bender View Post
                          I'm working building a builder's sales office right now. The electrician told me that there's about 100 pot lights, all 10 watt led. 1000 watts all in. Less than a toaster. It's amazing.
                          That it is. And a 10W pot puts out a lot of light. In real world installations, LED lighting takes about 1/10th the power of incandescent and about half that of fluorescent.

Comment

Astounding advancement.
                            Now one has to determine when to rip out and replace for over all savings.
                            Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
                            'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
                            "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Originally posted by beachburl View Post
                              Astounding advancement.
                              Now one has to determine when to rip out and replace for over all savings.
                              For most of us in Canada we heat our homes much of the year that is short on daylight anyway so the saving is not as important as it may appear. My electricity cost is 4.3 cents/kwh so it is less of a factor for me than some other provinces.

Comment

Working...
                              X