double rabbet porch posts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• double rabbet porch posts?

I have to rebuild our front porch this year. Part of that will be removing the 1inch steel tube ugly things and replacing them with wooden posts. I was planning on making my own double rabbet posts. I need to figure out the weight they would support to have in my back pocket when I apply for my permit.
    Can anyone point me to a table I have searched the net but no luck but maybe using the wrong search term.
    Jerome
    Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
    CARPENTER noun. (car-pun-ter)
    1) A person who solves problems you can't.
    2) One who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data, provided by those of questionable knowledge. see also: wizard, magician.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: double rabbet porch posts?

I have found when applying for a permit show what you are planning on using and they will tell you if it is not sufficient. Or simply ask what is required. Just don't ask them to draw up the plans. but they will help wit sizing.
    Bob just past Ayr

Comment

Not an answer .... but .... have you though of using a screw post (as used in a basement) and wrapping it with a facade that "looks" like a wooden post? That way you could simply go in for the permit with your screw post spec's ... nobody is likely to question them since they are what supports most homes these days? That would also give you and adjustment option in case your home or porch move at all.

Comment

You could determine the load on a single post from the span tables in the building code, but it isn't really needed as you have to provide a minimum post size regardless.
        If you want to go smaller than the minimum size in the code then the calculations might be required. (depending on the size of the porch)
        I don't see any reason why you can't build up your own post as long as it meets the size requirement.

This is taken from the BC building code but I believe it is the same as what is used in Ontario. (the exception stated refers to garages and carports)
        9.17.4. Wood Columns
        9.17.4.1. Column Sizes
        1) The width or diameter of a wood column shall be not less than the width of the supported member.
        2) Except as provided in Article 9.35.4.2., columns shall be not less than 184 mm for round columns and 140 mm by 140 mm for rectangular columns, unless calculations are provided to show that lesser sizes are adequate.

Hope this helps--Ron

Comment

Thanks, Ron
          Jerome
          Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
          CARPENTER noun. (car-pun-ter)
          1) A person who solves problems you can't.
          2) One who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data, provided by those of questionable knowledge. see also: wizard, magician.

Comment

http://www.magnetomechanical.com/res...alculator.html

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

If the existing 1" steel posts are in good shape, have you considered enclosing them in wood rather than replacing them?

Comment

Working...
              X