Bathtub to Shower Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bathtub to Shower Conversion

I have a condo that I want to convert the 2nd bathtub into a shower. My options (I think) are to build from scratch or use a kit. Bath-refitters might be another option. If this was a detached home, I would be leaning toward building from scratch, but I need to think about the strata rules, getting permits etc and liability issues in case something leaks down the road. However, to contract this all out will be expensive, and I'm averse to spending money needlessly. Does anyone have some suggestions that I should be looking at. A kit sounds appealing, but I've read some comments about drain pans leaking after time. Also, is this a job of a plumber or building contractor? Thanks for reading.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Bathtub to Shower Conversion

There is always a chance of a leak no matter what product is used. I would have no problem with a kit, we are redoing our main bath this year and it will be new tub with wall panels of some kind. Currently have walls done with a product called TEGO and it has stood up well for 20 years . To save money do all the demo and have everything ready and have the company install,use their warranty and its done in a day. You do the finishing touches. As in everything its the quality of installation that matters, you could buy all the pieces and install for the first and only time or have someone who does it on a daily basis. Do your research on the products and buy the best quality you can afford, installation cost is generally the same regardless of price of product.

Bill

Comment

Have you considered one piece units .
      John Bartley and beachburl like this.

Comment

Schluter systems are 100 % water tight. Have to use non modified thin set but it works really well. Just did a walk in curbless for my in laws last year turned out beautiful and water tight. Kirdi Board makes it fast and easy to do. Check at your local Tile Master
        https://www.facebook.com/gregsreinventions2016/

Comment

Originally posted by WarrenC View Post
          I have a condo that I want to convert the 2nd bathtub into a shower. My options (I think) are to build from scratch or use a kit. Bath-refitters might be another option. If this was a detached home, I would be leaning toward building from scratch, but I need to think about the strata rules, getting permits etc and liability issues in case something leaks down the road. However, to contract this all out will be expensive, and I'm averse to spending money needlessly. Does anyone have some suggestions that I should be looking at. A kit sounds appealing, but I've read some comments about drain pans leaking after time. Also, is this a job of a plumber or building contractor? Thanks for reading.
          I've put more than a few in for friends and family. I use the Maax shower kits. You can't put a 1 pc in a house that's already built but you can use the 4 pc kits that go together like a 1 pc. These showers and bath kits are very well built for the price and stand up well.

Comment

Originally posted by Wally in Calgary View Post

I've put more than a few in for friends and family. I use the Maax shower kits. You can't put a 1 pc in a house that's already built but you can use the 4 pc kits that go together like a 1 pc. These showers and bath kits are very well built for the price and stand up well.
            Thats true they are nice kits but if you need a true curbless showier with not raised lip at all. Schluter is the only way to go. If you don't need that then yes go for a MAAX kit.

Comment

....and good quality products can often require less time and effort (hence less installation costs) than low quality products.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg from K/W View Post

Thats true they are nice kits but if you need a true curbless showier with not raised lip at all. Schluter is the only way to go. If you don't need that then yes go for a MAAX kit.
                The OP asked for a replacement for a bathtub ( no mention of curb less) that could be done by a DYI or easily done by a contractor. The Maax kits are made for this and I have replaced at least 4 that had a bathtub for some seniors. They were all quite happy with the results. Some have been at least 5-6 yrs. ago. These kits are easily DIY if you have a few skills. There is almost no way for them to leak if you follow the instructions.

Comment

Schluter makes a kit with a drain pan designed to replace a 60” alcove tub with no need to move the drain location. I think it’s well within the reach of an average DIYer, especially if they’ve done a bit of tiling before, and stick to user-friendly tiles like subway tiles and small format porcelain tiles for the floor. The MAAX kits are fine and are more budget- and user-friendly. We use their corner units a lot in basement bathrooms, where clients are looking to save a bit of money in a bathroom that they don’t plan to show off.
                  Tim

Comment

I was agreeing with you guys. Take it easy. I was just giving another option. Take a breath. Schluter is do it your self too. I was just giving another option.

Comment

Looking for a cheap way to do it, we first removed the tub. Taking it out in one piece would have involved major damage to the tile enclosure, and we weren't trying to save the tub, so we cut it in half to take it out. We slipped in a shower base and extended the ceramic tile from tub-edge height down to the top of the new shower base. We could also have made a shower base out of ceramic tile, but the moulded base was faster and didn't have any joints to leak. Since the old tub was a combination tub/shower, we had a shower head already in place, and the drain didn't have to be moved.

Comment

Originally posted by WarrenC View Post
                        Ive done 5 installs fro myself and friends/family with the schluter kits. The presloped pan with the kerdi membrane over it has been leak free in all installs, oldest being about 10 years now. Follow the schluter instructions to the letter and I dont think you will have any issues. Framing and subflooring needs to be rigid and in good shape before you start with any shower or waterproofing kit/system.

Comment

I have never heard of a Schluter drain pan leaking ever. Mud pack yes. Schluter no way. Impossible.

Comment

Thanks for all the information. Schluter seems the way to go. I just have to deal with our strata which is going to be a pain. As far as I know, they will not let a homeowner do any of the plumbing work unless they are journeymen. Now, I have my carpentry papers, but nothing for plumbing so I will have do some coordination and see what I can and cannot do.

Comment

Working...
                            X