This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• glass panels instead of spindles

Hello, We are considering replacing our dated oak spindled stairs with a steel and glass design. Does anyone have any input re: average cost? $1000? $5000? Thank you.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: glass panels instead of spindles

How can we say? No dimensions no pics no info telling us anything about the project. Glass and steel are subjective. Price where you live it may be higher than were we are. Call 4 contractors and ask them! At least we know your in guelph.
    https://www.facebook.com/gregsreinventions2016/

Comment

I just got a quote for a large shower stall. It has 8 ft of glass , 78 inches tall. The installed price is $2800. I realize there is a big diff between a shower and stair railing but suspect both would use the same glass and your panels on a typical stair case would contain less glass. My quote included a glass door.
      Brian
      If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

First you have to call the city and you may need a permit. If that is so they may require it to be engineered. City of Waterloo wanted a glass railing system for a deck engineered. That could cost $1000 alone. So make some phone calls.

Comment

its going to need to be tempered glass and that can't be cut , I think it needs to have any drilling and cutting and ground edges , any holes made , then it can be tempered in an oven. thus high cost. then if it breaks it turns into little pebbles instead of shards like regular glass, same as auto side windows. talk to a glass shop, they will tell you more.

Comment

If I were closer, I'd come and build it for you. Thats what I do.

So the cheapest way to have the look of glass is to dado it in to the bottom plate and underside of the rail. This could use 6mm glass which is much cheaper than 10 or 12mm and no expensive SS hardware is needed. I prefer the warm feel of wood rather than cold SS railings. You can build the railings and posts and just get the glass guys to come measure and then install the glass.

Walt

Comment

Oh sorry, I just re-read your post. Forget what I said if you want SS rail and posts.

Comment

I missed the steel part too. This link answers all those questions
                https://www.stainlessstairparts.com/...railing-system

Comment

Still he should talk to contractors in his area about costs. What if the existing railing was taken out and repairs had to be made? He needs a quote for that then the install. We cant give him those numbers. Its impossible to do with out seeing the job on site.

Comment

Originally posted by 1irishson View Post
                    Hello, We are considering replacing our dated oak spindled stairs with a steel and glass design. Does anyone have any input re: average cost? $1000? $5000? Thank you.
                    You could take contact with Preston Hardware in Ottawa, they do have stainless steel and glass panels on their stairway going up to the second floor of the store part with the larger pieces of bathtubs and shower stalls etc.

I don't know if they do sell the parts for it, though they sell pretty well any hardware there is, and as they do have it in their store display area, they could very well have it, or at least give you some info about it.

https://prestondesigncentre.ca/produ...free-standing/

Have fun and take care
                    Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

The bottom line with glass guards is that they need to be engineered. For example, if someone is buying the components, how do they know the correct thickness of the glass, type of glass (there are a few options), the spacing of the posts (span of the glass), number of support brackets etc? Then there is the matter of measuring (templating), ordering and handling of the glass and components. Also the suitability of the floor/wall that the posts are to be attached to.

I would strongly recommend you use a glazing contractor to undertake the project. They would be responsible for any drawings or engineers approval that is required. Also, for any breakage during installation.

However you decide to proceed, get any requirements sorted out with the municipality before you buy or pay for anything.

Comment

I called a London glass company that I deal with for glass shelves for my kitchens and discovered they do a lot of glass railings. I inquired about an engineers report for these railings. They have an engineer that they use when the client requests an engineered drawing. If they are doing the install the report costs approx $300. They suggested that somewhere in the vicinity 5 to 10 % of their installs have engineered reports. The building code requires a minimum of 6 mil tempered glass and a lot will go with 10 mil. She said in some applications they have gone with 1/2 inch tempered glass. They also supply glass to homeowners and contractors that do their own.
                        Brian

Comment

Sorry, beg to differ. The building code does not specify a thickness for a glass guard. It can't because the dimensions of the panel are not known.
                          If an engineer designed very small panels maybe 5mm would be acceptable. Very large panels, maybe it is 10mm on 10mm tempered laminated.

I can't tell how many times a homeowner has be stuck between a municipality that requires an engineers approval and a supplier/manufacturer/contractor that has been paid and doesn't provide the engineering required.

Look at it this way. When you go to the lumber yard and get 2X8s, that doesn't mean they can be used anywhere and everything. It depends on the span, spacing, and loading, for which there are engineered span tables. There aren't any tables such as this for glass guards. There are however loads given for the engineer to use to design the guard.

I hope I don't sound preachy here, but I just hate to see a homeowner get themselves into a messy (expensive) situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post

You could take contact with Preston Hardware in Ottawa, they do have stainless steel and glass panels on their stairway going up to the second floor of the store part with the larger pieces of bathtubs and shower stalls etc.

I don't know if they do sell the parts for it, though they sell pretty well any hardware there is, and as they do have it in their store display area, they could very well have it, or at least give you some info about it.

https://prestondesigncentre.ca/produ...free-standing/
                            He is in Guelph why would he call a company in Ottawa?

Comment

Check what Brian said.
                              Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
                              'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
                              "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Working...
                              X