Cabinet add on - material?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabinet add on - material?

My wife wants a set of shelves added on to the side of the island, but still underneath the countertop overhang. The cabinets on the island are painted and I can get a matching paint without problem but I am unsure about what to use for the shelves?

MDF? Plywood, if so, what type? Looking for a smooth finish to match the existing cabinet.

What would the hive mind here use?
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Cabinet add on - material?

Originally posted by jim.gilchrist View Post
    My wife wants a set of shelves added on to the side of the island, but still underneath the countertop overhang. The cabinets on the island are painted and I can get a matching paint without problem but I am unsure about what to use for the shelves?

MDF? Plywood, if so, what type? Looking for a smooth finish to match the existing cabinet.

What would the hive mind here use?
    Maple or Birch plywood 3/4". It's clear and sanded and paints easily. You can edge it with hardwood strips or tape. Check with Windsor Ply or Eroko if you have one near. HD doesn't seem to carry good quality products or they might be an option also.
    ThePracticalPeasant likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Wally in Calgary View Post

Maple or Birch plywood 3/4". It's clear and sanded and paints easily. You can edge it with hardwood strips or tape. Check with Windsor Ply or Eroko if you have one near. HD doesn't seem to carry good quality products or they might be an option also.
      Thanks, thought about that. Was also wondering about MDF 3/4 - oil primer and then scuff sanding before colour coats??

Comment

Originally posted by jim.gilchrist View Post

Thanks, thought about that. Was also wondering about MDF 3/4 - oil primer and then scuff sanding before colour coats??
        Yes, you could use MDF but it's a lot heavier to work with and doesn't hold fasteners as well. If you can screw and glue without seeing them then it's an option. I use a good Quick dry Plastic primer for MDF and it seals the edges with 2 coats. It's all in what you prefer.
        ThePracticalPeasant likes this.

Comment

Id just check on craigslist look in free for a tabletop or a shelf or a wall unit or whatever. You dont need to spend money buying particleboard. one day if you go to the dump just look up and youll see tons being thrown away every day of the week. why make more garbage?

If you are up for an hour's drive here is a free saw to cut it on too ;-)

https://kelowna.craigslist.org/zip/d...391455930.html

Comment

If you need short lengths your local Restore may have Melamine shelving boards that are often finished on three of the edges for a very reasonable price.
            http://sawdustmaking.com

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

My vote from the hive mind echos everything Wally in Calgary has said, for the same reasons.

Comment

Not wanting to be contrary minded as I respect what Wally's said about the challenges of working with MDF, but I see no reason why that material wouldn't work out just fine in this case. In lieu of screws, why not use dado and biscuit joints and glue? You'd be astonished at the amount of cabinetry being accomplished using MDF. It accepts paint very well, too.

Let us know how this comes out.
                jim.gilchrist likes this.
                All the best,

Marty

- Instagram: @apexwoodworks
                - facebook page
                - YouTube Channel

Secretary of Kingston Wood Artisans Inc.

My goal is not to be better than anyone else. My goal is to be better than I used to be.

Comment

Working...
                X