Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice Please: New Hardwood Flooring Over Old or Remove?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice Please: New Hardwood Flooring Over Old or Remove?

Hello all

Considering replacing the orginal hardwood on the main floor of my 1960s solid brick home.

The existing hardwood is the orginal 1 3/4" wide (seems to be 1/2" thick) some of which has been covered with carpet and some of which was bare.

The exisitng floor is pretty well intact and flat - although it has been repaired in a few places and is really showing its age. I dont want to sand / refinsh since that tends to produce edge splitting

I want to replace all of it with new 3/4" solid factory finished hardwood either 2 1/4" or 3 1/4" wide.

QUESTION: Should I remove the exisitng hardwood or install the new on top of the old (knowing that I'll have to trim all the doors of course)?
    My gut feeling is that the exiting hardwood might well be a better surface that than the subfloor....
    BUT maybe there's a reason not to do this.

Thanks in advance

• Thread Continues Below...

Re: Advice Please: New Hardwood Flooring Over Old or Remove?

Trimming that much from doors will show, and you'd have to reglue a new edge on the bottom if they're hollow core. Somehow I'd refrain from putting new hardwood on top of old hardwood. That could make for a very creaky floor.
    Happiness is a new blade!

Comment

It's going to make a step where it meets the other non hardwood flooring.
      I would remove the old. It will also give a chance the fasten down any loose creaky spots in the sub flooring.
      Bryan @ Woodstock likes this.

Comment

I left my original fir hardwood in my house and laid new hardwood over top as I knew it would provide a better surface than the shiplap underneath.
        I was installing new flooring throughout the house and used concrete board to lift areas to be tiled so the two floors would be flush.

Can you get a look at the subfloor from the underside?
        The proper underlayment should prevent creaks.

Comment

I would remove the original, never like the idea of multiple flooring layers. If not removed, is the appearance of the new flooring going to be pleasing running 90* to the present flooring? Generally flooring runs in the direction of the longest dimension, Roy
          Are you solving the problem, or becoming part of it?

Comment

Many thnaks to all repsosnes so far: Some addtional info:

All the existing flooring on the main floor will be renewed so differences in level shouldn't be a concern EXCEPT perhaps where there is tile in bathroom; however I'm going to have to deal with a level change .transition there anyway becuase I planned to use 3/4" hardwood vs the 1/2" that's there now. But maybe this kind of a transition will be more of a problem than I thought ???

Trimming the doors does not really bother me too much esp since many of the doors might be replaced (for aesthetic reasons) anyway...

The creaking though is a real concern.

Comments?

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

The best way to install new is to remove the old and use screws to secure the subfloor.
              Otherwise you could end up with a really creaky floor.

There are no structural issues with going over top (other than cutting the doors shorter which isn’t a big deal).

When I install hardwood I use construction adhesive in the off the area that are prone to squeaking - hallways, doorways etc

Nathan

Comment

At my home I had the 1940's 3/8 x 1 1/4 strip floor. I left it down, screwed 3/8 spruce roof ply to it, and glued and nailed new engineered hardwood to that.

It feels super solid underfoot.

Comment

Working...
                X