Anybody used IPE decking?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody used IPE decking?

I know it's some kind of Brazilian hardwood but it looks comparable to 2x6 cedar which is about $5 per lin ft in select and I don't know the cost in a decking grade.

I will be building about 700 square ft of decks plus stairs and railings. Was thinking also of Trex. Don't want PT decking. Any thoughts or suggestions?

This is what it looks like. Pronounced EPAY. PS might be an excellant furniture wood also

700 SqFt = 1530Lin
    5/4 x 6" x RL Ipe Groove --------$3.88/Lin
    5/4 x 6" x RL Ipe No Groove ----$3.66/Lin

Ipe Clip for Grooved Ipe ---------$80/Box (cover 100SqFt if you do 16"
    Center)
    Price based on 1500 Lin
    My name is Bill and I am a woodaholic
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Anybody used IPE decking?

Bill, It is great stuff if you are use to working with hardwoods. Good sharp carbide blades are required and predrilling for screws. IPE is heavier so you need to beef up the supporting structure. Because the desking lasts so log you will also need to improve the potential life span of structure, use a rubber membrane material on the top edge of the supporting beams under the ipe to prevent rot down the road.
    I have picked up most of my Ipe material from Oliver Lumber in Toronto.
    Good Luck, Mark
    sigpicToday's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.

Comment

Mark says it all... note particularly his comments about the beam caps,using

either the rolls of formed poly with drip lip on either side, or aluminum beam caps because it will outlive the structure and as he points out, the stuff is heavier than heck; check the span loading.

Comment

Thanks Steve and Mark. Anyone know the comparative cost of Trex like stuff and good cedar?
        My name is Bill and I am a woodaholic

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Guthrie, Toronto View Post
          Thanks Steve and Mark. Anyone know the comparative cost of Trex like stuff and good cedar?
          Bill, Another think to consider is how much "fancy stuff" and you are going to do. Any solid wood is going to be easier to work with and give you more options. The problem with cedar is the amount of sap wood you get these days. Are you going to finish/stain your deck? Trex has the advantage in cleaning, no maintence and like Ipe outlast the understructure. The Trex like stuff does expand and contract and some brands get a little flexable spungy under hot sun and need more under support.
          The price is all about the same between the different materials, if you shop around you can get a beter price on any of the three decking materials so decide based on what works for you.
          Cheers, Mark
          sigpicToday's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.

Comment

I am just doing pricing since I am planning to build a deck this summer. from local HH, comparison pricing I got for simple 16'x12' deck were as follows ( from memory .. so don't take figures too literally )

PT - 1300/-
            Cedar - 1900/-
            Trex/Eon - 3500-/ - 4000/-

Haven't researched Ipe yet.

--Rajiv
            --Ragnvald aka Rajiv

Comment

I am just doing pricing since I am planning to build a deck this summer. from local HH, comparison pricing I got for simple 16'x12' deck were as follows ( from memory .. so don't take figures too literally )

PT - 1300/-
              Cedar - 1900/-
              Trex/Eon - 3500-/ - 4000/-

Haven't researched Ipe yet.

--Rajiv
              --Ragnvald aka Rajiv

Comment

Alternatives to IP - engineered stuff

I know yo stated you were not interested in the engineered stuff, or whatever it is properly called - e.g. plastic grocery bags recycled. The point is there is little similarity between products - some have been recalled, some have had moisture problems (lack of clearance from ground). I used Weatherbest (WB) because it looked to me like the closest to real wood's appearance.

See http://www.weatherbest.com/.

As to price, I am at the other side of the continent (some would say at the other end of the world out here in California) and any price info I can provide is irrelevant. The stuff is priced high because there is no maintenance and several years later looks as it did the day it was installed.

I discovered that WB has two grain sides - straight grain on one side, grain with knots etc on other, fairly realistic. We have IPE installed out here also but the price is pretty hard to justify in my opinion unless you have a commercial application with public foot traffic as one installed example. Last, for rails and banisters, I built own out of redwood or cedar - cost of the manuf. fittings is excessive and their appearance v. routed wood varies all over the place and I felt were a poor match. Feel free to DM or email me if you wish.

Steve

Comment

Wear a mask when milling. I've been told the dust is extremely nasty long term.

Comment

I have turned some on a lathe and I can say it made me very sick. I had trouble breathing for weeks. Might have been something else but I believe it was the wood dust.

Comment

Characteristics of IPE are interesting....

"Ipe wood products contains no added harmful chemicals so it can be used near water without potential contamination, although its dust can cause a number of respiratory and contact dermatitis allergic reactions in humans."

For more information see: http://www.woodsthebest.com/ipe_decking/ipe-wood.htm
                      Last edited by Woodwreck; 04-04-2008, 03:24 AM.

Comment

I have decks at home in Ipe - highly recommended although as others have said it blunts tools fast and the dust is not great.

That said, it looks fab, only needs pressure washing once a year to clean, needs no treatment and has the same fire retardant rating as concrete. It is mighty heavy - it sinks in water.
                        Cheers

Tim

www.timbowdin.com

'If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem'

Comment

My wife and I decided to go with Trex a couple of years ago when we replaced the decks because we wanted something that would be maintenance-free. It turned out well but there are a couple of things to know.

The first is that any of the composite materials are more expensive than almost any type of wood.

The second thing is that the Trex really gets hot on a sunny day. I mean really hot. You have to wear shoes when you walk on it. We never had that problem on the hottest days with the old cedar deck.

Working with it on a hot day is ... interesting. It softens up and trying to haul a 12ft or 16ft board around is a three person job. If one person tries to pick up the board both ends are dragging on the ground ... even with it up on your shoulder . If two people get on the ends the middle drags on the ground.

I would seriously consider using Ipe if I had it to do again. I understand Ipe is hard enough that it can be a bear on blades.

...ken...

Comment

Ken's comments are highly enlightening

Weatherbest in comparison is heavy but perhaps only 2/3's - you should be able to find specs. It bends, but not to the degree of 3 people to carry for weight or sag in the good illustration Ken provided (do need 2).

And, no it doesn't pose any problem to bare feet in hot weather. And it probably costs almost twice as much as cedar or redwood - I forget the specific figures.

Comment

I've built quite a few Trex decks. Great colours and combinations and textures available including railings. We've done two tones combo a fair bit and wood grained borders pieces with smooth decking. It is stupidly heavy and dense, upgrade of joist spacing/sizing is required. We do charge a premium to install it on top of the actual cost difference but none of my clients who has put it in has ever regretted it.
                              Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X