Left over hardwood flooring

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left over hardwood flooring

I have a bunch of left overs of a bunch of different hardwood flooring chunks. What to do with them? Looking for ideas, plans, photos anything to inspire me to use some of this stuff up. I have heard planing the finish is hard on planar blades. Not a big deal the finish looks nice anyway. If you got something add it here or send it to me at eventualantiques@gmail.com
    Thanks Gord

Re: Left over hardwood flooring

that stuff works great for toys!!, that car in my avatar picture was recycled old "maple" flooring

and your right removing the finish is tough on any blade, i used an old tablesaw blade to "resaw" the material just enough to remove the finish
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

sigpic

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

Originally posted by Floyd Pinkerton View Post
      I have a bunch of left overs of a bunch of different hardwood flooring chunks. What to do with them? Looking for ideas, plans, photos anything to inspire me to use some of this stuff up. I have heard planing the finish is hard on planar blades. Not a big deal the finish looks nice anyway. If you got something add it here or send it to me at eventualantiques@gmail.com
      Thanks Gord

1. First, you need to keep some stashed away in case you ever damager part of your floor and need to repair it.
      2. I've used it to make a picture frame
      3. I've used it to make a custom frame for a Cold Air return - very nicely blends in and matches the floor
      4. I've used it to make candlesticks.
      5. Other than that, use your imagination! Steve had a great idea for toys. I wonder if it is big enough for pen blanks?
      It's not about you.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtMulder View Post
        I wonder if it is big enough for pen blanks?
        Maybe not for all pens, but for some sure! Most pen blanks commercialy sold are about 3/4" square but some pens need no more than 1/2" square.

Comment

The wood already had the dado for the door panels. Just a bit of trimming of edges and some glue and I had door. Bit more glue and I had drawer fronts.
          My next project with the leftover flooring (if I can find the magazine it was in) wooden floor grates instead of the ugly metal ones.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Marly059 View Post
            The wood already had the dado for the door panels. Just a bit of trimming of edges and some glue and I had door. Bit more glue and I had drawer fronts.
            My next project with the leftover flooring (if I can find the magazine it was in) wooden floor grates instead of the ugly metal ones.

You could use the smaller pieces in that black box in the far corner
            Dara
            SPCHT

Comment

Originally posted by Dara View Post
              You could use the smaller pieces in that black box in the far corner
              That wouldn't work so good. Its an oil drip stove. Leftover wood goes into the house for the woodstove.

Comment

lawn chairs, workmate coffee table, garden tractor and a workbench?

what kind of combination is that?
                steve, sarnia, ont

sigpic

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

Originally posted by stevem View Post

I think it might fit into the mantra that my life is a very complicated drinking game.

Happily and woefully out of date
                  ... and not buying the upgrade!

Comment

After you cut the grass you can sit down, have a cup of tea you then head over to the workbench.
                    Actually, that end of the garage isn't used for my workshop. Since the picture was taken, there is also a wood storage rack beside the tractor, a desk (sort of) where the workmate is and a bookshelf for reading material while you drink your tea. I'm lucky to have a big three car garage for a shop

Comment

Well I am no flooring expert, but from what I have seen in the various stores, that most pre finished hardwood flooring has no finish on the back. Only thing I have seen is a dado like cut on the back. Not even sure what that is for. Ru n the wood through the planer, unfinished side up and glue two pieces together. Then you could rip the finish off a lot easier as the wood would be bulkier and easier to handle then it would be just right for things like pen blanks or segments for bowls. Best thing to do is ship it down to me, I will deal with it, ha ha ha
                      Steve from Chester NS

Comment

One of the things I'm considering using my left over flooring for was to create a floor for around my work bench. Easier on my back rather than a concrete floor. Also gives a chisel a fighting chance if it rolls off the bench and hits the floor as well. They always land edge down dont they?

Very best,

Al
                        Happiness is removing a sliver

Comment

hardwood flooring in a workshop? now thats decadent!!
                          and some guys laughed at my laminate floor in my garage
                          steve, sarnia, ont

sigpic

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

hardwood flooring in a workshop? now thats decadent!!
                            and some guys laughed at my laminate floor in my garage

hey...I'm very close to putting hardwood in my shop...well, maybe t&g pine..but wood
                            Dara
                            SPCHT

Comment

Some good ideas guys thanks. The bench is nice never crossed my mind to use em as cupboard doors that actually match the floors. I am planning a toe pincher coffin shaped stash box for a freind out of a small portion of the dark oak, any one know my mitres off hand? Near full box of dark oak, golden oak, and a very nice dark walnut. So lots to go through.
                              Thanks gang

Comment

Working...
                              X