Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ryan Shervill 's Complete housefront makeover, ALL DONE! Final Pics on page 7.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryan Shervill 's Complete housefront makeover, ALL DONE! Final Pics on page 7.

Hi All. Welcome to my "Project House".

This is going to be my daily (sometimes semi-daily….sometimes weekly) blog of my “House front Facelift”. This build involves me taking a 1970’s Viceroy cottage and making it much more modern. When I bought this cottage it was an un-insulated shell….no driveway, no phone, two electrical circuits, bad plumbing and paneling from shag to popcorn.

Over the last few years I have done the most of the electrical/mechanical/inside cosmetic work, some of which you've likely seen in the magazines.....but short of replacing the three (yes three) sliding glass doors on the front with new a new door and window, adding a driveway and some plants, the outside of the house is pretty much as it was…..time to change that.

This blog will eventually cover just about every facet of what a homeowner can do to the exterior of your home….from the standard stuff like deck building and landscaping to roof framing, post and beam, stonework and exterior coverings…plus a bunch more.

Several components of the build are being put into articles for a few different magazines, so some pictures/processes may be missing….but hopefully you’ll get the gist by what I post here.

Comments and questions are welcome .

OK, lets get started……..
    Last edited by Ryan Shervill; 10-05-2010, 10:22 PM.
    I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Ryan Shervill 's Complete housefront makeover, ALL DONE! Final Pics on page 7.

Re: Ryan Shervill’s reno blog….My house front facelift

Day 1.

Here’s what I’m starting with…..nice eh?

So after ripping off/dismantling the front deck, I killed the 100000000 carpenter ants that had taken up residence in the rim joist, removed the rotten wood, and one at a time, replaced the floor joists that had rotted. The new 2X10’s had to be notched to match the dimension of the old ones.

And twisted into place

Finally, a new rim joist was added

And that is enough for one day. 9 floor joists, 12’ of pressure treated sill plate, 12’ of new rim joist……time flies when you are having fun.
    Last edited by Ryan Shervill; 08-06-2010, 10:11 PM.
    I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Comment

Re: Ryan Shervill 's Complete housefront makeover, ALL DONE! Final Pics on page 7.

Day 2.

Day 2 is all about digging….and digging…..and more digging. (too bad the temps were in the 30’s) I had to dig the footings for the new deck. The holes were 36” in diameter and 4’6” deep…..all dug by hand. (Hint: A really short shovel helps when you are chest deep in the hole)+

A test fit of the big foot

The 10” sonotube was added and plumbed

The building inspector was called to inspect the hole, check for water, check for proper footing size and depth, and then I had to shovel all of the dirt that I had just dug OUT of the hole back IN to the hole…..good times.

The late afternoon was spent mixing 20 bags of concrete and filling the two forms. Sorry no pics, but just picture a dirty/sweaty Ryan with a skid of bags, a hose, a rental mixer and a shovel.

That’s MORE than enough for one day…..next up: Framing.

Comment

NINE floor joists?!?! Just how much bounce was there in your floor, Ryan? How was it navigating those 9 boards around the plumbing and electrical? Did you luck out, or did you have to pull a lot of cable out of the way?

Big project, looks interesting
        It's not about you.

Comment

In fairness, only four were critical, the other five were borderline.....I figured since it was open, might as well do them all These 9 are in addition to the other 10 I did before (hence the different coloured wood under the window)...the entire front of the house was deck when I bought it, and...of course....it was tilted back towards the house. Lots of rot.

As far as the plumbing/electrical, there was one run of 14/2 that had to be moved, but the pipes were run along the bottom of the existing joists. All I had to do was pull them down slightly to slide the new joist overtop.

I left the old joists in as well, I just cut off the rot and sistered the new ones. 700 or so 3" nails from the paslode locked the new and old together pretty good

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Shervill View Post
            These 9 are in addition to the other 10 I did before (hence the different coloured wood under the window)...the entire front of the house was deck when I bought it, and...of course....it was tilted back towards the house. Lots of rot.
            You bought this place why?
            Oh, for the shop!!
            It's not about you.

Comment

I actually bought it for the view..... I built the shop a few years later

Last edited by Ryan Shervill; 07-27-2010, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Great blog Ryan! I really like these ongoing project stories. I'll be staying close for the continuation.

cheers

John

Comment

I love you hard working semi pro's.....We professional contractors learned decades ago about the advantages of mid sized excavators, site mixed concrete trucks and a flunky labourer or two.......

More power to you Ryan.....and that front elevation.....yes, a definate make over needed ....keep the pics coming.
                  Paul

Comment

Originally posted by OttawaP View Post
                    I love you hard working semi pro's.....We professional contractors learned decades ago about the advantages of mid sized excavators, site mixed concrete trucks and a flunky labourer or two.......

More power to you Ryan.....and that front elevation.....yes, a definate make over needed ....keep the pics coming.
                    Meh....believe me, I thought about it. Only two holes, great sand, I'm still 19 (mentally) and have the body I did at 20
                    Should be easy...right?

Seriously though, if it was three holes or if there was any root/rock concerns, there would have been an mini-ex here in a flash....but I couldn't justify the rental expense as it sat.....although by the time hole #1 was dug I was reconsidering
                    Last edited by Ryan Shervill; 07-27-2010, 07:15 PM.

Comment

12’ of pressure treated sill plate,
                      did you put a sill gasket down there? the picture isn't clear.

Comment

Originally posted by callee View Post
                        did you put a sill gasket down there? the picture isn't clear.
                        Sure did

Don't know how much good it will do, the rest of the wall doesnt have one. That said, in despite not having a gasket, the original sill (where the deck wasn't) looks like the day it was installed 38 years ago.....go figure.

Comment

Well done Ryan. I know you mentioned the Paslode but I see you driving screws too. Are you a MIke Holmes convert? I ain't.

Love Mike but I'm tired of answering my Yankee buddies about framing with screws.
                          "Do it Right!"

Comment

Was the deck header fastened to the rim joist with no barrier between. If it was you can definitely expect Rot.
                            "Do it Right!"

Comment

Day 2.

Day 2 is all about digging….and digging…..and more digging. (too bad the temps were in the 30’s) I had to dig the footings for the new deck. The holes were 36” in diameter and 4’6” deep…..all dug by hand. (Hint: A really short shovel helps when you are chest deep in the hole)+

A test fit of the big foot

Good God!!! Here's the sound I get when I try to insert a shovel in the soil of any house I've owned.....* Tink *. To me a spade shovel is some kind of movie prop used to represent highway workers, cause I've never been able to get the blade more then 1/2" into the ground. And motorized post hole diggers are just some sort of carousel that spins two adults until they let go.

I honestly never would thought it possible to dig a hole like that with hand tools, I had nine holes made using an excavator 48" deep for some bigfoots + 8" sonotube and was left with holes 5-6 feet across at the top and about 6 rocks with widths over 3' and a huge pile of smaller rocks. The big rocks were used to make a small rock wall in my back yard.

Comment

Working...
                              X