I need to enlarge a hole in a bathroom sink

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need to enlarge a hole in a bathroom sink

Hi all. I want to put a kitchen faucet in my bathroom sink. The hole is too small for the new faucet. The sink is porcelain over steel. How would you enlarge this hole to 1 5/16" diameter? BTW, I am not sure of the oresent holes diameter as the old faucet is still in use.

Bruce in the Peg

Re: I need to enlarge a hole in a bathroom sink

I assume you have thought about using a diamond tip burr to enlarge the hole ,a hole saw would have been an option but since there's a hole in the sink already there will be no support for the drill bit.

Comment

I'm not sure (the porcelain makes it difficult), but I think you would have to use an abrasive type cutter. Depending how much larger the hole has to be, you may be able to use a conical sanding/grinding stone, or, I've seen hole saw type cutters coated with cheap diamond and ceramic which might also work.
      EDIT I see Distrbd had the same reply while I was responding. You can use the hole saw if you first drill thru something else (plywood or mdf) to the finish size and use that as a template, clamped in place
      Last edited by Pat from Elora; 08-28-2010, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Porcelain over steel doesn't sound right to me. Are you sure it's not enamel on steel?
        "Do it Right!"

Comment

Most likely enamal on steel. If its porcelain, and hard porcelain - diamond hole boring is the only way to go. Lots of water, drill, stop, wet, and repeat.

Carbide bit that can drill glass, ceramic, concrete, stone ... is still no match for hard porcelain.

If its enamal over steel ... I'll let someone else chime in. The heat might unbond the enamal locally. Maybe continue with the wet diamond method. 1 5/8 diamond hole bore can range from $20-200 depends on brand, and location.

Comment

Different standards for Bathroom and kitchen fixtures, designed to keep from confusing the parts (also keeps one designing inside the box) Going outside the box creates problems in this area. The glass glaze over steel is a super hard and easy to chip (and screw up) material to work with... A grinder harder than the glaze is necessary and slow easy small steps is needed to accomplish this task. (or) Buy the appropriate fixtures for the In the box design required.
            Bill "Hickory" Simpson

Comment

I've done it with a bi-metal hole saw. I ran the drill in reverse until I hit bare metal and then forward until I broke through.

Results may vary of course, but in my instance it worked fine.
              I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Comment

Working...
              X