Entry/mudroom flooring suggestions pls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entry/mudroom flooring suggestions pls

We have only one practical entrance to the house which not only serves as the main entrance but by default means that it needs to be a mudroom. Since we have labs we have a lot of towelling down to do after walks - all water is fair game for them.

The entrance porch is about 10'x 12' and needs remodeling anyway so all the existing cabinets will come out which will make redoing the floor easier. At the moment there is a ceramic tile down but it looks dated and is also slippy when wet and too smooth for our old boy to get up off if he is lying in there.

Ideally I'm after something that looks and wears well that isn't slippy when wet or so slick that the older dogs find it tricky. And at the same time look great as part of the main entry. Clearly the new cabinets in there will be awesome ;-)

It's possible that we would consider some form of underfloor heating but that's not mandatory.

So with that wish list in mind what springs to mind?
    Cheers

Tim

www.timbowdin.com

'If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem'
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Entry/mudroom flooring suggestions pls

My friend just had his entrance redone with non-slip ceramic tile. It looks great and is not slippery when wet.

Comment

I'm a commercial contractor specializing in interiors. I built an addition a few years ago that incorporated the main utility entry to our house. My office is in the basement accessed directly from the entry which is also the main entry to get to my shop so it gets a lot of dirty muddy boots . This entry is also where the kids enter, dog gets cleaned up after a long walk, bikes are brought into the house .... . I finished my entire house in ceramic and hardwood taken from my own stock of oversupplied flooring (I build a lot of American chain stores and they have a habit of supplying twice the quantity of flooring materials than we need so needless to say my basement is full of top quality tile and hardwood.) The one place where I didn't want tile was in this entry or the stairs leading to my office.

I chose rubber based on the fact that it is the hardest wearing, most durable, indestructible, easiest to care for flooring made and it comes in in a bazillion colours. I chose purple, to go with black lacquered trim and stair risers with cherry handrails and details. It's not cheap but I've seen it used in airports, high traffic school stairwells, arenas and jails which are far more demanding applications than my rear entry.. If anything it gets grippier when wet, it's completely bombproof and if you drop a plate on the way out to the barbecue it bounces right back into your hands ;-)

This is the brand available from Centura supply http://www.rubberflooring.ca/products.html
      http://www.centura.ca/
      Last edited by dave_k; 05-28-2011, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Dave - have you got any pics please? I like the idea very much but I suppose my only concern is that it could look institutional.
        Cheers

Tim

www.timbowdin.com

Comment

Hi Tim,

I am in the process of putting in 12 by 12 slate tiles...should have used a grout bag though...nightmare for the knees.

Jeff
          What was urgent was done yesterday, right now I'm working on the impossible...if you want a miracle give me 24 hours.

Comment

I laid all the floors in our old house - swore I would never do it again!!

Dave - I'll call centura on monday but do you know by chance if its compatible with underfloor heating? We would probably want to put an electric heat web down. Also seriously thinking about it for when I re do our kitchen.
            Cheers

Tim

www.timbowdin.com

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Hi Tim

I just went through my photo's and I have pictures taken during construction but none of it completed. My oldest is having a party at our house tonight so I'm sequestered in the basement. You can't see much of the floor at the moment whatever isn't covered in tools and junk is covered in mud. I'll clean up a bit in the AM and post.

The flooring that I used was made by Roppe http://www.roppe.com/ When I bought the flooring I was familiar with Johnsonite http://www.johnsonite.com/FlooringPr...7/Default.aspx which is used a lot around here but they sold me on Roppe and I am very pleased with it. It's installed in epoxy adhesive. I did the installation myself but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're really comfortable doing this kind of work. You have a relatively short open time with the epoxy and it can be messy cleaning the squeeze out. The stair treads were easier to install they were set in a water based adhesive.

My wife and I are partial to contemporary architecture and wanted a finish that was stylish, forgiving, easy to care for and would stand up to ... well ... me. If it were up to me I'd have the stuff in the kitchen as well. I'm the one who does all the big meals and entertaining cooking. I'm the one who's on their feet on that floor for hours at a stretch. However I had some nice oak flooring that landed in my lap and it went well with the existing house so when we renovated the kitchen I was outvoted 1 to 1 with my wife getting the veto. To tell you the truth now that everything is finished hardwood was the best choice visually.

Rubber flooring isn't for everyone. It's a bold design choice and it ain't cheap. I like the look of it, it suits where we have it in the house but I'm a commercial guy ... form follows function.

dave

Comment

We've got similar issues.... dog, kids, rural property, wet climate, etc. We're planning tile with electric heat under it. Dogs love to lie on warm tiles and it helps to dry them off.

If traction is an issue then consider natural slate; it's got lots of texture that help dogs with getting up.
                Last edited by Scott M; 05-29-2011, 11:28 AM.

Comment

No opinion of my own to offer, but I so happen to be looking at an old issue of FHB, that had an article about mudrooms.The article is in issue #178, or can be read online if you have a subscription to FHB or take up their free trial offer. It is entitled "Getting serious about mudrooms" by Scott Gibson. He suggests Vinyl floor as a cheaper alternative to ceramic tile, stone or concrete which needs to be sealed properly. Has a nice cabinet design that emulates a baseball clubhouse player's lockers. Being a baseball fan, this appealed to me personally.

There's another one here at FHB as well in a 2008 issue:

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-...px?ac=ts&ra=fp

Good luck Tim.
                  Kevin

Comment

I'm doing our entranceway as part of this makeover, and have the same issues as the OP. For mine I am going a totally different direction........premium laminate in a natural stone pattern.

I'm using Armstrong laminate tiles, glued at the seams and caulked at the door. I brought some sample tiles to the house and spent two weeks absolutely abusing them before deciding. I've sprayed them down with the hose, hit them with a wire brush, dragged them face down behind the quad on tar and chip, and finally laid them in front of my shop door. I am astounded at how well these "tiles" have done...in fact, we were so impressed we've decided to not only do the entranceway but veto the ceramics and also do the kitchen in the material.

Just another thing to consider

R
                    I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Comment

Working...
                    X