No announcement yet.

Anyone ever had a bathtub re-enameled?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever had a bathtub re-enameled?

Hello again,
    Anyone ever had an old bathtub re enameled? It's an old clawfoot cast iron tub. It's actually in quite good shape but we thought we'd check out the cost and usefulness of having it done. We'd be looking for someone in the Toronto area. Thanks again.

John
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Anyone ever had a bathtub re-enameled?

Interesting you should ask - we are getting ready to replace the surviving tub. Granted your question is aiming to find a local vendor which I obviously can't speak to. But, I should tell you: A) we did it because the original color was so obnoxious (yellow); B) the refinish has lasted 25 years on a stamped metal tub, not cast iron; C) If yours is in "quite good shape," think twice, the cost is appreciable and you have a legacy tub apparently. As to the usefulness, why do it?; you don't say. In hind sight, I would not have done it (except blinking at yellow every use ) or better in our case bitt the bullet and just replaced the darn thing.

Bottom line - refinish serves certain specific needs - if you are casually doing it as you appear to be, get the price and that might settle the question.

Hope this provides some perspective...

WW
    Last edited by Woodwreck; 05-29-2011, 11:15 PM.
    Start slow; wind down gracefully
    woodbilder@mac.com

Comment

Yes, 20 years ago and it lasted about 5 years.

Comment

I had the Bathtub king do it. Looks nice but never as good as the real finish.

Comment

I had one done in my bathroom. Couldn't take it out as I had the bathroom redone, but forgot the tub looked terrible. They did a great job and charged me $400. Looked new.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnInWellington View Post
            Hello again,
            Anyone ever had an old bathtub re enameled? It's an old clawfoot cast iron tub. It's actually in quite good shape but we thought we'd check out the cost and usefulness of having it done. We'd be looking for someone in the Toronto area. Thanks again.

John
            The point you should consider is that re enamelling is at best an epoxy coating and as such will never be as hard or durable as the porcelain original .This was fired at red heat and is silica sand based.Therefore any abrasive cleaners will have a serious damaging effect and it will scratch more easily.Look for an old tub in better shape.I found a 1925 tub and replaced the legs with 1916 claws.In fact I have four lions head feet spare which I would sell

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...
            Working...
            X