Laminate over foam insulation ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laminate over foam insulation ??

I have the drycore 2" square panels on my basement floor but would like the floors to be a bit warmer. If I put 1" pink foam insulation over the drycore can I lay laminate flooring directly on the foam ?

Tee Jay
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Laminate over foam insulation ??

Haven't done that before, two things 1) insulation works best being close to cold surface 2) something like Owens Corning Celfort 300 XPS with a compressive strength of 30 psi
    might work well, or go to the Foamular 400 for higher psi.
    Since you already have the dricore in place any potential moisture may escape via the Dri core Just lay down the XPS
    tape the seams, lay the laminate. Designate a spot to pull up a few pieces of flooring in a year or two ,allowing for a moisture/mould check .02
    Ken

Imagination is more important than knowledge. A Einstein

Comment

Tee Jay,

That's a really good question... I can't really see why not as long as the compression rating of the foam was sufficient like Ken suggested. It would be worthwhile to call Owens Corning and see what they have to say. You could always buy a piece of Celfort 300, cover it with flooring and then jump on it a bunch of times, I bet it would be fine.

I'd make sure the drycore is shimmed very level, I would think this would be important when introducing another layer.

As this would likely void any warranty for the flooring I would only try this on my own house.

I'm interested to hear what others have to say about this.

Matt
      Last edited by matt in golden; 05-30-2011, 11:42 PM.
      SPCHT

Comment

Is it just me, or did anyone else, prior to clicking on this thread, try to imagine gluing plastic laminate sheets to foam insulation? I guess I have a wild imagination!

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur View Post
          Is it just me, or did anyone else, prior to clicking on this thread, try to imagine gluing plastic laminate sheets to foam insulation? I guess I have a wild imagination!
          Yup .... me too ....

cheers

john

Comment

With the dri-core down you allready have a thermal break between the concrete and the laminate.....IMO adding a layer of 1" foam will be a considerable expense with a very minimal gain. I would expect that you would be much durther ahead to choose a quality underlayment instead. In my own basement I put down laminate in the kids play area, with nothing seperating the floor from the concrete but underlay, and it's perfectly fine. I would imagine the addition of the dri core would make it more so.

I'd suggest laying down some underlay and a row or two of flooring and giving it a try for a couple of days before laying out big $ to try a process that is experimental at best, wastefull at worst.

Ryan
            I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by Tee Jay View Post
              I have the drycore 2" square panels
              You've either got a very small basement, or a whoooooole bunch of tiny dricore panels!

Seriously, though I'd suggest spending some time better analyzing your situation to figure out if the dricore is allowing enough heat to escape that more insulation is warranted. A few temperature measurements will give a better idea of the floor's current thermal situation; I'd like to know a bit more before I get that specific, though.

What kind of heating is in the basement? I'm assuming the walls are finished - how are they built, what sort of insulation is in there? What's covering the floor right now?

As for your initial question, how solid is the dricore floor now? Does it flex in any spots due to uneven concrete below? It also depends on the stiffness and size of the laminate, and how solid the joints between pieces will be. For this to work with pink foam, I'd suggest laying 1/4" or thicker plywood over the foam, then install the laminate, to spread the loads of people and objects over a larger area, lessening the chances of pressure concentrations deforming the foam and making a wavy surface over time. Just remember to lay the pink foam one way, and the wood the other.
              --
              CK

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonKevin View Post
                As for your initial question, how solid is the dricore floor now? Does it flex in any spots due to uneven concrete below? It also depends on the stiffness and size of the laminate, and how solid the joints between pieces will be. For this to work with pink foam, I'd suggest laying 1/4" or thicker plywood over the foam, then install the laminate, to spread the loads of people and objects over a larger area, lessening the chances of pressure concentrations deforming the foam and making a wavy surface over time. Just remember to lay the pink foam one way, and the wood the other.
                Excellent advice. Excessive flexing will break the locking system off of all quality levels of floating floors. UHDF, veneercore, PVC...

And TeeJay, do yourself a favour, don't skimp on the pad.

Comment

Working...
                X