Waterproof Butcherblock Countertops?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waterproof Butcherblock Countertops?

My parents have purchased butcherblock countertops for the kitchen and would like to know what they need to put on it to make it waterproof and is it food safe?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Waterproof Butcherblock Countertops?

Waterproof and food safe? Epoxy is the only thing that'll do both. Google "epoxy bar top coating".

Water *resistant* is a more attainable goal, and can be accomplished with a decent Poly or Acryllic.

Ryan
    I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Comment

I have always used mineral oil and/or bees wax. here is a good article, on finishing and care.
      http://whatscookingamerica.net/Cutti...s/AllAbout.htm
      Jerome
      Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
      Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become beer.......but didn't....

Comment

Not sure how water proof but here's some of the advice I give with cutting boards and butcher blocks.
        During the manufacturing process of our cutting boards, cheese boards, bread boards, chopping blocks, and chopping block tables I use FDA approved glue and mineral oil to season the boards.

BOARD CARE:When you bring your new board home you will want to oil it once a week for the first month. After the first month, oil the board once a month.

TO Remove Stains:

Apply 1 tablespoon of sea salt to the board using a warm, damp cloth as while rubbing. Rinse and dry well, apply oil.

Board Looks Dull?Apply oil
        Bill

Comment

google 'Devos wood countertops', the guy specializes in these and had an article in FWW (last year?) about how to make wood countertops. I know you're not making them, but he uses Waterlox as a finish, food safe and pretty close to waterproof.

Comment

Are you sure they ordered butcher block for the whole kitchen? From your post that's what it sounds like but doing that is pretty much unheard of. They may have purchased a butcher block laminate look alike. That would be much more common.

If in fact it is real wood they may dread their retirement because a lot of it is going to be spent caring for the tops but the mineral oil advice given above is "good advice."
            "Do it Right!"

Comment

Waterlox is what they heard of so, that's probably the route their going to take. This is not a laminate, it is butcherblock, but they are not going to cut on it. The decor is kind of rustic with slate floors, so it should look good. Mom likes being different.

Thanks for help.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

Comment

Thanks for the clarity. If your Mom is in Atlanta at least we know she'll have enough humidity to keep the wood from drying out.
                "Do it Right!"

Comment

Waterlox is a good product but keep in mind it is an oil varnish. It has the ability to penetrate, but will also build a film. I would recommend thinning it at least 50% and spend a lot of time rubbing in the first 3 or 4 applications. It will penetrate better and slowly build to a nice satin sheen. Later maintenance is easier than if you just try to builds in 2 or 3 un-thinned coats. Don't buy it in gallon cans unless it is going to be used quickly. It will start to air cure. Better to buy 1 qt cans and open as required.

Don

Comment

And remember to finish the bottom of the countertop with an equal # of coats as the top (you just don't have to be as neat about it ;) )
                    I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Comment

Waterlox has some finishing info for countertops on their website if you are interested.

Comment

Working...
                      X