Removing glued on panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing glued on panels

The love of my life has decided that the woodgrain sort of wallboard that has been in our back porch for the past 25 years has to go. I believe the panels are attaced with a PL type of adhesive.
    I am quite sure that the removal will involve simply applying sufficient brute strength and hope the damage to the underlying drywall in minimal.
    But I thought I would throw the idea out to the forum just in case there is some undocumented trick to this.
    It is cold and wet outside so a good day for an idoor demolition project.

Thanks

Don
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Removing glued on panels

Don, if they are interior panels there is a chance that they are attached with contact adhesive....before prying them all off I would try pulling back the top edge and dribbling some acetone behind it just to see what happens.

If it is polyurethane adhesive, brute force is your only option. The wallboard isn't likely to survive in a useable fashion though....you will probably either need to skim coat the entire surface with compound or you can screw up a sheet of 1/4"'right overtop.
    I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Comment

Try a heat gun most adhesives will soften or let go when you warm them up good.

Bill

Comment

if it attached to drywall just rip it all off it will be faster and cheaper and less frustrating in the long run.
        Jerome
        Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
        Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become beer.......but didn't....

Comment

Well it all went well. There wasn't as much glue as I thought and the job went well.

Until she mused that she was tired of the carpet.......so, this am I am a bit sore but there is harmony in the nest.

I took apart a computer hard drive a few yeas ago and kept the magnets. I used one to collect all of the staples left behind from the carpet. Man are these magnets strong!

Thanks everyone.

Don

Comment

Working...
          X