Rebuilding a patio deck

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilding a patio deck

I have been asked to rebuild a patio deck. It was build by the original owner using 1" fence boards and then sealed with water seal. It lasted for about 5-6 years even with re-coating of the water seal, I suspect because it gets sun for most of the day due to it's orientation.

They want to fix it and do it right this time and are hoping to get more along the line of 20-25 years out of it. As I was not involved in the original construction and have not ripped it apart to see how it was originally constructed, I don't know what went wrong and caused an early demise.

Right now I am working on the budget to give them some idea's to spruce up what they have and give them some bragging rights when guests come over.

I have heard a bit about using IPE as it's density and rot resistance, but is more expensive and difficult to cut and will last the time span that the customer would like.

I have read that ceder that you buy now is not the same as that from 30-40 years ago, and that you can't get the long life out of todays boards as it's sap wood not the heart wood.

Any other idea's for what wood to look into would be appreciated.

Matt.
    Matt

People are like a box of chocolates. It's hard to tell initially which ones are nuts.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Rebuilding a patio deck

Re: Rebuilding a patio deck

Originally posted by matt.mackinnon View Post
    I have been asked to rebuild a patio deck. It was build by the original owner using 1" fence boards and then sealed with water seal. It lasted for about 5-6 years even with re-coating of the water seal, I suspect because it gets sun for most of the day due to it's orientation.

They want to fix it and do it right this time and are hoping to get more along the line of 20-25 years out of it. As I was not involved in the original construction and have not ripped it apart to see how it was originally constructed, I don't know what went wrong and caused an early demise.

Right now I am working on the budget to give them some idea's to spruce up what they have and give them some bragging rights when guests come over.

I have heard a bit about using IPE as it's density and rot resistance, but is more expensive and difficult to cut and will last the time span that the customer would like.

I have read that ceder that you buy now is not the same as that from 30-40 years ago, and that you can't get the long life out of todays boards as it's sap wood not the heart wood.

Any other idea's for what wood to look into would be appreciated.

Matt.
    I don't know what kind of wood this (Batu) is but apparently it's new and lasts 25yrs. It's from a group called Castle Building Supplies.

Comment

Working...
    X