Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Acme Slate anyone else have problems with them?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acme Slate anyone else have problems with them?

I went to Acme Slate after seeing it used on Holmes on Homes.

I ordered standard 12x24 tiles for the floor and shower walls. The tiles were good quality.

The problem came with the rest of the order.

I had Acme Slate cut the 4x4 tiles for the floor of the shower. They were unable to cut squares and I ended up getting mostly rectangles. The tiles were 1/8" to 1/4" difference in length to width. This difference caused the design to change from a straight laid pattern to having to stagger them to try to hide the differences in size.

I also had them cut slabs for the back wall cap, shower threshold, shower niche shelves and vanity top. I called and talked to the owner to ask if they would be able to cut curved pieces for the slab if I provided exact templates. He assured me that he could cut anything I could make. So I made MDF templates of all the curved pieces that I wanted in slab and shipped the templates to Acme. I called a few days later to assure that the templates made it there intact- they did.
    After 3 weeks Acme called me and told me that they couldn't cut slab to match the templates I provided. I told them that I had called and talked to the owner before making the templates and was assured that they could make them- they then told me that since I talked to the owner that they could do them then. I asked if they would be able to do a quality job if they were too difficult and was again assured that they could handle it. I even asked if they could send them out to be water jetted and they told me they could do it in house.
    Another couple of weeks went by and Acme called again and said that they could not find any 3/4" slab and that they would have to cut it from 1 1/4" slab. I had to go check to make sure it would work and called them back and told them to go ahead and I would change what I needed to make the thicker material work.
    Couple weeks later they called and told me that the order was ready for pick up. I am located in Sarnia- 3 hours away, so I drove up and picked the order up and when I got there the slab pieces were 3/4"! I asked what happened and they said "Oh yeah we found some 3/4!" then they told me that they couldn't cut it out of the thicker 1 1/4" as their machines couldn't cut that thick. At that point I just said well a phone call would have been nice. I guess I will have to change what I can- back to fit the thinner material.
    I drove around back to load the order and the tiles were loaded first then we loaded the slab pieces that were very dirty and hard to see what they looked like, figured I would have some cleaning to do once I got home.
    Cleaned the slab pieces first and found that they had broken one of the slabs when they tried to drill it and epoxied it back together. There was still a bunch of epoxy on the edge that had been sanded some and the crack on the top of the piece was very visible.
    The finish on the edges of the slabs was poor as you could see that they had went from course grit right to fine grit and the course grit sanding marks showed through on every piece. Also there were undulations along the edges.
    I called them and told them about the broken piece and the owner told me that no it would not have been broken and re-glued- I told him that I would send him pictures! So I sent the pics and didn't hear back from them so after a week and a half went by I called and they told me they would call me back, I ended up having to call them back a week later and they told me they would replace the slab to just drop the template off and they would remake the piece. They know that I am 3 hours away and I told them that it was not possible. I told them that the bathroom needed to get finished and I couldn't wait any longer and that they needed to refund my money for the slab/ labour for work on it and refund for the shower floor tiles that were rectangles. They said fine that they would need to look at the paper work to figure out how much of a refund to give and that they would call me back. That was months ago! I have called and left multiple messages with people there and on their voice mail as I seem not to be able to get an answer there any more!
    I also asked what grit of sand paper to use to sand the epoxy off and they told me 400 wet is what they use. I sanded it and then put it up to the other half and it was clear that they only sanded to maybe 320! So now I have to sand all the edges of the slabs so that they will match. I am going to sand them all with 320 to get rid of the course sanding marks that you can still see and then sand with 400 wet.

Tiles were good- but I would not suggest for anyone to get any fabrication work done there as it is amateur at best. They don't touch the standard size tiles so they are good.

I thought this could be handled between honest business men- but Acme Slate has turned out to be one of those suppliers that Mike Holmes always talks about. I went and checked and he still lists Acme Slate on his site as a recommended supplier. Posting this on line was a last resort to try to guilt Acme Slate into doing the right thing and refunding a portion of the money that was paid for broken material and poor quality fabrication. I will gladly take it down once Money has been refunded.
    aaronw likes this.
    Don't trust everything you see on Holmes on Homes;
    http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com...lems-with-them
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Acme Slate anyone else have problems with them?

You should try emailing Mike Holmes as well, see if that hets you anywhere.

Comment

Sounds like Acme Slate is run by that scoundrel Willye Coyote.

And when things went sour, he turned into a Road Runner.

Hope you get your money back somehow, and sorry to hear of the plight.
      Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Mauro C View Post
        You should try emailing Mike Holmes as well, see if that hets you anywhere.
        Good idea. I sent Mike Holmes an email advising him that one of his recommended suppliers is conducting business like the guys he warns everyone about!

Comment

Angle grinder with a rock blade.
          Egon
          from
          The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

I am using an auto body sander with 320 grit paper and then using 400 wet by hand. looks good when its done- but I paid to have them do it!

Comment

Be interesting to see/hear if MH replies to your email

Comment

Haven't heard anything back yet. I would be really surprised if I do.

Comment

Still no reply from either Acme Slate or Mike Holmes.

Comment

These pictures are trying to show that Acme Slate was unable to cut a smooth curve. I sanded for hours to try to smooth it out so that it wasn't as noticeable. The shelves were not as bad as the vanity but needed attention too. The shower threshold was the worse out of them all!

The next few pics are showing the edge treatment that I was told was sanded to 400 wet. I know its hard to see in the pics, but they went right from course sanding to fine grit- probably 320.

Here is how the edge looks after hours of sanding from 220 to 320 to 400 all on the auto body sander and then 400 wet by hand.

Now here is the slab that Acme Slate broke and glued back together and then left it for me to find when I got home.

The slab on the right is the one that broke when they tried to drill it- makes sense since it is thinner than the other slab on the left. You can also see the poorly sanded edge in these pics.

Comment

I am still pissed about the nightmare I had to endure because of Acme Slate so I posted this on the Mike Holmes site. Figured I would post it here as well to help warn people to avoid dealing with such a dishonest business as Acme Slate.

When people see the slate bathroom that we did they are very impressed and everyone loves the slate. But as soon as the words "I love the slate" come out of their mouth I tell them what a nightmare Acme Slate was to deal with and how disappointed I am with Mike Holmes.

I mean its not Mike's fault that Acme Slate couldn't cut square tiles, provided two different thicknesses on a piece they knew was being joined, broke and glued a piece of slab and then left it for me to find, couldn't cut the slabs the same size or shape as the provided templates, made the sink hole for the vanity 1/4" smaller than the template, was unable to cut a smooth curve and charged over $1200 for an edge treatment that I had to redo every inch of!

But it is Mike's fault that he recommends Acme Slate. If you are going to recommend a supplier make sure that they are not conducting business like the ones that you harp about on your show! I still watch Mike Holmes from time to time- but now I laugh every time he starts to criticize a contractor or supplier. It is comical that he can honestly say that he wants to change the industry but can't even recommend quality suppliers.

And yes I know they provide a legal disclaimer at the top of the contractors list;

"Listed below are the contractors, suppliers, services and manufacturers that have appeared on Holmes on Homes. This database is meant strictly as a resource to aid you in narrowing your search when looking for trades, and not as a warranted referral service. Always do your own research and follow Mike's advice on how to hire a contractor, even if they are found here."

To change the industry takes more than hiding behind a legal disclaimer (thats what everyone else does).

But like I said before I am not posting this to try to get Mike to come and redo our bathroom. I was simply looking to let him and everyone else know that Acme Slate should not be on his recommended contractors list. By having them there they are advertising for the type of supplier they warn everyone about.

Acme Slate is the worse supplier that I have ever dealt with. The only thing worse than Acme Slates fabrication is their customer service!

Acme Slate
                      Stephen Wright
                      780 Birchmount Road Toronto Units 8 & 9 M1K 5H4
                      Tel: 416-293-3664
                      Fax: 416-293-3232
                      Email: sales@acmeslate.com

http://www.acmeslate.com

Featured on Holmes On Homes Episodes:
                      Season 3 - SPECIAL: Holmes for the Holidays
                      Season 4 - EP4044: Bar None
                      Season 4 - EP4045: A River Ran Through It
                      Season 4 - EP4046: Best Laid Plan
                      Season 4 - EP4050: Unfinished Business
                      Season 6 - EP6077: Clean Slate
                      Season 7 - EP7082: Paradise Island

Comment

Looks like criticism is not allowed on the Mike Holmes site!

by Mandy on Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:55 am
                        Hi Bob, I am locking this thread. I have made Acme slate aware of your complaints and that is the most this forum can do for you. I am sorry you had this problem but I suggest you continue to deal with Acme Slate directly. This is the only complaint received about the company and I cannot discuss the other side here so it's just not fair to allow this to continue.

I hope you can reach some kind of agreement with them.

Mandy Administrator
                        Posts: 3195Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:21 amLocation: Toronto, ON, Canada

Mandy,

I was disappointed to see that you locked this thread. It was meant as a sort of public service to warn people against getting ripped off- just like Mike always warns people.

Yes I was a little frustrated when I wrote the last post. So if the criticism is too much for the site to bear- delete the last post. But leave the rest up to warn people. I am sure you can understand my frustration when I contact the site that recommends them and show them pictures of the problems and they don't even take the time to pick up the phone and call Acme Slate or myself. I mean I was not asking for much, just a bit of help to get things sorted out.

This thread was only created after almost a year of trying to get Stephen at Acme Slate to come good for the poor quality workmanship. I still had hope that Mike would be able to help and "Make it right"

Bob.
                        Last edited by Bobcdn; 03-20-2012, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Hey Bob,
                          I've been on the holmes on homes forum for quite some time now. As much as I feel your pain, and it sucks when you get screwed (especially by some that's recommended by someone as publicly against poor workmanship as Mike). Mike does not check or read that forum. They have very strict rules about posting any kind of feedback (good or bad) for specific companies. I've posted good stuff about window and roof companies (ones that did my house) but the posts were quickly removed.

Just out of curiosity, have you filed a complaint with the better business bureau? Any time I've gotten the run around from a company in the past, I immediately file a complaint. Things usually get resolved pretty quickly. You have pictures and documentation to support your claim, so I say go and file one asap. If all it does at the end of the day is hurt their rating, then hey, they can't use that as advertising anymore. My window installer and roofer both has an A+ BBB rating, and they were very proud of that. If they had a B or C rating because of claims, they loose that credibility.
                          Name is Kamil

Comment

They have an A+ rating right now, with no complaints or claims. Good opportunity to wreck that for them.
                            http://www.bbb.org/kitchener/busines...ugh-on-1090392
                            Name is Kamil

Comment

I thought the BBB was simply a member paid to join organization. Only the members that join are rated on. If they are not on the BBB, they simply are not members of the BBB and they could be still great to deal with. It's kinda like join the BBB and unless we get a lot of complaints about you, if someone looks you up with us, they will feel more cozy dealing with you due to the perceived notion that the BBB is a real stamp of approval of good businesses to deal with type of endorsement.
                              Kevin

Comment

Working...
                              X