No announcement yet.

Ryan Shervill's 2011 DIY renovation...."Maximum Makeover, the inside edition"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ryan Shervill's 2011 DIY renovation...."Maximum Makeover, the inside edition"

Re: Ryan Shervill's 2011 DIY renovation...."Maximum Makeover, the inside edition"

Ryan you are always welcome to drop down and use my connection
    Jerome
    Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
    CARPENTER noun. (car-pun-ter)
    ) A person who solves problems you can't.
    2) One who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data, provided by those of questionable knowledge. see also: wizard, magician.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

• Re: Ryan Shervill's 2011 DIY renovation...."Maximum Makeover, the inside edition"

Re: Ryan Shervill's 2011 DIY renovation...."Maximum Makeover, the inside edition"

I would be getting on the horn and staying on it till I got to a senior supervisor. Explain to him or her your position and the need for reliable steady and stable Internet service. I would be expecting a few free months of service from them if I where you Ryan. This is ridiculous.
      https://www.facebook.com/gregsreinventions2016/

Comment

Originally posted by Greg from K/W View Post
        I would be getting on the horn and staying on it till I got to a senior supervisor. Explain to him or her your position and the need for reliable steady and stable Internet service. I would be expecting a few free months of service from them if I where you Ryan. This is ridiculous.
        Believe me, I know....but I'm kind of between a rock and a hard place here. The *only* option I have is telus/bell towers.....Roger's wont work (no signal), satellite is out due to our being in a valley, etc.

Up until last year we were stuck with 28k dial up (picture writing magazine articles for a living and trying to send photo's, PDF's, edits, etc over dial up...every day)

What we have now is fast, no doubt....regular posting, downloads, etc are not a problem....the ssue comes with trying to upload, especially photos. It's almost like the connection "blips" for a microsecond every so often...not even noticible except it results in a "failed upload, retry" on two out of three pics. It takes over an hour or so to do those blog entries every day when it *works*.....I just can't spend 4 hours or more each and every day to accomplish the same thing.

I'm still on them though....and will continue to be.
        I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Comment

Maybe you should move to area and have fibre to the home. VERY fast internet.
          George Burns

Comment

Originally posted by tex101 View Post
            Maybe you should move to area and have fibre to the home. VERY fast internet.
            This is what I saw off my front porch last week

I think I'll stay put
            I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Comment

Ya but there are all the little things that fly around in the spring. Um Black Flies? Deer flies? And the worst Snow Flies. LMAO
              https://www.facebook.com/gregsreinventions2016/

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by Ryan Shervill View Post
                ... satellite is out due to our being in a valley, etc.
                Ryan, my co-worker had 2 years (3?) of satellite internet and hated it. He got nailed by bandwidth limits all the time (has adult kids at home) -- you hit the limit and they just lock you down to slower than dial-up speeds. Speed of light (from dish to satellite and back) is also an issue.
                I forget if uploads also had a problem. Like most home internet, the satellite is biased towards downloads not uploads.
                It's not about you.

Comment

Any updates?

Question about the wet area laminates from armstrong - do they come in hardwood flavours too? We're looking at removing the Lino in our tent trailer this spring (it was curling in the corners right from the start), and the wife figured it would look great with hardwood laminate instead.

Any thoughts on how to start my install in a trailer? I was thinking about nailing and gluing down the first strip at the door, then letting the rest float into the trailer, but I haven't figured out how to do the transition at the door yet. Then, I would use a quarter round moulding around the inside to hide the expansion gap.

Last question, how does the cost of this stuff compare to regular laminate? Can you give me a rough idea of cost per square foot.

Thanks, John
                  Shut up, wretched cricket of doom...

Comment

Originally posted by John in Calgary View Post
                    Any updates?

Question about the wet area laminates from armstrong - do they come in hardwood flavours too? We're looking at removing the Lino in our tent trailer this spring (it was curling in the corners right from the start), and the wife figured it would look great with hardwood laminate instead.

Any thoughts on how to start my install in a trailer? I was thinking about nailing and gluing down the first strip at the door, then letting the rest float into the trailer, but I haven't figured out how to do the transition at the door yet. Then, I would use a quarter round moulding around the inside to hide the expansion gap.

Last question, how does the cost of this stuff compare to regular laminate? Can you give me a rough idea of cost per square foot.

Thanks, John
                    Replies in red...

Question about the wet area laminates from armstrong - do they come in hardwood flavours too? Yes, but there but there is no such thing as "wet area laminates from Armstrong". We're looking at removing the Lino in our tent trailer this spring (it was curling in the corners right from the start), and the wife figured it would look great with hardwood laminate instead. The curling is due to the fact that the vinyl is a 'felt-back'. It requires 1/4 round, shoe mould or silicone to keep it from curling. Vinyl shrinks, paper (felt) does not. This results in the edge curling. Fiberglass type vinyls, like Armstrong's Cushionstep, take care of this problem.

Any thoughts on how to start my install in a trailer? I was thinking about nailing and gluing down the first strip at the door, then letting the rest float into the trailer, but I haven't figured out how to do the transition at the door yet. Then, I would use a quarter round moulding around the inside to hide the expansion gap. This could work in a smaller area. Compensate by enlarging the expansion gap on the opposite side. Don't pinch the laminate with the quarter round. Forget about warranty in a trailer (no climate control).

Thanks, John

Comment

Working...
                    X