No announcement yet.

Ryan Shervill's 2011 DIY renovation...."Maximum Makeover, the inside edition"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ryan Shervill's 2011 DIY renovation...."Maximum Makeover, the inside edition"

Re: Ryan Shervill's 2011 DIY renovation...."Maximum Makeover, the inside edition"

I'll be waiting to hear your plan and BTW you didn't sneak that new avatar by us.
    "Do it Right!"

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Are you not done this yet? you've been working on since the spring.
      Jerome
      Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
      Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become whiskey.......but didn't....

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome View Post
        Are you not done this yet? you've been working on since the spring.
        Too many coffee breaks.....hows your project coming?
        I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Comment

OK, back at it. As I mentioned yesterday, the better part of today was all about pulling nails. The problem with T&G cedar is that when you pull it off of the walls, the finish nails stay in the wall…..and trust me, you want to make sure you get every single nail out or it will wreak havoc when you are trying to put your drywall up.

So my helper KJ arrived bright and early, and we went straight to work pulling the remaining insulation and the thousands of nails…..that burned an entire day.

And we made a HUGE mess (again)

But at the end of the day there was nail-free lumber:

And once the mess was cleaned up, a happy pooch

Thanks for looking everybody. I’m off tomorrow, so the next update will be Friday PM.

Ryan

I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Comment

How the hell do you get a day off?
            Last edited by Rusty; 08-31-2011, 10:17 PM.
            "Do it Right!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
              How the hell do you get a fay off?
              Still working....just not on this

Comment

How the hell do you get a day off?

He's probably anticipating a stiff neck tomorrow dealing with all those overhead nails.
                Kevin

Comment

Ryan,
                  I love these threads! Keep up the great work, and thanks for sharing!

Mark

Comment

Sorry for the delay folks….as always when it comes to a renovation, there was a little unexpected setback (I’ll explain in a bit)

OK….next step: Dealing with the single pane windows and HUGE patio door.
                    Installed in the 70’s, this massive expanse of glass lost vast amounts of heat in the winter, so they had to come out.

Removal is easy when you don’t have to save anything! A pry bar, sawzall and a driver are about as high tech as you need to go.

The glass was removed from the frames (both windows and door) and the frames unscrewed/cut out from their locations

And finally the new door was framed in and installed. (Sorry for the lack of pics, but trying to move a hundred pounds of door solo while taking pics is a bit of a challenge)

I’ll talk about that patio door a little more later, but I have to say: I was a little concerned that the whole “blinds inside the glass” thing was a bit of a gimmick, but it turns out this is a really useful feature and a nice quality door. As much as I hate to admit it….Chantelle was right, they are great.

The surprise:

SO I got the patio door foamed in place, and my goal for the rest of the day was to turn this old man-door into wall space. You know….cut out the doorframe, frame in some new studs, re-sheet the outside. Easy…right?

It’s never….ever…..easy. Door came out:

And a new problem to deal with rears it’s ugly head: Rot.

I started cutting out the rot and replacing the sill, rim joist and joists from the affected area, but ran out of time, so a temporary door was put up for the night. High-security housewrap ;):

Thanks all, more tomorrow.

Ryan

Comment

You are making great progress I can hardly wait to see it finished.
                      Last edited by Jerome; 09-07-2011, 07:30 AM. Reason: spelling
                      Jerome
                      Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
                      Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become whiskey.......but didn't....

Comment

What a mess huh? I guess we all know the new install will be sheathed properly with a new Membrane.

I like the vertical shiplap but one of it's pitfalls is a driving rain unfortunately, and most often the wrap is done poorly and caulking joints fail around windows and doors due to constant expansion and shrinkage.
                        "Do it Right!"

Comment

What a mess huh? I guess we all know the new install will be sheathed properly with a new Membrane.

I like the vertical shiplap but one of it's pitfalls is a driving rain unfortunately, and most often the wrap is done poorly and caulking joints fail around windows and doors due to constant expansion and shrinkage.
                          A mess for sure, but you know as well as I do......no matter how good something looks on the outside, chances are VERY good that you are going to find a surprise or two once you start opening things up.

The siding has actually done pretty well considering it's been up for 35 years, and 99% of it is still sound. The big bonus to the vertical shiplap is that when it comes time to put up the vinyl I don't have to strap first

Working on the next entry now, should have it up shortly.

R

Comment

Back to it.

So after the rot discovery yesterday, I decided to dig a little further and see how far the damage went.

Turns out that the rot was the result of a deck that once ran along that part of the house. Back in the 70’s, it was common practice here to just lag your ledger board to the house, and position your posts on cinderblocks, bricks, rocks….whatever was handy. These two decisions however can lead to the perfect storm for structural rot. Here’s why; Because the deck posts just sat on top of the ground (rather than on the poured footings we use today), seasonal freeze/thaw cycles would actually cause the posts to raise up (also known as “Frost heave”), and this causes the deck to tilt back towards the house….and where the deck tilts, the water goes. Add to this the fact that the ledger is tight to the house, and you can imagine what 30+ years of water pooling against the wall can do to your structure.

Anyway, it ended up making more sense to cut out the entire section that was faced with the original deck and start fresh. So my little door sized hole became a (slightly) larger one.

The rim joist, sil plate, and a few joists came out and were replaced with new lumber, and finally the first 18” or so of plywood subfloor replaced and screwed down.

With all that done is was time to fill the huge hole and frame for the new all vinyl slider window

Wrap up the sheathing , install and foam in the window

And then it was time to clean up. This stage of construction always seems to take forever, and it can be frustrating to not see a bunch of progress at the end of each day, but it’s definitely worth taking the time to do it right and fix any problems that you discover rather than just being tempted to cover them up (Chances are at least some of the stuff you are dealing with is a result of some previous handyman doing exactly that ;) )

Hitting the demolition home stretch! Tomorrow should see the flooring up, the dumpster full, and a clean slate to start with the fun stuff.

Ryan

Comment

Hey, I note that you moved the window... If you were originally just going to fill in the door, then was the window originally NOT going to move?
                              It's not about you.

Comment

It actually only ended up moving a few inches. The pics exaggerate it because of the sink being moved over (the original plumbing never moves) and the switch from a 48" to a 36" wide window. The original plan was to pull the door, and flip and re-use the king stud/header for the window (right hand side of door framing would become left hand side of window framing)...but with the rot it didn't work out that way. This actually makes things easier though.

Comment

Working...
                                X