No announcement yet.

Ryan Shervill's 2011 DIY renovation...."Maximum Makeover, the inside edition"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ryan Shervill's 2011 DIY renovation...."Maximum Makeover, the inside edition"

Re: Ryan Shervill's 2011 DIY renovation...."Maximum Makeover, the inside edition"

I'll say one thing about you Ryan: you don't run away from hard work. I admire a person who has guts. Keep it up and the best of luck to you.

Comment

My thoughts exactly!!!! (about the hard work that is) By the time your done with the inside wouldn't it have been easier to just level and build what you wanted from the get go???????maybe even cheaper.
      Darren in Oshawa

Comment

Originally posted by Owen View Post
        I'll say one thing about you Ryan: you don't run away from hard work. I admire a person who has guts. Keep it up and the best of luck to you.
        Thanks Owen. Still not sure if it's guts or stubborn stupidity....but I guess the end result is the same either way

Originally posted by thenewguy View Post
        My thoughts exactly!!!! (about the hard work that is) By the time your done with the inside wouldn't it have been easier to just level and build what you wanted from the get go???????maybe even cheaper.
        Maybe.....but I like the house, love the location, and besides....renovation and DIY is great for the magazines, but building your own house is more suited to TV....and I'm not pretty enough for TV

Trying to get the next entry done, will get it up ASAP.

R
        I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Comment

Last day of demolition!

So…the cabinets are gone, walls are down, insulation gone, and the house is an empty shell…..except for the flooring.

The first job was to tackle the kitchen floor, and let me tell you: It was waaaay more work than I was expecting. The kitchen floor was sheet linoleum glued down to ¼” ply, which was in turn nailed down onto the 5/8” subfloor...with some staples AND screws in select areas for added interest.

It’s funny though, of all the fancy modern tools at my disposal, the one thing that worked better than anything for pulling up that floor was a 50 year old garden fork. It could be wedged under the plywood while (mostly) missing the fasteners, then lifted to break up the sheet.

The carpet in the rest of the house was just a *little* easier. It was just cut into manageable sizes with my utility knife

And rolled up to be brought to the bin

Now….something I don’t have pics of, but wish I did, was the tiled front entry. What a NIGHTMARE! When I laid that tile I did it to last…..which means I was essentially fighting myself. My floor was ½” ply screwed every 4” into the subfloor, topped with mortar, topped with ceramic tile. The tile was easily dealt with with the sledge, but then I was looking at 8 million screws….covered with mortar. I couldn’t rip them up, and I couldn’t unscrew them (as the heads were buried under/filled with mortar), but it had to come up.

I ended up just cutting the entire assembly (including subfloor) and prying up that whole section, then replacing the 5/8 ply.

Anyway, the flooring was loaded into the now overflowing bin (Like I said early on, always order larger than you think!) and Simcoe Disposal was called out to take it away.

Tool of the day! Believe it or not, an old garden fork saved the day.

So: That wraps up stage 1. We’ve spent a bunch of time and energy pulling stuff *out* of the house…time to start bringing stuff *in*. Check back first of the week, things are gonna start to happen!

Thanks all,

Ryan
          I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Comment

With the demo complete, and everything laid out in place, it was time to get organized on the heart of the renovation….the kitchen!

I had briefly contemplated designing the kitchen and building the cabinets myself, but a realistic look at everything that I still needed to get done quickly laid that idea to rest.

Chantelle and I had looked at the various production and semi custom cabinets available through both specialty stores and the home stores, and spent hours online researching, reading reviews, and looking at pictures trying to determine the best cabinets for the money (and there are a TON to choose from!). We ultimately decided to go with KraftMaid cabinets for a bunch of reasons I’ll get into later in the build, but I’m sure we made the right choice. .

We called Lowe’s in Barrie and set up an appointment with what we thought was going to be a kitchen designer to help lay out our space, and headed to the store.

Turns out we didn’t get to consult with a designer….we got two!
            We met up with Donna and Deborah (or as we came to know them, “The two D’s”)

We spent literally the whole day with these two fine ladies going over absolutely everything from style and layout, to colours, to materials, to appliances, to wall colour, to flooring….and a thousand other different things. They worked their magic in the computer and we ended up with a design that fit our style, space, and budget. Later on in this blog I plan to go very much in depth examining the kitchen design/order process and the products themselves, but for now just a couple pictures of the three most important women in my life.

My wife Chantelle sitting at the design table with Deborah and Donna.

I just wanted to touch briefly on this step as it’s important to order what you want early enough in the build process to ensure it’s all ready when your space is, so thanks for looking.

Tomorrow it’s back to the sawdust and chaos, finishing up the details and getting ready for something I’m really excited about…..stay tuned ;)

Ryan

Comment

Just keep her smilling throughout the process Ryan, and everything else will be easy.
              Kevin

Comment

Based on the look from Chantelle in the second picture where did she end up shoving the camera or did you put it away in time.
                Jamie www.turneddesignsbyjamie.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Lost in the Woods View Post
                  Just keep her smilling throughout the process Ryan, and everything else will be easy.
                  Amen to that! Actually, she really is a trooper....she pretty much has to be living with me. This is the third major project she's lived through, and I'm pretty sure she is the only one that keeps things sane. Between the kids, the exhasted husband and the lack of (kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, etc) Chantelle has a lot on her hands...but she always comes through.

Originally posted by jaywood1207 View Post
                  Based on the look from Chantelle in the second picture where did she end up shoving the camera or did you put it away in time.
                  LOL....nahh. She's generally not a big photo fan, but she is getting better. I actually managed to talk her into doing a photo for CHW! (It's in the next issue)

Comment

Disaster strikes!

Well, not really disaster….but a fly in the ointment for sure. Remember how I said I made the sink removable? Well….I had pulled it out from the wall to prep for the next step, unhooking the drain and trap but leaving the flex-supply lines hooked up……and one of the guys helping me decided to wash his hands. Having no drain line hooked up meant the torrent of water hit the floor….then found an opening….to the basement…..DIRECTLY over my 60” Plasma TV :(

The first casualty of the Maximum Makeover…..RIP

Comment

But now it starts to get fun!

After seeing Deb and Donna at Lowe’s, we had a full set of detailed plans, so I was able to shift any electrical boxes to the exact correct positions, wrap them with poly and get ready for the next step….

Insulation!
                      This house offered some unique challenges insulation wise. Being a 70’s Viceroy, and designed as a cottage; let’s just say that r2000 specs weren’t even on the radar.

Faced with 2X4 walls and 2X10 cathedral ceilings, there was only one logical choice for insulation: Spray foam. Once again I turned to Lowe’s, and once again I wasn’t disappointed. The store set me up an appointment with their spray foam contractor, Insta Insulation and they came out and gave me a quote. We went over the details of what foam would do for me, talked about the eco-energy rebate program (WELL worth looking in to!), and went over the prep that I would have to do (clean up and get the family out of the house for 24 hrs….that’s about it), and booked my “spray-day”.

Why spray foam? Well….going with regular batt insulation would have given me an R value of 12-13 for the walls, and even worse, about R22 in the ceilings….not good. Especially when you live up here Ice dams were the norm…as were high heating bills. Time to change that.

With the spray foam I ended up getting about R 7.5 per inch, which meant my walls ended up about R 22 and my ceiling? About R42! You just can’t hit those R values any other way….and the fact that it fills every void AND creates it’s own vapour barrier makes it even better.

The crew rolled in first thing in the morning, and proceeded to mask absolutely everything that wasn’t being foamed…..the doors, windows, beams….even the old fridge.

And then foam baffles were installed for added airflow up to the ridge vent. Now there is some debate in the spray foam world about whether venting is really required when you are dealing with the R value and sealing offered by foam. In my case, it was a matter of “Well, the ridge vent is there, why not use it?”.

Once all the baffles were run to the peak, they then proceeded to stuff the soffit area with batt insulation. This prevents the foam from going into the soffits, and when foamed over makes an air-tight and well insulated wall cap (a difficult area to insulate normally)

With the masking done, the soffits stuffed, and the pets and family relocated, it was time to spray!

The walls were done in a single pass, while the ceilings were done in two layers. By only going 3-4” or so thick in each pass, the foam cures faster (read: Instantly) and doesn’t generate as much heat. Speaking of heat: I was amazed at how much the temperature went up as a result of the foam curing…the walls were actually borderline hot to the touch.

Anyway, a bunch of “in process shots” of the spraying.

Walls:

Ceiling first pass:

*Continued.........
                      Last edited by Ryan Shervill; 09-14-2011, 12:01 PM.

Comment

.......Continued from previous page

Ceiling second pass

While the spraying was going on, another team member followed along behind removing any high spots that happened to project out beyond the face of the framing. Also called “scarfing”, there was very little that needed to be done (maybe 4-5 spots) but it sure makes it easier to drywall with the high spots removed.

With the scarfing done and the foam all sprayed, the floor was a mess:

Which they cleaned up immediately ;)

They pulled all the masking, swept every surface, and made sure the only purple in the house was where it belonged, and left me with a clean space (that just happened to look like Barney exploded in it)

In all seriousness, I would HIGHLY recommend this process for anyone who is looking at insulation. I mean…I literally went from a drafty, leaky, severely under-insulated cottage to an air-tight R22 and R42 + house in ONE DAY! The team was thorough and very professional, the work was done quickly and neatly, and apart from the purple in the wall cavities, there wasn’t a trace of them being there. I’m pretty picky when it comes to trades, but these guys rate 100% in my book.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention: The day after the foam was done, my air conditioning shut off….on a 35 degree afternoon….something that has NEVER happened in the 7 years that it has been in. I’m (almost) looking forward to winter now.

Thanks for looking everyone. Tomorrow it’s time to cover up all that purple with drywall….see you then
                        Last edited by Ryan Shervill; 09-14-2011, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Why drywall and paint? Stick with the purple, it's fashion forward.

Comment

Ryan - thanks for posting your new adventure - I enjoyed following your outdoor one as well. Really appreciate all the detail and your thoughts.
                            Nothing is ever as straightforward as it seems.

Glenn from Winnipeg

Comment

I'm planning on doing foam when I get to my basement renovation.

So the TV is caputz? What a bummer.
                              Kevin

Comment

I glad you brought Barney as I was going to
                                sigpic
                                Jerome
                                Canada's South Coast
                                Port Colborne On.
                                Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
                                Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                                X