No announcement yet.

Ryan Shervill's 2011 DIY renovation...."Maximum Makeover, the inside edition"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ryan Shervill's 2011 DIY renovation...."Maximum Makeover, the inside edition"

Re: Ryan Shervill's 2011 DIY renovation...."Maximum Makeover, the inside edition"

Originally posted by hawk223 View Post
    If your strictly interested in upfront costs and not operating costs then spray foam is a little more than 4 times DIY batting and vapor barrier.
    This is where the comaprison get's tricky....4X what? JUst playing devils advocate, but let's do an apples to apples comparison on my house.

I got around R26 in my 2x4 walls for X dollars, labour included.

Now....to match that I would have to pay to reframe my 2X4 walls out another 3", and buy enough R 13 batts to stack doubled up in the cavities, THEN I have to pay for vapor barrier.

I don't know what a contractor would charge me to re-frame, re trim the openings, install a double layer of R13 batt and vapor barrier....but I'm sure it wouldn't be anywhere near the 1/4 of the foam cost you mention

If your building new I don't think you can beat ICF. Without doing any real accurate figuring I'd say it's likely faster and cheaper to build and better in the end. For renos it's hard to beat spray foam.
    I agree. ICF's (Insulated Concrete Forms for ACR....kinda like hollow styrofoam lego's you fill with concrete) are the way to go for new construction.

I'm using batting because of the upfront cost. I also don't think spray foam will gain me as much since I've put the airtight liquid applied membrane on the outside.

For vapor transmission, no....but what about R value? There's a definite advantage there. Assuming 2X6 construction Spray Foam will yield you about R-40. Like in my example, doing that with batts is gonna be really tough.
    Last edited by Ryan Shervill; 09-14-2011, 07:33 PM.
    I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

My garage was just spray foamed and they used the 2lb foam but there is also the option of getting 10" of 0.5lb foam which gives about R42. My understanding is that many of the 2lb foams are actually a bit less than 2lb (Walltite included). I believe there is 5lb foam as well but typically only for commercial applications as you've stated.

Comment

4x what? Even with Roxul you can insulate a 2x6 wall and vapor barrier for around $1/sqft. Spray foam is about $1.25 or more per board foot or a square foot one inch thick. They usually only do 3" even in a 2x6 wall. You will likely be around $4+. If you have the money to do 2x6 then be my guest. They also charge a premium for rim joist spaces. I'm certainly not denying that spray foam is better in all ways except fire retardancy and it doesn't give off any gas that will kill you in a fire.

They had an article a couple months ago I think in fine homebuilding or something like that. They suggested using one inch of spray-foam and then cover with batts.

I am also putting 2" foam on the outside of my house (EIFS) so should be around R 32. I will admit this has a lot to do with cosmetics. I prefer the look of the smooth stucco and this is the only way that you don't see the waviness from the studs. I look at just about any house with Portland cement based stucco and if you look you can see what I'm talking about. I know Portland cement can be done right but there is a boom here now and not much is done perfect.

Comment

Just a quick note on spray foam. Typically all the joints on back to back studs are caulked with acoustiseal.

Comment

Just a quick note on spray foam. Typically all the joints on back to back studs are caulked with acoustiseal.
            Shhhh! That's in tomorrows entry!

Hey, I found the brochure for the spray foam....does anyone know how to post a PDF? Little help?
            I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Shervill View Post
              ....does anyone know how to post a PDF? Little help?
              Just upload it as you do a picture and insert inline. But I think you have to save the pdf somewhere on your PC first.
              Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Lost in the Woods View Post
                Just upload it as you do a picture and insert inline. But I think you have to save the pdf somewhere on your PC first.
                Walk me through it.....woodworker, not a 'puter guy

I have it saved to my desktop, but photobucket doesnt even "see" it when I go to upload.

Comment

With the spray foam I ended up getting about R 7.5 per inch

Ryan;

Job looks great. I sprayed my house reconstruction (after Tornado destruction in 1979) with foam as well, it was a yellowish color. I was happy with the performance. It did cost more than batts at the time but foam was faster. I moved to the city about 11 years ago from that location.

My question is, it appears in some of the photos that the foam was not filling the full wall cavity?? Why did You not fill the full cavity and get a full 26.25 R value (7.5x3.5=26.25) in the walls, as well as more in the ceiling where heat loss would be even greater.

Keep up the interesting posts......... It is fun watching someone else working.
                  Last edited by Doug in Woodstock; 09-14-2011, 09:06 PM.
                  Cheers............. Doug

"Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last that long."

Comment

The walls: They stop at 3 to 3 1/4" to minimize the amount of scarfing that needs to be done. I mean, they *could* go the full 3.5", but man....they's be there all day raking all the high spots off. I'm pretty sure the added labour costs would negate the added benefit of the extra 1/4" to 1/2" of foam.

The cielings: As it was explained to me, there comes a point of diminishing returns. The cavatites were filled about 3/4 of the way or so, but as it was explained the additional cost to go the extra 1.5 " would never really show enough of a benefit heat-loss wise to justify the added cost.

R

Comment

Can you just post the URL i.e. link from the web browser?

Spray foam R values that are touted are usually pre aged values. I believe after aging you end up loosing about R 1 per inch.

Actually I think that may apply to any foam product. It's still one heck of a product.

Comment

Can you just post the URL i.e. link from the web browser?

Spray foam R values that are touted are usually pre aged values. I believe after aging you end up loosing about R 1 per inch.

Actually I think that may apply to any foam product. It's still one heck of a product.
                        Unfortunately no....I have it on my desktop only. I wish I was better at the computer stuff sometimes :(

Re: R value loss: That could be....but compared to the 35 year old (poorly installed/previously dampened) R12 that was there? I'll take it. Even at -3 points

Comment

I have it saved to my desktop, but photobucket doesnt even "see" it when I go to upload.
                          If the pdf is not already in a known place on your computer that you can easily navigate to, save it to your desktop. You can change its name to save it, it doesn't matter.

Go to Advanced Post.

Click on Attachments (paper clip icon).

Click "Add Files" (top right area)

Click "Select Files" in small pop up window that came up.

A Windows window will now open titled "Select Files to Upload......" Go find the pdf file on your computer and select it. Window will close automatically, and now that pdf file will show up as an entry in the small pop-up window.

Click "Upload Files" at bottom of pop-window. (Note, if the file is too big, software will allow close to 2MB only, you'll get an asterix in a red circle beside the file name in the pop-up window, which if you hover your mouse over, it will say that "The file is too large". If this is the case, it will not allow you to upload that file). The file(s) should now appear at the bottom of the bigger overall Manage Attachments window in the Attachments Section.

From there, you can either click the "Insert Inline" button at the bottom right corner, which will now throw it after where you last had your cursor in the post window, or if you have more than one that you are inserting inline, you will find them scattered all over in non-sensical places in your post, which you will have to cut and paste to rectify as this software version of V-Bulletin is quirky dealing with attachments imo.

Alternately, instead of using the "insert inline" button, you can just click the "done" button which will close theManage Attachment window, or leave it open while you go back and work on the post as well, and use the "Paper Clip" above the post window to insert as all the files will now be listed there, but it requires you to know the name of the file you are looking at by name as there is no thumbnail photo that way.

Does this help!
                          Last edited by Lost in the Woods; 09-14-2011, 09:33 PM.
                          Kevin

Comment

Does this help!
                            Let's see.....

Insta Foam Folder Pages[1].pdf

Is it working for you?

Comment

Let's see.....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41095[/ATTACH]

Is it working for you?
                              Yep!
                              Kevin

Comment

Great! Thanks for the help

Off to bed, big day tomorrow.

R

Comment

Working...
                                X