No announcement yet.

Ryan Shervill's 2011 DIY renovation...."Maximum Makeover, the inside edition"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ryan Shervill's 2011 DIY renovation...."Maximum Makeover, the inside edition"

Their numbers just don't add up. How can you spray-foam the walls ceiling or roof and basement walls in a 3300 sqft bungalow for $10,000? It's probably a lot closer to 3 to 3.5 times that. There is so much dishonesty in marketing. It's like the demos at the trade shows showing air infiltration in an attic between spray foam and blown in with no vapor barrier.

I do think spray-foam is a great product I just like to point out BS when I see it.

Are you paying less that us Westerners?

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Re: Ryan Shervill's 2011 DIY renovation...."Maximum Makeover, the inside edition"

Yeah that $10K estimate doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Assuming a 1 floor home with full basement, the ceiling alone in a 3300 square foot house would be at least 1600 sq. ft. If you took that to R50 that'd take 6" or so of spray foam which brings it to 9600 bd. ft. I'd think that alone would cost $10K, not to mention the 5000 or so bd. ft. you'd need for the walls.

Spray foam is fantastic for retrofit situations like Ryan's. You simply couldn't get that kind of R rating any other way and when you factor in what it'd cost to alter the structure to get a similar rating through traditional methods the price is fair. I'm not sure I buy their numbers though when it comes to comparing similarly insulated homes. I just don't see how spray foam is going to cut heating costs by 80% if it's the same R value as fibreglass batting.

Comment

Spray foam shines above batt insulation because it prevents air infiltration. R values are not very meaningful.

Around here we don't count the basement (below grade) in the square footage so to me it means it's 6600 sqft with basement.

Comment

Getting ‘board’ with the reno

Wallboard, drywall, or gyproc….whatever you call it, help is a good idea.

Not being able to stomach the Barney-purple haze that was my living room, I couldn’t wait to get the drywall up! Just like every other job though, there’s always those last couple things you need to do to get ready.

My day started early insulating the wall between the kitchen and my youngest daughter’s room with Roxul batt insulation. Being as this kitchen will likely be the entertainment hub of the house, a little sound deadening between the two rooms will be great for when company comes to visit.

The last prep step was to deal with any cracks that were too small for the spray foam to fill. Areas such as the seams between doubled plates or king and jack studs can be a source of air (and heat) leakage, so they were all filled with a bead of acoustic caulk.

Drywall: Putting up drywall is one of those jobs that *can* be done solo, but trust me….if you can get some help, that’s the way to go.

You know what’s better than having a buddy that’s willing to help you board? Having a buddy that’s willing to help you board that just happens to own the best drywalling company in the area

My friend Jason, his brother Andre and their helper showed up, assessed the situation and the four of us started the day by carrying in the 2 million or so (OK, maybe not that many…but it seemed like it) sheets of drywall from the shop where they were stored and into the house, and then the screw guns started and the hammers came out.

Having pros helping out sure speeds up the process….. We went from this:

To this:

In less than one day! When I did my shop solo (similar layout, 14’ cathedral ceilings, 12’ sheets) it took me the better part of an entire week to do. Like I said, help is good.

I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Comment

.....continued

Of course, there are always jobs that you are going to end up doing yourself anyway….like the clean up

But hey, when you have someone that looks this pretty in a dust mask helping out, the clean up part doesn’t seem as bad

No rest for the wicked! The last step was to get the tape and the first coat of mud done…..with the cabinets en-route and the paint ordered, time is running short.

Next entry we finish up the drywall and get some paint on the walls. By the time that’s done we should have a kitchen to install! Thanks for looking,

Ryan
            I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Comment

Man, that was quick!

And no drywall jack used either. Bet your buddies have shoulder muscles hard like steel.
              Kevin

Comment

Hi Ryan,

Nice work!! Just a quick question...does your gas insert have a blower and if so how did you run the electrical line to it (drilled through brick, outside-inside through flue under mouldings) If not how would you do it?

Cheers,
                What was urgent was done yesterday, right now I'm working on the impossible...if you want a miracle give me 24 hours.

Comment

Looking good. I hate mudding. Hope you contracted that one out.

Just doing the public areas, or the bedrooms also?
                  It's not about you.

Comment

very interesting read - thanks for the thread Ryan... I always feel like I dont want photographic evidence of my reno process - especially posted online!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lost in the Woods View Post
                      Man, that was quick!

And no drywall jack used either. Bet your buddies have shoulder muscles hard like steel.
                      You wouldn't believe it..... I mean, I like to think I'm pretty good at drywall, and I've done a ton of it.... but working with these guys left me scrambling to catch up all day. At one point Jay say's to Andre "You got that (12'....on the cieling) sheet? I need to get some screws" and jumps off the scaffold leaving him holding it solo....So he holds the sheet up with one hand and his head and just casually starts driving screws. .
                      Originally posted by Jeffmacd View Post
                      Hi Ryan,

Nice work!! Just a quick question...does your gas insert have a blower and if so how did you run the electrical line to it (drilled through brick, outside-inside through flue under mouldings) If not how would you do it?

Cheers,
                      I pulled a fire brick out of the bottom and drilled down into the open area below the fireplace (in the basement) and punched a hole in the cinderblock. It's the same way we ran the gas line. The cool part is that since there is a 115V outlet in behind the fireplace now, I have a place to plug in the TV that's going up there

Originally posted by ArtMulder View Post
                      Looking good. I hate mudding. Hope you contracted that one out.

Just doing the public areas, or the bedrooms also?
                      I don't understand why pretty much everyone has an aversion to mudding....I find it kind of relaxing. The only part I don't particularily like is the inside corners...and the sanding....but they are both neccesary evils. We did everything but the Master and the bathroom to at least some extent. The master and bath were done a couple years ago, and the kids rooms just needed a partial reno. The rest was all gutted right down to studs and sheathing.

Originally posted by bighairdan View Post
                      very interesting read - thanks for the thread Ryan... I always feel like I dont want photographic evidence of my reno process - especially posted online!!!
                      "Photographic evidence"? LOL...you make DIY sound like a crime I kind of like it....everyone always gets to see the end result, but IMO these blogs are good because they show all the "behind the scenes" stuff and may raise or answer some questions for those contemplating taking on their own build. Taking the pictures can be a bit of a pain in the rear sometimes (esp. when I'm alone) but the hour or two a night I spend putting together the blog entries is my chance to unwind.

Ryan

Comment

Tell me about it. Did the drywall for a large part of my garage solo and it's pretty tough man-handling those sheets by yourself. I'm glad it's done.

Things look good. Keep it up, Ryan!

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Shervill View Post

I don't understand why pretty much everyone has an aversion to mudding....I find it kind of relaxing. The only part I don't particularily like is the inside corners...and the sanding....but they are both neccesary evils. We did everything but the Master and the bathroom to at least some extent. The master and bath were done a couple years ago, and the kids rooms just needed a partial reno. The rest was all gutted right down to studs and sheathing.
                          I'm perplexed by this, too. I actually quite like taping and mudding. Inside corners can be a pain and if I ever have to do large amounts of taping mudding in the future, I'm going to buy one of those corner taping knives and save time. Are you using CGCs dust control compound? It seems pretty good and makes sanding less annoying I find.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Shervill View Post
                            I don't understand why pretty much everyone has an aversion to mudding....I find it kind of relaxing.
                            Ryan, it's quite simple... DOING the mudding is not an issue. My lousy RESULTS are the issue. I have a really really hard time getting it flat and smooth. My perspective is that this is a skill that takes plenty of practise. But as a DIY'er, I don't really get that practise.
                            It's not about you.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtMulder View Post
                              Ryan, it's quite simple... DOING the mudding is not an issue. My lousy RESULTS are the issue. I have a really really hard time getting it flat and smooth. My perspective is that this is a skill that takes plenty of practise. But as a DIY'er, I don't really get that practise.
                              There's definitely a "feel" for it you develop/are born with....some people I know tape perfect joints their first time (my wife for example), but for some it takes considerably more work (like me)..

It's kind of like painting....I can not cut a straight line to save my life, and as a result painting is one of the few DIY jobs that I absolutely detest. And just like woodworking, life is too short to waste your time doing something you hate.

Short of roller work, all of my painting is either done by my wife or my in-laws (they enjoy it), or hired out.

R

Comment

Better get typing for the rest of the redo: I saw the finished kitchen pics in CHW on Friday.

Question: there is the steel beam running across the house to support the rafters - is that a second beam behind it on the kitchen side, or what is that?
                                Chad of all trades

Comment

Working...
                                X