No announcement yet.

Ryan Shervill's 2011 DIY renovation...."Maximum Makeover, the inside edition"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ryan Shervill's 2011 DIY renovation...."Maximum Makeover, the inside edition"

Re: Ryan Shervill's 2011 DIY renovation...."Maximum Makeover, the inside edition"

Originally posted by beachvillain View Post
    Better get typing for the rest of the redo: I saw the finished kitchen pics in CHW on Friday.

Question: there is the steel beam running across the house to support the rafters - is that a second beam behind it on the kitchen side, or what is that?
    Cat's out of the bag

I did the blog in real time, but had to hold back certain parts because of publication.....that cover shoot was kind of funny to do. The kitchen was 100% complete, but it was surrounded by bare plywood, construction materials, tools, etc.....I actually have some blog photos taken during the shoot, and will post them up closer to the end of the month. (The magazine hits news stands the 26th, so I'm waiting until then.) There is a lot of stuff on the kitchen I want to get into detail on, it should be informative.

re: beams: No steel, doug fir There are two of them, but the one looks like steel because it was painted.

R
    I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I’ll spare the bandwidth detailing the hours of final drywall prep….it’s not exactly interesting (nor something I’d particularly like to re-live ;) ) but after the final coat of mud (and of course….the sanding), we were ready for paint. We started our morning with the Lowe’s delivery truck at the end of the drive.

And they dropped of something kind of cool….this is the new “High Definition” paint from Valspar. This paint is both a primer and paint in one, and claims one coat coverage.

Now me being a skeptic, I decided to prime anyway….old habits and all that. Now it did give me the chance to test out this super-primer they make that they claim sticks to anything….and I can confirm: This primer sticks to pretty much everything. It rolls on kind of weird, with a very elastic texture….but boy does it ever prime a wall J

Anyway, we got set up:

And started the process

An interesting find: Before painting I was filling any imperfections in the wood posts and beams, and thanks to the polyfilla I noticed for the first time that someone had left their mark at some point :

And then when I got looking really closely at those initials, it jumped out at me: MAN that grain is tight! Obviously old-growth cedar, I’d never seen a ring count like this in softwood: 40-50 rings per inch!

So the primer was done:

And the paint (which, by the way, is everything they advertised it to be. It’s definitely thicker than I’m used to, but applied well and covered like I could not believe. I quite literally could have halved my paint order and I would have still had some left over.)

And that’s it. Tomorrow we are going to handle a *little* problem with the floors, and maybe get into installing some flooring you may not have seen yet ;)

Ryan
      I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Comment

Originally posted by beachvillain View Post
        Better get typing for the rest of the redo: I saw the finished kitchen pics in CHW on Friday.

Question: there is the steel beam running across the house to support the rafters - is that a second beam behind it on the kitchen side, or what is that?
        Originally posted by Ryan Shervill View Post
        Cat's out of the bag

I did the blog in real time, but had to hold back certain parts because of publication.....that cover shoot was kind of funny to do. The kitchen was 100% complete, but it was surrounded by bare plywood, construction materials, tools, etc.....I actually have some blog photos taken during the shoot, and will post them up closer to the end of the month. (The magazine hits news stands the 26th, so I'm waiting until then.) There is a lot of stuff on the kitchen I want to get into detail on, it should be informative.

re: beams: No steel, doug fir There are two of them, but the one looks like steel because it was painted.

R
        This kinda took the wind out of my sails. Or could you just clarify a little bit more about what was in fact real time, and what was not, or was it all mixed up? What is being posted that is real time?

I really enjoy a progressively developed project for the reason that we can all feedback what may be insights/advice/prudence as you share your project as you're working on it. But if its all a done deal.....like I said, what's our feedback worth?
        Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Lost in the Woods View Post
          This kinda took the wind out of my sails. Or could you just clarify a little bit more about what was in fact real time, and what was not, or was it all mixed up? What is being posted that is real time?

Kevin, I did/am doing this blog exactly the same as last years....do the work, write the blog and then post the pictures....the only difference is that everything up to/including the kitchen was held back rather than being posted immediately. This was neccessary, as CHW was featuring the kitchen and me publishing the images digitally before publication would be a conflict. So: I had a choice....I could blog everything in real time up to about the point the blog is at now and then just stop for several weeks while the stuff I couldn't show you was done and the magazine hit newstands, and then play catch up....*or* I could do it this way, delaying by a bit and then posting progress in order with regular updates, being able to show every step. I chose #2 as the intent of these blogs is to give people considering doing their own projects info and insight at a more detailed level than what is possible in the mags, and allow detailed discussion on any part of it....I think we are still accomplishing that. Whether it's a two day (like last years) or two week delay between work completion and posting, the info is the same.

So to answer your question: The kitchen is 100% done, nothing else is. As I mentioned ^^^, it was kind of funny shooting a fully finished and photo-ready space while surrounded by an anything-but-finished construction zone. In front of the camera: Shiny kitchen. Behind the camera: Dryall chunks, spools of wire, bare plywood, piles of tools

I really enjoy a progressively developed project for the reason that we can all feedback what may be insights/advice/prudence as you share your project as you're working on it. But if its all a done deal.....like I said, what's our feedback worth?
          I'm glad you enjoy them....that's why I do it. It's a bunch of work to do these blogs, but as long as people get something out of it it's worth it.

Your feedback and any resulting discussion is *just* as valuable now....why wouldn't it be? I mean, if someone says: "I wouldn't have done it that way, here's why", does it make a difference if it is two days or two weeks after the work is done? Honestly, I'd love to be able to do these and start every day with "This is what I'm planning to to today...how should I do it?", but there's just no way to make that work. The best that I can do is to just do the work, post the results (whether good or bad) and then we can discuss it . The resulting feedback/insights/opinions/alternative methods is what will be most valuable to people reading the threads. The spray foam part is a good example...there was a lot of good info/discussion on that, and anyone considering spraying that reads the thread now has a better idea of what's involved thanks to the contributors to the discussion. I know I certainly learned a couple of new facts through that discussion.

Anyway, I hope this clears things up a bit, and I certainly hope the discussion, input, and advice will continue as I post further progress. The next entry will be the flooring and then I can (finally) start talking about the kitchen and bring the blog back up to date and in real time.

Ryan

Comment

Ryan,
            I certainly find this blog, either in real time or on a slight delay to be both enjoyable and worthwhile. I actually come to the site every morning anxious to see if you've updated!

Keep it up, and btw, the job looks great!

Mark

Comment

I too, along with many others, enjoy reading this thread/blog. Wouldn't mind if this was posted a day or a week after it's actually done.
              Thanks for sharing it.
              Remember, we are here to share, learn, and enjoy. Relax.

Comment

This reminds me of something I just read in a book stumbling into happiness. This guy documented studies that showed that people are almost universally less happy watching a sports game when it has been taped and they are watching it after the fact than if they are watching it live -- even if they know absolutely nothing about the outcome and even if the tape delay is small. As long as they know that the game is a "done deal" then they are less happy watching it. As an explanation, the psychologists figure that the reason is that somewhere deep in our subconscious we actually think that we have a chance to influence the outcome of a live game; though that's silly to think about consciously, on a subconscious level somewhere down deep we really do think that if we cheer extra loud, wear our beard extra long, wear the same underwear again, or whatever, then we actually can influence the outcome of the game, and in having that little bit of power and control we find happiness. As soon as the game is a "done deal" then we loose that, and thus find less happiness in it.

It was an interesting read in any case, and interesting to see that phenomenon (apparently) apply to this blog.

Myself, I don't mind. I think these threads are among the most exciting we have here. Right up there with anything by Frank P.

Comment

I will still enjoy this thread despite the feeling like when I was still awake when my mom slipped a quarter under my pillow, and there was in fact no Tooth Ferry.

Keep em comin Ryan!
                  Kevin

Comment

I suspected a time warp shuffle when the first posts in August came out....and there were no leaves in the trees yet. Doesn't bother me a bit Ryan, I appreciate all the work it takes to document and post the renovation.

Keep up the excellent work! (And remember, for every one person who mentions it, twenty more are thinking it.)

Regards
                    John

Comment

• Re: Ryan Shervill's 2011 DIY renovation...."Maximum Makeover, the inside edition"

Awesome, that's great to hear

LOL...Close call! I was talking with Chantelle tonight and *almost* read Kevin's entire last post out loud....but stopped myself mid sentence....thank goodness. I briefly glanced up from the screen and found both Emily and Hailey standing there listening intently to what I was saying

Anyway, I do appreciate the feedback

Ryan

Comment

• Re: Ryan Shervill's 2011 DIY renovation...."Maximum Makeover, the inside edition"

The key with any added flooring layer is to make sure it’s attached firmly not only to the underlying joists, but also solidly anchored to the existing subfloor. For this task I took a bit of a “belt and suspenders” approach and used two types of fasteners: Flooring screws and 1” wide crown staples.

Why both? Well…the flooring screws take a while to drive, but I made sure to place them every 6” into the floor studs, and every 4” along seams….and that took a while.

The result? A rock solid joining job between the two flooring layers.
                        Last edited by Ryan Shervill; 09-20-2011, 09:31 PM.

Comment

....Continued

Now…that little “problem” I mentioned earlier…..Ladies and gentlemen, may I introduce “the Dip”.

There was a 1/2” dip in the floor, spanning about 28” from where the front of the stove/cabinets were to sit and the wall. This dip was never really an issue in the old kitchen because A: It was covered by cabinets, and B: Linoleum doesn’t really care how flat the floor is….it’ll stick to anything.

Anyway, this needed to be dealt with before moving on,

And check again for level:

The last step for the day was to call in some reinforcements to prep the low area for the next days step: Self leveling concrete (kind of a misnomer, but we’ll get into that tomorrow )

Chantelle began priming the floor

And then our resident Pro stepped I to show us how it’s done. My youngest daughter Hailey (3 yrs) showing her mom how it’s done

And flying solo:

And the end result, left to dry over night:

Tomorrow we’ll be at the self leveling concrete. Thanks for looking everyone.

Ryan
                          Last edited by Ryan Shervill; 09-20-2011, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Oh! Almost forgot....The "Tool of the day"

The tool of the day was most definitely these:

These are the Igel knee pads from IRWIN. I'm 18 years old in my head, but my body begs to differ sometimes....especially when it comes to my knees. I got these pads because they seemed to be soft (the gel), but also because the blocky profile looked like it would be super stable and resist rolling over...I wasn't dissapointed. The entire job felt like I was kneeling on a pillow, and the square profile was completely stable on the floor with zero tendency to want to roll over sideways. These are a solid buy.

Last edited by Ryan Shervill; 09-20-2011, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Good Morning Ryan
                              These guys think they have it bad waiting for the posts, I was there when you were doing the work.
                              About the knee pads dose the strap around the back cut off the circulation at all? the is the problem I have always had. what is an approx cost?
                              Jerome
                              Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
                              CARPENTER noun. (car-pun-ter)
                              ) A person who solves problems you can't.
                              2) One who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data, provided by those of questionable knowledge. see also: wizard, magician.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome View Post
                                Good Morning Ryan
                                These guys think they have it bad waiting for the posts, I was there when you were doing the work.
                                About the knee pads dose the strap around the back cut off the circulation at all? the is the problem I have always had. what is an approx cost?
                                So when do we get to see YOUR project Jerome?

The cost of the pads was around $50.00 IIRC. The pads have a neoprene strap that is pretty wide, so circulation wasn't bad, and when worn over jeans there was no problem at all. I pulled a pic off the 'net showing the straps:

4033006_sm.jpg
                                C

Comment

Working...
                                X