No announcement yet.

Ryan Shervill's 2011 DIY renovation...."Maximum Makeover, the inside edition"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ryan Shervill's 2011 DIY renovation...."Maximum Makeover, the inside edition"

Re: Ryan Shervill's 2011 DIY renovation...."Maximum Makeover, the inside edition"

The truth is that by the time I factored in the cost of materials and my time, it was actually a better deal to have Kraftmaid build the cabinets for me. The clincher? They build cabinets pretty much the way I would

More tomorrow,

Ryan
    I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

• Re: Ryan Shervill's 2011 DIY renovation...."Maximum Makeover, the inside edition"

Re: Ryan Shervill's 2011 DIY renovation...."Maximum Makeover, the inside edition"

Armstrong used to recommend S-1800, for years, as the sealant in kitchens/entries/baths. It was discontinued in Canada, and possibly worldwide, last year. I'm not familiar with the product you're using and would appreciate some further details.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin H View Post
        Armstrong used to recommend S-1800, for years, as the sealant in kitchens/entries/baths. It was discontinued in Canada, and possibly worldwide, last year. I'm not familiar with the product you're using and would appreciate some further details.
        You are correct....the s-1800 was pretty much impossible to find....I wonder why? Fortunately theres other options though. Lowe's had the Precision Components line and they make laminate glue. I did some digging and the glue they manufacture is perfect for this application. Here's the bottle:

Last edited by Ryan Shervill; 10-06-2011, 05:50 AM.
        I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Comment

The install

I mounted the laser on an old camera tripod and set it to the correct height

I then went around the kitchen and marked the level line on the wall with pencil

Comment

Continued:

Now because I am working alone, I needed to install a wall cleat for the cabinets to sit on as I installed them. The cleats take most of the weight and hold everything level while screwing the cabinets to the wall. I used straight 1X strapping and pin nailed it in place, driving a couple of 23 gauge pins per stud. The pins were strong enough to take the weight of a cabinet, and the tiny holes left after the cleat is removed are easily filled with paint….no wall repairs required

Then the included screws are removed from the back of the cabinet where they are stapled

The doors are removed from the cabinets to make things lighter (one screw per hinge) and they are lifted into position on the rail and the screws driven through the holes and into the studs, shimming them as required to make sure they hank perfectly plumb. You can see a cedar shim sticking out of the top of one of the cabinets a few pics down.

Finally, the adjoining cabinets are clamped together, and a hole is drilled and countersunk at the top and bottom of the stiles and the two cabinets are screwed together with the included screws. Continue around the kitchen until all of the uppers are in place.

Next entry we are going to take a look at the new Frigidaire appliances, installing base cabinets, and a couple of tricks you can use to make your stand alone fridge look like a built-in.

Thanks for stopping by!

Ryan
            Last edited by Ryan Shervill; 10-07-2011, 05:37 AM.

Comment

Any updates? it's been over a week now...
              Remember, we are here to share, learn, and enjoy. Relax.

Comment

I do apologize....since that storm last week our Internet hub has been BRUTAL. I haven't managed to get an upload complete before it drops and then reconnects, losing everything. It is *supposed* to be fixed today, then I can resume, otherwise this weekend I'll drive into town and post from the library.

Sorry about the breaks :(

Ryan

Comment

No reason to apologize Ryan, you don't owe anything to anybody about this. It's just that we've been following this interesting thread (like an interesting TV series).
                  Remember, we are here to share, learn, and enjoy. Relax.

Comment

I for one really appreciate this thread, as it includes all kinds of details and pictures that there are no room for in a 6 page magazine article.
                    Chad of all trades

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Shervill View Post
                      I do apologize....since that storm last week our Internet hub has been BRUTAL. I haven't managed to get an upload complete before it drops and then reconnects, losing everything. It is *supposed* to be fixed today, then I can resume, otherwise this weekend I'll drive into town and post from the library.

Sorry about the breaks :(

Ryan
                      Well Ryan, have You forgot about this project, or did I miss it. I would imagine Your ip service has been repaired by now........

Looking for further updates.
                      Cheers............. Doug

"Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last that long."

Comment

IP service repaired? Unfortunately, no :(

For some reason ever since a large storm rolled through our internet (we are on a 3G hub) has been losing the signal every 30 seconds or so. I've had the hub replaced, still doing it....so it has to be on the tower end. Still posting from my iphone. I have all the pics ready to upload, but there's about 100 to do and doing it through my phone would use a huge amount of data and cost a rediculous amount of money. I want to get the next posts up as much as you guys want to see them, believe me.

I'm going to try an antenna this weekend and see if that makes any difference with the signal integrity.

Comment

All of our cell service seems to suck more than usual so you might just hold off on buying more equipment.
                          Jerome
                          Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
                          Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become whiskey.......but didn't....

Comment

Hello Ryan;

Time for an update.........it's been 2.5 months since that storm caused You to loose Your "usable" IP Service.
                            Surely by now they have managed to find the damage caused by the storm.....and have repaired it.

Waiting for the conclusion of Your kitchen project, or did I miss the last episode?......... Maybe You could upload a few photos of the story, per day, as you have with other topics You have been able to post into.
                            Cheers............. Doug

"Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last that long."

Comment

Nope. Still screwy internet.....closest to an explanation Ive recieved is that it has something to do with an "upgrade" to 4G networks at the tower. All I know is I went from decent (if not super fast) internet to the connection failing every 15 minutes.

Any pics you've seen me upload in the last two months have been taken with my Iphone through the photobucket app....pics on my PC are still not loading without stoppin mid-upload. I like you guys, but the thought of spending 6 hours with multiple disconnects to upload 4-5 pics (with a couple hundred more on tap) makes me shudder.

I'm working on pulling all the pics, formatting them into a full blog entry, installing oin my laptop and putting them on the net at the library.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Shervill View Post
                                Nope. Still screwy internet.....closest to an explanation Ive recieved is that it has something to do with an "upgrade" to 4G networks at the tower. All I know is I went from decent (if not super fast) internet to the connection failing every 15 minutes.

Any pics you've seen me upload in the last two months have been taken with my Iphone through the photobucket app....pics on my PC are still not loading without stoppin mid-upload. I like you guys, but the thought of spending 6 hours with multiple disconnects to upload 4-5 pics (with a couple hundred more on tap) makes me shudder.

I'm working on pulling all the pics, formatting them into a full blog entry, installing oin my laptop and putting them on the net at the library.
                                Since you're updating and just a coincidence <sp>...

Just picked up some of that glue yesterday. I will let you know what my installers, and I, think of it (whether you care, or not). I bought all that Lowes had in stock.

I've been using Mannington Mega-Glue as a substitution for the Armstrong S-1800. It works great but its shelf life is non-existant.

Any PVA will work, and is accepted by most manufactures, but products like S-1800 and Mega-Glue will can be easily scratched off when cured. A standard PVA can't. Every once in a while there is an oops and a product that can be easily removed the next day is preferred.

Have fun at the library.

Comment

Working...
                                X