Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kevin H
    replied
    Re: Ryan Shervill's 2011 DIY renovation...."Maximum Makeover, the inside edition"

Originally posted by John in Calgary View Post
    Any updates?

Question about the wet area laminates from armstrong - do they come in hardwood flavours too? We're looking at removing the Lino in our tent trailer this spring (it was curling in the corners right from the start), and the wife figured it would look great with hardwood laminate instead.

Any thoughts on how to start my install in a trailer? I was thinking about nailing and gluing down the first strip at the door, then letting the rest float into the trailer, but I haven't figured out how to do the transition at the door yet. Then, I would use a quarter round moulding around the inside to hide the expansion gap.

Last question, how does the cost of this stuff compare to regular laminate? Can you give me a rough idea of cost per square foot.

Thanks, John
    Replies in red...

Question about the wet area laminates from armstrong - do they come in hardwood flavours too? Yes, but there but there is no such thing as "wet area laminates from Armstrong". We're looking at removing the Lino in our tent trailer this spring (it was curling in the corners right from the start), and the wife figured it would look great with hardwood laminate instead. The curling is due to the fact that the vinyl is a 'felt-back'. It requires 1/4 round, shoe mould or silicone to keep it from curling. Vinyl shrinks, paper (felt) does not. This results in the edge curling. Fiberglass type vinyls, like Armstrong's Cushionstep, take care of this problem.

Any thoughts on how to start my install in a trailer? I was thinking about nailing and gluing down the first strip at the door, then letting the rest float into the trailer, but I haven't figured out how to do the transition at the door yet. Then, I would use a quarter round moulding around the inside to hide the expansion gap. This could work in a smaller area. Compensate by enlarging the expansion gap on the opposite side. Don't pinch the laminate with the quarter round. Forget about warranty in a trailer (no climate control).

Last question, how does the cost of this stuff compare to regular laminate? Can you give me a rough idea of cost per square foot.

Thanks, John

Leave a comment:

• John in Calgary
    replied
    Re: Ryan Shervill's 2011 DIY renovation...."Maximum Makeover, the inside edition"

Any updates?

Originally posted by Ryan Shervill View Post
    ....We chose to use a new Laminate by Armstrong floors that is not only realistic looking and easy to install, but is approved (including warranty) for use in wet locations….even in bathrooms. Now there are a few differences when it comes to installing this laminate for wet locations, but nothing too difficult. For my kitchen I chose to use the install technique for bathroom use, just to get a little added protection from spills. This is what I’ll show you....
    Question about the wet area laminates from armstrong - do they come in hardwood flavours too? We're looking at removing the Lino in our tent trailer this spring (it was curling in the corners right from the start), and the wife figured it would look great with hardwood laminate instead.

Any thoughts on how to start my install in a trailer? I was thinking about nailing and gluing down the first strip at the door, then letting the rest float into the trailer, but I haven't figured out how to do the transition at the door yet. Then, I would use a quarter round moulding around the inside to hide the expansion gap.

Thanks, John

Leave a comment:

• ArtMulder
    replied

... satellite is out due to our being in a valley, etc.
    Ryan, my co-worker had 2 years (3?) of satellite internet and hated it. He got nailed by bandwidth limits all the time (has adult kids at home) -- you hit the limit and they just lock you down to slower than dial-up speeds. Speed of light (from dish to satellite and back) is also an issue.
    I forget if uploads also had a problem. Like most home internet, the satellite is biased towards downloads not uploads.

Leave a comment:

• Greg from K/W
    replied

Ya but there are all the little things that fly around in the spring. Um Black Flies? Deer flies? And the worst Snow Flies. LMAO

Leave a comment:

• Ryan Shervill
    replied

Originally posted by tex101 View Post
    Maybe you should move to area and have fibre to the home. VERY fast internet.
    This is what I saw off my front porch last week

I think I'll stay put

Leave a comment:

• tex101
    replied

Maybe you should move to area and have fibre to the home. VERY fast internet.

Leave a comment:

• Ryan Shervill
    replied

Originally posted by Greg from K/W View Post
    I would be getting on the horn and staying on it till I got to a senior supervisor. Explain to him or her your position and the need for reliable steady and stable Internet service. I would be expecting a few free months of service from them if I where you Ryan. This is ridiculous.
    Believe me, I know....but I'm kind of between a rock and a hard place here. The *only* option I have is telus/bell towers.....Roger's wont work (no signal), satellite is out due to our being in a valley, etc.

Up until last year we were stuck with 28k dial up (picture writing magazine articles for a living and trying to send photo's, PDF's, edits, etc over dial up...every day)

What we have now is fast, no doubt....regular posting, downloads, etc are not a problem....the ssue comes with trying to upload, especially photos. It's almost like the connection "blips" for a microsecond every so often...not even noticible except it results in a "failed upload, retry" on two out of three pics. It takes over an hour or so to do those blog entries every day when it *works*.....I just can't spend 4 hours or more each and every day to accomplish the same thing.

I'm still on them though....and will continue to be.

Leave a comment:

• Greg from K/W
    replied

I would be getting on the horn and staying on it till I got to a senior supervisor. Explain to him or her your position and the need for reliable steady and stable Internet service. I would be expecting a few free months of service from them if I where you Ryan. This is ridiculous.

Leave a comment:

• Jerome
    replied

Ryan you are always welcome to drop down and use my connection

Leave a comment:

• Kevin H
    replied

Nope. Still screwy internet.....closest to an explanation Ive recieved is that it has something to do with an "upgrade" to 4G networks at the tower. All I know is I went from decent (if not super fast) internet to the connection failing every 15 minutes.

Any pics you've seen me upload in the last two months have been taken with my Iphone through the photobucket app....pics on my PC are still not loading without stoppin mid-upload. I like you guys, but the thought of spending 6 hours with multiple disconnects to upload 4-5 pics (with a couple hundred more on tap) makes me shudder.

I'm working on pulling all the pics, formatting them into a full blog entry, installing oin my laptop and putting them on the net at the library.
    Since you're updating and just a coincidence <sp>...

Just picked up some of that glue yesterday. I will let you know what my installers, and I, think of it (whether you care, or not). I bought all that Lowes had in stock.

I've been using Mannington Mega-Glue as a substitution for the Armstrong S-1800. It works great but its shelf life is non-existant.

Any PVA will work, and is accepted by most manufactures, but products like S-1800 and Mega-Glue will can be easily scratched off when cured. A standard PVA can't. Every once in a while there is an oops and a product that can be easily removed the next day is preferred.

Have fun at the library.

Leave a comment:

• Ryan Shervill
    replied
    Re: Ryan Shervill's 2011 DIY renovation....&quot;Maximum Makeover, the inside edition&quot;

Nope. Still screwy internet.....closest to an explanation Ive recieved is that it has something to do with an "upgrade" to 4G networks at the tower. All I know is I went from decent (if not super fast) internet to the connection failing every 15 minutes.

Any pics you've seen me upload in the last two months have been taken with my Iphone through the photobucket app....pics on my PC are still not loading without stoppin mid-upload. I like you guys, but the thought of spending 6 hours with multiple disconnects to upload 4-5 pics (with a couple hundred more on tap) makes me shudder.

I'm working on pulling all the pics, formatting them into a full blog entry, installing oin my laptop and putting them on the net at the library.

Leave a comment:

• Doug in Woodstock
    replied
    Re: Ryan Shervill's 2011 DIY renovation....&quot;Maximum Makeover, the inside edition&quot;

Hello Ryan;

Time for an update.........it's been 2.5 months since that storm caused You to loose Your "usable" IP Service.
    Surely by now they have managed to find the damage caused by the storm.....and have repaired it.

Waiting for the conclusion of Your kitchen project, or did I miss the last episode?......... Maybe You could upload a few photos of the story, per day, as you have with other topics You have been able to post into.

Leave a comment:

• Jerome
    replied

All of our cell service seems to suck more than usual so you might just hold off on buying more equipment.

Leave a comment:

• Ryan Shervill
    replied

IP service repaired? Unfortunately, no :(

For some reason ever since a large storm rolled through our internet (we are on a 3G hub) has been losing the signal every 30 seconds or so. I've had the hub replaced, still doing it....so it has to be on the tower end. Still posting from my iphone. I have all the pics ready to upload, but there's about 100 to do and doing it through my phone would use a huge amount of data and cost a rediculous amount of money. I want to get the next posts up as much as you guys want to see them, believe me.

I'm going to try an antenna this weekend and see if that makes any difference with the signal integrity.

Leave a comment:

• Doug in Woodstock
    replied

I do apologize....since that storm last week our Internet hub has been BRUTAL. I haven't managed to get an upload complete before it drops and then reconnects, losing everything. It is *supposed* to be fixed today, then I can resume, otherwise this weekend I'll drive into town and post from the library.

Sorry about the breaks :(

Ryan
    Well Ryan, have You forgot about this project, or did I miss it. I would imagine Your ip service has been repaired by now........

Looking for further updates.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X