Ontario Building Code SB-12 INSULATION REQUIREMENT INCREASES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ontario Building Code SB-12 INSULATION REQUIREMENT INCREASES

Supplementary Standard SB-12 just came into effect Jan 1. It refers to the "Energy Efficiency of Housing"
    http://www.mah.gov.on.ca/Asset9372.aspx?method=1

quick summary from what I've skimmed over......

Zone 1: New Construction with heating equipment AFUE > or = to 90%
    ceiling with attic: R50 (was R40)
    ceiling without attic: R31 (was R28)
    walls above grade: R24 (was R19)
    basement walls: R20 (was R12)
    below grade slab: 0

Zone 1: New construction with heating equipment AFUE 78% - 90%
    walls above grade: R29 (was R19)

Zone 1: New construction with electric space heating equipment

Zone 2: New Construction with heating equipment AFUE > or = to 90%
    below grade slab: R5

Zone 2: New construction with heating equipment AFUE 78% - 90%

Zone 2: New construction with electric space heating equipment

In my case, doing renovations and additions, I'm concerned with Table 2.1.1.10. which follows the same values as the Zone 1 90%+ table
    walls above grade: R24 (was R19)
    below grade slab > 600mm below grade: 0

electric space heating bumps the walls to R31

So, now we need to figure out the most effective use of materials to get to R24 in the exterior walls. I'm figuring that 2x6 with R20 + 1" R5 insulated sheathing will be cheaper than 2x4 with sprayed urethane R7 per inch = R24.5, but will need to be analyzed.

Thoughts?
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Ontario Building Code SB-12 INSULATION REQUIREMENT INCREASES

So, now we need to figure out the most effective use of materials to get to R24 in the exterior walls. I'm figuring that 2x6 with R20 + 1" R5 insulated sheathing will be cheaper than 2x4 with sprayed urethane R7 per inch = R24.5, but will need to be analyzed.
    You'll need to do a C/B analisys for sure....but while you are at it, I'd wonder what the difference would be if rather than adding 1" foam you face strapped your 2X6 with 2x2 and stuck with batt

The way things are going, next round they are going to mandate 2X10 walls and full-depth spray foam......
    I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Comment

The key here is thermal bridging. You're better off with even a small layer of foam rather than filling the space with foam. With my place I reinsulated the whole house this summer. Existing 2x4 walls got r14 roxul and an 1" foam on the face, new walls are r 22 roxul (there so much glass that putting a foam layer was a waste), and the ceiling about r 60 blown total r 40 on top of the existing r 20, basement walls r 22 roxul. . Catherdal ceiling is r44 + 1.5" foam + radiant foil barrier. I hate fiberglass, it's junk imo. This is by far the warmest most comfortable home i've ever lived in and worth the time and effort and money.
      Last edited by OttawaP; 01-06-2012, 02:39 PM.
      Paul

Comment

Wowee. Will the people with recently-built cookie-cutter houses on Holmes on Homes still all have freezing-cold rooms above their garages years from now?

I'm guessing - yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris B. View Post
          Wowee. Will the people with recently-built cookie-cutter houses on Holmes on Homes still all have freezing-cold rooms above their garages years from now?

I'm guessing - yes.
          Well yeah! Cause they're gonna open the windows to clear the humidity...
          ---
          Will

“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.” —- Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by willr View Post
            Well yeah! Cause they're gonna open the windows to clear the humidity...

HRV (Heat Recovery Ventilation). I helped a friend with a new house install an HRV. Works great and he turns it up when friends with allergies to cats come over and their allergies don't bother them because of the HRV.

Originally posted by Ryan Shervill View Post
            The way things are going, next round they are going to mandate 2X10 walls and full-depth spray foam......
            SIP (Structural Insulated Panels). http://www.thermapan.com/index.html

When we build house it will be with SIPs.
            Last edited by Bobcdn; 01-07-2012, 10:13 AM.
            Don't trust everything you see on Holmes on Homes;
            http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com...lems-with-them

Comment

Originally posted by Bobcdn View Post
              HRV= Heat Recovery Ventilation. I helped a friend with a new house install an HRV. Works great and he turns it up when friends with allergies to cats come over and their allergies don't bother them because of the HRV.
              Oooh, oooh, oooh, do you have a model number, manufacturer and rough costs, along with some details on house size and type - I've been thinking about adding one myself to see if it helps with my Calgary migraines (I'm convinced they are wind related, and likely due to dust) and wouldn't mind trying to understand the costs and whether I can DIY.

Thanks,

John
              Shut up, wretched cricket of doom...

Comment

HRV (Heat Recovery Ventilation). I helped a friend with a new house install an HRV. Works great and he turns it up when friends with allergies to cats come over and their allergies don't bother them because of the HRV.
                Yea.. I got one of those professionally installed and it doesn't work a damn. Why.. because most of the installers don't know a thing about them. It's installed correctly, but the air flow controller is the wrong one. Mine has 2 speeds. Low and high. It will never kick into high as that is controller by the humidity. the controller works in 10% increments. You try in ontario to get a 10% variance in winter. So it stays on the trickle low. What you need is a controler that will force it to high for 10-15min ever hour. That way the air gets exchanged without it running full time on high, or full time on the trickle low.

that controller costs an additional $250 and I am ticked off that they wont give me any trade in value for the controller that was just installed.
                Matt

People are like a box of chocolates. It's hard to tell initially which ones are nuts.

Comment

Start another thread for HRV discussion guys. It will keep this thread about insulation values ok? I am glad to see the code increased. Builders will have to make sure that they increase the values in the walls and ceiling efficiently. This is great news for new home buyers. It will make the heating and cooling a lot cheaper. I just wish that they would decrease the lumber spans now too. It would make homes more durable.
                  https://www.facebook.com/gregsreinventions2016/

Comment

Greg I can understand your thinking but let me play the devils advocate. It all sounds great but in the end the homeowner may have to save another year to pay for the increases. Can the industry afford to wait a year to build that house. Many span changes have been overcome by the use of man made timber beams like glulams and LVL types. If you changed centers from 16 to 12 inch it would add structure but also a lot of cost and make it tougher to add the insulation you want for more efficiency. In actual fact if you built a house using 24 inch centers and put a vertical piece under every roof rafter tail and lined up the verticals all the way to the foundation using 2x6 stud material you would have a pretty strong house.

Energy efficiency comes at a huge cost and the break even is tough to calculate. I am not an expert mathamatician but figure what $5,000.00 costs for 25 years on a mortgage. It wont be cheap.
                    "Do it Right!"

Comment

Since 2x6 construction with 2' centers I've always layed our so that everything is lined up from the foundation to the truss. And with raised heals on the truss there's plenty of insul. Beam and floor joist spans are very adequate by todays standards. The majority of structural strength is after the drywall is installed. Todays homes properly built and insulated consciously with properly sized forced air heating systems are comfortable and reasonable to heat. I'm not saying a little more insulation will not improve things but that should be the customers choice imo.

Bill R

Comment

Exactly Bill. Thanks for that. I could not agree more.
                        "Do it Right!"

Comment

Originally posted by Greg from K/W View Post
                          Start another thread for HRV discussion guys.
                          Oops, sorry, will do - my every decreasing attention span means that I usually end up interrupting conversations to ask questions as they occur to me.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread...

John
                          Shut up, wretched cricket of doom...

Comment

I don't know if this is a tip or not but what I would do on every home I built was check the roof early in the morning after a heavy frost. If there's a flaw anywhere in the insulation it will show up. This saved me crawling up and disturbing the insul. and getting itchy and hopefully if you must wait till fall the int. company hasn't gone broke.

Bill R

Comment

SIP (Structural Insulated Panels). http://www.thermapan.com/index.html

When we build house it will be with SIPs.
                              SIP looks good, but im leaning towards ICF for my next place. Will ICF meet the new R value specs?

Comment

Working...
                              X