Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which hinge sizes, brands and sources for solid core interior doors?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which hinge sizes, brands and sources for solid core interior doors?

Re: How to to mortise a bevelled hinge door edge?

If your frame is not made yet then just run them through the TS and make the edge square, or use a straight edge and Circular saw and do it. a little sanding or planing and the edge will be perfect.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

TS? Do you mean a Festool TS55 or 75? (And I am only thinking this because I was just at Lee Valley here in Toronto and they just started carrying the line and I saw them there and remember the model numbers started with those letters). If so, I do not have one. And, even if I did, these are very expensive solid core sapele mahogany veneered doors and I really don`t trust myself to have the skill to saw them perfectly and worry that they might end up not perfectly square. Also, with a straight edge and circular saw I am sure the veneer would end up chipped along the edge. If they were less expensive paint grade doors I would try to trim them so the hinge edge was square.
      Last edited by Torontoeon; 07-27-2012, 08:09 PM.

Comment

I think I found the answer in the video below. This guy made an adjustable jig to mortise different sized hinges in doors of different thicknesses, albeit his is for doors where there is no bevel on the hinge side, ie his jig profile is a U with all sides perpendicular. I would have the bottom of the U at a slight angle to reflect the angle of the bevel on my door edges. I don`t have to make mine adjustable for hinge size as all my hinges are the same size. What I do want is to be able to adjust is the back fence. ie the one leg of the U which you can see in the video that he is able to slide back and forward in order to clamp it on tightly to the door with removable clamps. This is much better than making it the exact thickness of the door which would mean it would be a very tight fit and possible mar the veneered surface as it was slid on and off. And of course it has to be secured very tight to the door or the jig will move when the router is used. I will also make 3 different spacers in the shape of an L to place against the top and bottom edges of the door (with the long side running along the door face) which I would then slide the jig against so that the spacing of the 3 hinges would be exactly the same on each door. This would eliminate the need to use a measuring tape and mark the location each time.

What I need to find to make the sliding back fence like he did are those rails that he has installed into grooves in the wood and those knobs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYReLwLucLE

EDIT: I have been able to find all the items I need to make this jig at Lee Valley. In case anyone else wants to make such a jig I have posted the items I ordered below. I will post a picture of the jig once I have made it (and successfully used it!). (btw, only should have ordered 2 or 4 wingknobs, not 10 - didn`t realize they came in packages of 2).

2012-07-27 22.04.23.jpg
        Last edited by Torontoeon; 07-27-2012, 10:09 PM.

Comment

I meant Table Saw or a circular saw. To use a circular saw without chipping you just use a 1/8" or 1/4" piece of ply on top of the cut and under your saw and cut both the door and the ply at the same time. It's just like a zero clearance insert. You're making a big job for nothing to gain. You only have to trim 1/8" from your door to make it right -- the way it's supposed to be.

Comment

Well I have to make a jig anyway so that's not any extra work, but cutting the doors is, for me anyway. A table saw is out of the question as these are heavy 8' long doors and I am doing them myself. I also don't trust myself to get the doors perfectly square with a circular saw. I appreciate the tip on how to avoid chipping. Thanks.

Most importantly, though, these doors are veneered on the bevelled edges the same as on the face so I would lose that veneer and the edge would no longer match the face as the wood underneath is not sapele mahogany. I know it's just the hinged edge where the sapele veneer would be removed, which you only see when you open the door, but still. Next time I order doors I will make sure the hinged side is not bevelled by informing the manufacturer which doors are left-handed and which doors are right-handed. They didn't ask and just bevelled both edges and I didn't know anything about doors at that time and so I didn't know to specify. One would think, though, that a high-end custom door manufacturer would at least ask what edges I wanted beveled if nothing was specified by me.

I take it that I need to predrill into the mahogany jambs and the door for the hinges?
            Last edited by Torontoeon; 07-28-2012, 12:37 PM.

Comment

You're beginning to really worry me! Is anyone with some experience going to help you?

It sounds like you have a lot of money invested in this project and you could blow it real easy.

At the very least I would do two things. First, get one of these; http://www.amazon.ca/Bosch-83038-Del.../dp/B0000224KW it doesn't have to be a Bosch. There are others. Second go and buy a cheap door and jamb and practice hanging it so you understand how it all works.

That jig you show in the video is way over the hill. I have the Bosch jig and use it for big jobs but if you saw what I use for one or two doors the simplicity might cause you to faint.

As for the bevel edge, obviously cutting it flat is not an option. [BTW, a picture of what your jambs and doors look like would have helped everyone.] Make a small sample door and jamb with the same bevel and fit the hinge to it and see how it works for you. A bevel on the hinge side is not optimum but it is not a deal breaker. As long as the door stop will cover the gap created by the bevel it's doable. Hell, you could even set your jamb on the same bevel angle if you had the skill to do it.
              "Do it Right!"

Comment

Originally posted by Torontoeon View Post
                Well I have to make a jig anyway so that's not any extra work, but cutting the doors is, for me anyway. A table saw is out of the question as these are heavy 8' long doors and I am doing them myself. I also don't trust myself to get the doors perfectly square with a circular saw. I appreciate the tip on how to avoid chipping. Thanks.

Most importantly, though, these doors are veneered on the bevelled edges the same as on the face so I would lose that veneer and the edge would no longer match the face as the wood underneath is not sapele mahogany. I know it's just the hinged edge where the sapele veneer would be removed, which you only see when you open the door, but still. Next time I order doors I will make sure the hinged side is not bevelled by informing the manufacturer which doors are left-handed and which doors are right-handed. They didn't ask and just bevelled both edges and I didn't know anything about doors at that time and so I didn't know to specify. One would think, though, that a high-end custom door manufacturer would at least ask what edges I wanted beveled if nothing was specified by me.

I take it that I need to predrill into the mahogany jambs and the door for the hinges?
                I think if you check your edges looking from the top -- you will find that they are at least 1/4" -3/8" thick as that's how they make them when they use veneer. I just finished doing 4 vertical grain fir veneered doors and put the bevel on and hinged them and never went through the veneer. FWIW JMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                  You're beginning to really worry me! Is anyone with some experience going to help you?

It sounds like you have a lot of money invested in this project and you could blow it real easy.

At the very least I would do two things. First, get one of these; http://www.amazon.ca/Bosch-83038-Del.../dp/B0000224KW it doesn't have to be a Bosch. There are others. Second go and buy a cheap door and jamb and practice hanging it so you understand how it all works.

That jig you show in the video is way over the hill. I have the Bosch jig and use it for big jobs but if you saw what I use for one or two doors the simplicity might cause you to faint.

As for the bevel edge, obviously cutting it flat is not an option. [BTW, a picture of what your jambs and doors look like would have helped everyone.] Make a small sample door and jamb with the same bevel and fit the hinge to it and see how it works for you. A bevel on the hinge side is not optimum but it is not a deal breaker. As long as the door stop will cover the gap created by the bevel it's doable. Hell, you could even set your jamb on the same bevel angle if you had the skill to do it.
                  I am doing it by myself and maybe I am naive, but I am not worried. I would if I hadn't posted on here and gotten all this great advice, though. I've read about the Bosch jig and the Porter Cable one and others. None seem to work on bevelled doors though or am I mistaken? It seems to me I would end up with the face of the hinge at the pin side being flush with the edge and the other side being recessed into the edge (not to mention the fact that commercially available jigs only seem to be available online in Toronto and I need to start today as I have guests coming who want a door on their bedroom! - how picky, lol).

Of course I do not need a jig as adjustable as the one in the video, but it did help me in understanding how to make one out of wood. I am just about to make a 'U'-shaped jig where the bottom part of the U is at the same angle as the bevel on the edge of the door and one leg of the U is adjustable so I can clamp it tight over the door so it doesn't move (maybe with some felt so there is no chance of marking the door). If it was not adjustable and I made it 1/32" wider than the door thickness maybe the flex in the wood on the jig would allow me to clamp it. But since I have the slider and knobs already I'll do it the way I originally intended.

I am curious, though, other than the fact that making the hinge mortise is a bit more of a pain in a bevelled edge why else is it not optimum? Would not the door operated the same way regardless? The bevel appears to be 1/8" wide and that plus another 1/16" or 1/8" gap on the hinge side would easily be covered by the 5/8" door stop material. What concern am I missing?

Here are pics of the bevelled edge of the doors and of the jamb material. I didn't realize it would help to post them as they're pretty basic - 1-3/4" thick with a bevel of about 1/8" on each side with the jamb material being 7/8" thick by 4-5/8" wide. You can see in the picture that there is some type of solid wood edge material varying in thickness from one side to the other from 1/2" on one side of the bevel to 5/8" on the other side. I find it hard to tell if that thick edge material is sapele mahogany or not and how much veneer is on it. If it is sapele mahogany then maybe there is no veneer on it. Wally in Calgary may be right that I may not go through the veneer material on the edge and if there isn't any and it is sapele, then it doesn't matter as I'll just be slicing a bit of the sapele off, but I just can't tell. But it's a moot point as I don't feel confident removing it with a circular saw (and table saw is out of the question for me to do with these heavy doors). Even if I did I still have to make the hinge mortices anyway, so I'd rather put my effort into doing that with the bevel there.

jambs.jpgbevels.jpgbevel2.jpg
                  Last edited by Torontoeon; 07-29-2012, 12:53 PM.

Comment

A picture is worth a thousand words and in this case it validates what Wally said. Even tho You said you would cut thru the veneer.......It wasn't necessarily true was it?

The door is a particle core with a thin face veneer and solid edging to hold screws for the hinges and door knob strike latch.

For clarity Wally was talking about a track saw. Not just a circular saw.

The reason the bevel is not Optimum in my opinion is the hinge will never be fully closed and so the door will not gain any support,[however small it may be] from closing tightly against the hinge jamb and gaining support against racking. For example if any door starts to sag on the latch side you can shim the bottom of the hinge jamb outward against the bottom corner of the door and force the door up into proper alignment.

Hinge jig?? Why "U" shape? make an "L" and clamp it to your doors. I'd trust a clamp a helluva lot more than some knobs and screws.
                    "Do it Right!"

Comment

Here's a couple of pics that might help explain what I am talking about. Also a couple of a quick jig that you can make and clamp to your doors for the hinge mortise. This is what I use to cut the door if needed but you could do the same by clamping a straight edge to the door and putting a piece of HB under your saw. It won't splinter anyways as you are cutting with the grain and in solid mahogany but protection is easy to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                        A picture is worth a thousand words and in this case it validates what Wally said. Even tho You said you would cut thru the veneer.......It wasn't necessarily true was it?

The door is a particle core with a thin face veneer and solid edging to hold screws for the hinges and door knob strike latch.

For clarity Wally was talking about a track saw. Not just a circular saw.

The reason the bevel is not Optimum in my opinion is the hinge will never be fully closed and so the door will not gain any support,[however small it may be] from closing tightly against the hinge jamb and gaining support against racking. For example if any door starts to sag on the latch side you can shim the bottom of the hinge jamb outward against the bottom corner of the door and force the door up into proper alignment.

Hinge jig?? Why "U" shape? make an "L" and clamp it to your doors. I'd trust a clamp a helluva lot more than some knobs and screws.
                        Actually I asked Wally if he meant TS as in Festool TS55, which is a track saw, and he replied and he said:

Originally posted by Wally in Calgary View Post
                        I meant Table Saw or a circular saw.
                        and then he kindly advised me how to use the circular saw without chipping. But, now I see in the pic he posted he shows a track saw.

So, the edge wood is mahogany? I couldn't tell and still can't. All I know is that it is solid wood and I think there is veneer on it. Maybe not. I'm at a loss there, but if you say it is mahogany too then that removes that concern of mine.

A L shape makes more sense. I got thrown off by that video. I wish you told me that before, lol, as now I just spent a few hours making a U shaped jig. I can avoid using the other leg though.

As for the door never being fully closed because of the bevel, I thought it was never fully closed even without the bevel because of the fact you have a 1/16" to 1/8" gap at the hinge side of the door between the edge and the jamb anyway, no?
                        Last edited by Torontoeon; 07-29-2012, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wally in Calgary View Post
                          Here's a couple of pics that might help explain what I am talking about. Also a couple of a quick jig that you can make and clamp to your doors for the hinge mortise. This is what I use to cut the door if needed but you could do the same by clamping a straight edge to the door and putting a piece of HB under your saw. It won't splinter anyways as you are cutting with the grain and in solid mahogany but protection is easy to do.
                          Thanks for that explanation and pics. Maybe I'll try cutting the bevel off one of the narrow closet doors that are a part of this set of doors and see how I do and what happens with that edge. I will be needing a Festool TS55 anyway for some panelling I'll doing so maybe I'll pick that up tomorrow at Lee Valley. The router I borrowed from a friend is not one that a bushing can be used with so my jig would have to have much larger squares cut out (2-3/4" on each side) and would be a bit more cumbersome to make, so maybe I'll buy one that a bushing can be used with.

I like the fact that for each door the spacing would be set exactly the same because it is just one big jig that would then be reversed for the jamb (properly spaced, of course as the top and bottom hinges are different distances from the edges).

Comment

Wally - What hinge spacing are you using on that jig? I was thinking of 5" from the top and 10" from the bottom with the center one evenly spaced between the two, although I've seen other measurements (7" & 11") on the net. Just wondering what the standard is here in Canada.

Comment

Wally - What hinge spacing are you using on that jig? I was thinking of 5" from the top and 10" from the bottom with the center one evenly spaced between the two, although I've seen other measurements (7" & 11") on the net. Just wondering what the standard is here in Canada.
                              I make mine 9" to center top & bottom and center of door - 40" - I don't think it matters to the look of it ( with 3 hinges) and it makes one jig reversible. The cutouts are 1/8" wider than the hinge and you use a 1/2" bit with a 5/8" bushing and buy hinges that have 1/4" radius corners. Then you make a flat jig to match it with a stop on the bottom and do all the jambs too. It makes things a lot simpler to do.

Comment

Actually I asked Wally if he meant TS as in Festool TS55, which is a track saw, and he replied and he said:

and then he kindly advised me how to use the circular saw without chipping. But, now I see in the pic he posted he shows a track saw.

So, the edge wood is mahogany? I couldn't tell and still can't. All I know is that it is solid wood and I think there is veneer on it. Maybe not. I'm at a loss there, but if you say it is mahogany too then that removes that concern of mine.

A L shape makes more sense. I got thrown off by that video. I wish you told me that before, lol, as now I just spent a few hours making a U shaped jig. I can avoid using the other leg though.

As for the door never being fully closed because of the bevel, I thought it was never fully closed even without the bevel because of the fact you have a 1/16" to 1/8" gap at the hinge side of the door between the edge and the jamb anyway, no?
                                The pic I showed is my cordless circ saw with a zero clearance base and a straight edge that clamps to the door or sheet goods. FWIW.

Comment

Working...
                                X