Pot Lights in Insulated Ceiling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pot Lights in Insulated Ceiling

We are installing 10 pot lights in an insulated ceiling. I have purchased the proper lights with enclosures at Rona. It says to cover with a vapour barrier and I am thinking they should be sealed with duct tape. It says that the bats can cover the enclosure when completed.
    Question..Do the 2x4's in the ceiling need to be drilled for the wire or can the Romex be stapled to the ceiling joists?
    Thanks
    John C

Re: Pot Lights in Insulated Ceiling

I would staple the wires to the bottom cord of the roof truss but in such a manner that you wil not be tripping over them the next time you go into the attic. I certainly wouldn't be drilling the bottom cord. I am assuming your attic has an engineered roof truss.

Brian
    If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

Amen re Brian's comment, but also NO not fabric duct tape. The heat will dry out the duct tape and it will separate and deteriorate - use foil duct tape as used on heat returns and so forth.

Comment

you dont need to drill the joists for the wiring, but there's no reason why you cant

to tape the seams in the vapor barrier, use Tuck Tape. thats what its designed for, its bright red and has tucktape printed all over it so that building inspectors know that builders used the proper stuff.
        my shop is a beaver lodge
        steve, sarnia, ont

sigpic

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

Thanks folks. So it is OK to put the pink bats over the enclosures when the vapour barrier is sealed? No issues with heat I assume.

Comment

Originally posted by John C View Post
            Thanks folks. So it is OK to put the pink bats over the enclosures when the vapour barrier is sealed? No issues with heat I assume.
            thats what they are designed for.
            my shop is a beaver lodge
            steve, sarnia, ont

sigpic

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

Assuming they are IC (insulated can) potlights yes it is okay , each one should go into a Vapour bag as well,( if it is also not an Air Tight housing) which is then taped to the vapour barrier with tucktape ( tucktape is a brand name i think but usually red)

its also called sheathing tape

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/red-...es-long/951143

Comment

I got the red tuck tape and the Halo cool blue 2 plastic covers. None of the poly at Lowes or Home Depot had a tep rating on it. When I asked, nobody could give me an answer. I would think if the poly was rated for 90 C plus, they would have it plastered on the packaging.
                I presume I am not putting pink inside the housing but did see some pics on line where people did. I will seal them well with the tuck tape and then put the pink over them.

Comment

If they are thermal rated the box and enclosed literature will say so clearly - that means they contain a thermostat that opens the circuit and turns the light off if overheating, before ignition when they are covered by insulation. And, you shouldn't have to use more than a few inches of tape because the bell hosing ("can") should be pretty well closed up to begin with. Excessive tape is not desirable.

Comment

Working...
                  X