Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Wood Stove?

Hi,

Anyone have any ideas on where I can find a small wood stove to heat a room about 120 sq.ft.? This is not a shop, but a finished "shed" of sorts. Nothing fancy....just bare bones. I took a very quick look at buying something used, but didn't come up with anything yet.

Thanks.

Re: Small Wood Stove?

Canadian Tire carries a few-- http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

Comment

Not sure where you are Rob, but here in SW Ontario I picked up a decent small used one for my studio (approx. 140sq. ft). It's about 16-18" wide and has a fairly compact footprint. Cost me 125$

That comes with a correspondingly small firebox, and in my case fairly poor draft ability. (Mine has the pipe hookup out the back surface, not the top. Also -more importantly- the total chimney height is fairly low, so not so good draft.) Also, firewood has to be made smaller as well, no big chunks.

One thing that I would recommend highly is to provide a makeup air supply for your stove, until I did this it would take a long time to get up to comfortable room temperature. (Mine consists of some aluminum dryer vent hooked up to the stove's vents.) Using outside air, not room air, for combustion makes the whole thing so much more efficient.

In my opinion you should stay away from those Can tire ones, they are meant for hunting camps and such - (I looked at those and they are not very durable). There always seems to be so many good ones available used (at least around here, anyway) that you should be able to find something that is quality made for not too bad.

Comment

You don't say how much you will be using this shed or if it's insulated which will likely be a decision in how you heat it. I burn a lot of wood, both home and the shop but for that small a space I would consider a smaller pellet stove. It provides a similar heat in all apsects and bags of pellets are easier than dealing with smaller chunks of firewood, especially if you don't cut it or have acess to it yourself now. Scraps are great to burn in it but they will go quick. Pellet stoves are easier to control, easer to install, easier to maintain, lower clearance measurements (important in a small room) and you don't have to worry about draft. The only thing is that you need power, so if you don't have that in this shed, disregard my two cents above.
        Wood stoves should be sized so that you are burning them hot rather than getting something bigger and letting the wood smolder. You may get a good deal on one but if it's too big you will never fire it properly without roasting yourself out of the place not to mention issues like chimney fires from not burning hot. I had the smallest Jotul and I believe that one would even be too big for a shed that size not to mention based on CSA clearances would put it into your room quite a bit. Okay that was my other two cents worth. Good luck in your search.

Comment

Not Canadian and shipping might be too much but I used to heat my shop with one of these stoves http://www.thehotspot.co.uk/Products...lax_Stoves.asp You can burn pretty much anything in them and while the weather isnt as cold as it is here it would be happy on offcuts and a couple of logs all day and all night long.
          Cheers

Tim

www.timbowdin.com

'If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem'

Comment

I have one of these that I'd sell you for a token $10. I used it to burn off some birch branches, but it was taking too long, so I ended up chipping them instead. I don't hunt or camp so the stove is just sitting in my shed taking up space.

http://www.tscstores.com/18-PORTABLE...VE-P12757.aspx
            Last edited by MikeB; 08-15-2012, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts. It will be insulated. I will be using it about 2-3 days a week in the winter.

Tim....those stoves look great, but likely too large for what I'm doing. Even the smallest one is 3 times larger than needed, and as Johan mentioned I don't want to have too much power for the reasons he's mentioned.

I will do a search for used stoves, but I'm guessing I will come across large (ish) stoves that will blast me right out of this place!

Comment

PM sent MikeB......

Comment

Hi Rob,

In a space that small I don't think I would want to give up real estate to a wood stove.

Is electric/gas heat an option ?

Cheers, Don
                  Don Kondra - Furniture Designer/Maker
                  Product Photography
                  My Acreage Bird Photographs

Comment

Electric / gas are both still options, Don.

I know what you mean.....with the appropriate space allowances it does take up some prime space. We have a huge (3' dia. at base) beech tree on our yard that is almost ready to come down. If it can't be shading my studio I would love to make good use of it otherwise. On the other hand I don't want that to be the only reason for adding a wood stove.

Have any great ideas for electric or gas?

Comment

There are a range of hanging gas space heaters available but if you factor in trenching a gas line, etc. it might make more sense to spend the money on insulation and go with an electric space heater.

Shouldn't be too difficult to work up a cost/use/payback sheet.

I haven't looked at prices for a long time but an exterior wood furnace heating water might be worth looking into also.

Cheers, Don
                      Don Kondra - Furniture Designer/Maker
                      Product Photography
                      My Acreage Bird Photographs

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Brown View Post
                        We have a huge (3' dia. at base) beech tree on our yard that is almost ready to come down. If it can't be shading my studio I would love to make good use of it otherwise.
                        Beech is lovely wood and a 3' diameter Beech should have an amazing quantity of lumber in it. May I suggest getting it sawn on a band mill?

John

Comment

It's pretty gnarly stuff, John. Great for firewood, but nothing too wonderful for furniture.

I will look into that idea, Don. Thanks.
                          Last edited by Rob Brown; 08-15-2012, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Suggest looking at sailboat wood stoves. There are some that would meet your needs but may be pricy.

Option: steel pipe, schedule 40@ 10 in. Diam., offset cladding and a welder to brew up your own stove.

Small propane bottles could also be used. Note on purging before cutting!!

Any code requirements?

http://www.instructables.com/id/Wood...de-from-scrap/

http://www.marinestove.com/

http://www.marinestove.com/
                            Last edited by Egon; 08-17-2012, 11:46 AM.
                            Egon
                            from
                            The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Originally posted by MikeB View Post
                              I have one of these that I'd sell you for a token $10. I used it to burn off some birch branches, but it was taking too long, so I ended up chipping them instead. I don't hunt or camp so the stove is just sitting in my shed taking up space.

http://www.tscstores.com/18-PORTABLE...VE-P12757.aspx

I have used two of these for shop heat. They are both good and bad.
                              Good, in that they will heat up very quickly, and can provide quite a lot of heat. I thought the draft control was pretty good when new.

Bad in that they can get very hot, and glow red. You need about 48" clearance from combustible surfaces or make a heat shield.
                              If you plan on using it for along time it will burn through. Put a layer of sand in the boton to protect the sheet metal and never clean out all the ashes.
                              I used to burn my sawdust in one of these.
                              In an age when scientists are creating artificial intelligence, too many of our educational institutions seem to be creating artificial stupidity. - Thomas Sowell

Comment

Working...
                              X