Fiberglass deck tips?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiberglass deck tips?

so I am doing my deck, 8 x 16" the joist were fine but they put some 4x4's horizontally between the plate that the joists tie into and the fascia board. , horizontally between the posts. It wasn't needed and they didn't run the sheeting over the fascia board but up to it. This, along with not enough slope caused the water to pool and rot the 4x4's

I removed the 4x4's and replaced the fascia board,( just the longer one, I will leave the side ones as they are. I made the long one lower so the sheeting can go over top. I cut the posts a bit and fixed the slope.

I was looking into vinyl decking as it gets full rain and here we get lots and lots of rain. The seam welding kind of scared me and it seemed a bit fiddly around the posts.

so I priced out materials for fiberglass and that is where I am headed now. I have new G1S 3/4 fir plywood and the fiberglass edging. my plan is to fit the edging flush to the plywood by routering it out a tad, maybe 1/16 or so. then to leave 1/8 or maybe 1/16" gaps between the sheets and fill all the screw heads ( have green deck screws) with bondo. to install a cant strip along by the house and around each post. to coat the sheeting with fiberglass resin, it is the sticky (unwaxed) kind. after that is dry I will lay the glass and put resin overtop and work out as many bubbles as I am able within the working time of the resin.
    then I'll do a rough sanding to get any bumps off and apply my tan colored gelcoat with a roller.

I have never done a fiberglass deck. the cost of materials ( less the plywood) is 500 bucks, The vinyl or good quality commercial deck coating sounded like it would be maybe a 100 or so less but the fiberglass sounded like more work but also more waterproof.

The deck is also my back and most commonly used entrance way. I didn't add walnut shells to the gelcoat and I am wondering if maybe I need to?

I haven't noticed any other posts on fiberglass decks and I thought I would make one to see if anyone here has done this and weather there are any tips of suggestions to make this go more smoothly.

I am a bit scared to start laying the plywood and or putting the first coat of resin on the ply because I keep getting a day here and a day there so I am planning to try to do the whole thing near the end of the month when I have a little time off. rain will raise the grain. if I coat the deck first it might be so sticky it will get dirty. It might be too hot then so I might need to use the evening or early morning or even work under lights at night to get away from the sun, evidently the sun is a bad thing as it will harden up too quickly.

I watched some videos and got a few tips from the guy at the 'glass shop but I still don't know if I should be scared yet or not.
    Last edited by phil; 06-05-2014, 03:51 PM.
    “The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” -Bertrand Russell
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Fiberglass deck tips?

I can't recommend fiberglass as I have pulled out way to many failed installations and replaced with vinyl , give the vinyl installation a miss and let the Pro's do it, it may cost the equivalent of a few hours labour for the 2 guys but well worth it , it was running about $6sqft plus the extras like posts and corners but has a long warranty these days ,like fibergalss make sure your chairs etc have good feet on them and wont puncture the surface. Here in the GVRD I use Phoenix Sundecks for this and some railings (going on 10 yrs now,) good to deal with , and pricing the same as many others, haven't talked to them this summer yet about Pricing etc butt worth a call., they'll do a free measure and estimate .

I usually use Sanded (Select) T&G 3/4 ply for the deck , screwed and glued like subfloor, Vinyl guys will fill holes and do edge flashings ( no need to rout) . I usually add a 1x2 around the edge of the deck to form a drip for the vinyl guys flashing , it stops the water running continually down the fascia. Make sure they run the vinyl perpendicular to the house ( parallel to the slope) so the water doesn't back up behind the seams , and ask if possible not to have a seam at doorways ( limited by 6' sheet material)

Phoenix & Ediger Vinyl Sundecks Ltd
    106, 9295 198 Street
    Langley BC
    V1M 3J9
    Phone: 604-270-4845
    Fax: 604-888-4823
    www.sundecks.com

a 2yr old Price list ? I think...... you don't need all necessarily...

Supply and Install 60ml fleece back vinyl $5.00/sq ft
    Supply and Install 60ml Reinforced vinyl $6.00/sq ft
    Supply and Install flashing $1.00/ft
    Supply and Install PVC clip $1.00/ft
    Supply and Install PVC flashing $3.00/ft
    Collar Post $20.00/each
    Mechanical Fastener $3.00/ft
    Kant Strip $3.00/ft

Mick

PS I am in no way involved with Phoenix , just a Happy Customer (Contractor)
    Last edited by Kbird123; 06-07-2014, 02:21 PM. Reason: disclaimer

Comment

Thanks for the detailed help Mick. I have already purchased the fiberglassing materials and am on a bit of a shoestring budget being just a single homeowner making ends meet. It still seems a bit cheaper if I do the work, around 500 for the materials,not including the plywood. My dad did one fiberglass deck on our place in the interior and it really lasted well. I can ask him some questions but he's not able to help due to age and mobility issues. I think I can do this but I am just waiting to get enough time together in a clump a few days should be enough. the weather is perfect for it now. Why did most of the fiberglass decks that you saw fail? was it cracking letting water under or some other issue? I did get the fiberglass edging that will make it drip away from the Fascia and my plan is to put a gutter underneath that so I can route it into the storm drains. I probably have nearly 2 inches of slope over 8 feet now, it had about half that which in a perfect world would be enough but with the odd low spot it still pooled. I guess it settled here and there after they built it. As you know Vancouver is one of the few places puddles form on hills ;-)
      phil

Comment

Most failed from either cracking along the building or around the posts if they are thru the deck , something I don't recommend either for a waterproof deck and more costly to finish anyway, mount the posts on the fascia afterwards on blocks to get over the decking drip edge using 8-10" galv. Carriage bolts or lags where you cant thru bolt eg at the corners.

As mentioned above the other culprit is deck furniture especially metal chairs with no feet on them , as people tend to rock back on there chairs when relaxing at the BBQ with a brew.... it cuts a nice whole , which water eventually penetrates. and once the ply is wet it is difficult to dry out and repair.

Sounds like you'll look after things and take care of it , so should do okay long term.

2 inch is a good slope @ 8' for Fiberglass or Vinyl Decks , probably what I'd do too...

Get a good Organic cartridge respirator , you'll be working in those fumes for a bit....

Sure you can't return the fiberglass products? still time for vinyl

Mick.

Comment

thanks Mick, The 'glass shop suggested installing cant strips around the posts so I will do that, Just put some good sealant under them and then I can run the glass up the 45 around the strips. someone else suggested cutting thin sawcuts into the posts and using flashing, I think I like the cant strips around the posts idea. I'd move the posts to the outside if I built it but it is sitting on a wall and I can't really move them too easily. I just took the 4x4's that were under the plywood away and put the fascia board lower on the drip side so water can't get between the deck and Fascia board because the plywood will run over it on that side the way it should have been. It's strong enough without those 4x4's they really didn't add any strength and just made a sandwich for capillary action. I'll watch the furniture, at least it is pretty easy to repair. The trick is to actually do the repairs in the dry weather not just notice any spots;-) and to keep track of any chairs and BBQ and stuff that are missing feet. It's a big job for me and I am just about to begin just need some dry weather and time off and I have my request in for both ;-)
          thanks for the tips. It seems like it'll be a long job by comparison to having installers put vinyl but should last pretty well in the wet weather it sees.
          Phil

Comment

Yep Cants are the recommended way with Fiberglass , you definitely don't want a 90° bend with it ,eg going up the wall at the house connection or around posts.
            Vinyl is no problem there as it stretches if there is movement.

M.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

The company I was just hired by has this product watch the videos send me a pm if interested.
              http://www.techstone.ca/ws_flex.html
              Jerome
              Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
              Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become beer.......but didn't....

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome View Post
                The company I was just hired by has this product watch the videos send me a pm if interested.
                http://www.techstone.ca/ws_flex.html
                I have used roll on coatings like this and also have seen them not last and start peeling off. There are some commercial available products that are better I think but I wouldn't use my project to experiment with something available in a big box store. That's why I am replacing the sheeting now, the previous roll on product failed and it wasn't easy to remove what didn't peel, so the plywood needed to be replaced as well. It might work in a covered application but I wouldn't attempt it it in a full rain environment here in Vancouver.

Comment

Aww the age old problem replacing (I hope) other peoples shortcuts. Most problems with these installs is not following the installation instructions thus the shortened life with a two stage product as I suggested installed properly you should not have any issues. In your post you say " it wasn't easy to remove what didn't peel " that says too me that part was installed properly part was not. You will run into the same problems with fiberglass if not installed properly but at a much higher costs.
                  Last edited by Jerome; 06-23-2014, 08:52 PM.
                  Jerome
                  Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
                  Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become beer.......but didn't....

Comment

Working...
                  X