UnConventional Garage Doors Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UnConventional Garage Doors Project

Thanks again, Carl for helping me with forum account activation!

My double garage door is finally busted yesterday. It started with a small crack and a straighten out little bend on top frame a few years ago and the damage has gotten worse and spread over the years. I can just replace all the damage parts but I want less maintenance, less moving parts, and unconventional look garage doors.

Barn/Carriage doors and roll up warehouse doors came to mind, not sure if side roller available in Canada. Carriage door style is on top of the list right now. We are not worry about snow blocking the door path, there is always solution, install heated floor in front of garage or just have shovel ready in the porch before snow drops.

We prefer to have a different looking house than others so we don't mind to have the only house in the neighborhood with that unique garage door style.

Has anyone installed barn/carriage or roll up or side roller garage door for your residential house?

Interior-Side-Carriage-Doors-2.jpg14xdtlh.jpglarge_gallery_image14.jpg

We are ready to start the project within a month. After we finish decking out the whole backyard

What do you guys think about basement steel framing like picture below for the carriage garage door frame to reduce the weight?

IMG_01802.jpg

Picture of the house, sorry not the best one. Just took it this morning with iPhone before leaving for work.
    We are going to redo front entrance and do interlocking driveway in the future. There is enough space to park 4 cars in the driveway. We are thinking to split garage door into 4 carriage doors. It spans about 192 inches long x 82 inches height. Each door will only take 48 inches of driveway space when fully open.

eunc3k.jpg

The idea is similar to what these guys did.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Windhys; 06-09-2014, 01:36 PM.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: UnConventional Garage Doors Project

I'm not trying to discourage you but I thought I would give you my observations. Carriage doors are charming but better suited to warmer climates. In my mind doors have to first be functional, then look good.

4' x 7' wood doors are heavy and how good they look will depend on the weakest part of the structure. It the hinges are strong but you don't have enough meat in the jambs to hold the lags OR the structure behind the jamb moves your nice square and level doors will sag. There is a source for nice strap hinges here in london but you are going to have to very solid jambs to support them. On big doors like that a little bit of slop and sag in the hinges really shows at the head and double doors have to meet nicely with a consistent gap to look good.

If I was doing this to be functional I would use geared continuous hinges. If I did go with strap hinges I would go with 3 or even 4 hinges. My worry would be the fasteners at the jambs.

The mullion in the centre that supports the two doors is going to have to be solid. I'd say 2" x 3" square tubing solidly fastened top and bottom and then you need enough meat in the jambs to support the strap hinges.

These doors are going to be difficult to weatherstrip. The hardest part is going to be at the threshold. Overhead doors use a compression seal and most garages are designed for this type of seal. Outswing doors use sweeps attached to the outside of the door. These sweeps need a ramp structure to seal against. On commercial work I always drop the formwork 1/2" or so in the doorways. Then there is a 6 inch wide threshold with bevel on it for the sweep to seal against. You will probably have slightly sloping concrete at the garage apron which will be difficult to seal.

Look carefully at the opening, look at what's in the wall behind the drywall, that's jupporting the jamb so it's gotta be stiff. Measure the rough opening then start subtract the jambs and supporting structure. Draw it up, measure your car and see how it looks. I put down masking tape then lay everything out with a marker on the floor

Comment

Doors are not structured to hang on their sides. The bottom track will fill with dirt, snow and ice and won't open or closed. Covering up the basement wall down stair will need the bosses approval and you are not going to get that!

Comment

If you want to maintain your sanity forget every idea you had. I'll let the other guys tell you why.

Comment

Thanks for the input, guys.

We were thinking about simpler, more functional design. We were not even going to use automated opener. We thought carriage type of doors would be the simplest, less maintenance, and have less moving parts.

We don't really need to access garage during winter, maybe when we need to get some tools but we are planning to have a access door from inside the house. We keep 2 cars in the garage but we don't really take them out, maybe once or twice every couple years. We keep our daily cars outside garage.

This is the plan I made in Photoshop last night. The reduce the weight of the door, we were thinking to use basement steel framing, hopefully that will prevent the frame from sagging.

CARRIAGE GARAGE DOOR.jpg

But after reading about support sides, I'm worry if they will hold the weight of the doors overtime. And weather stripping is another issue I have to deal with. I thought this whole plan would be simpler

Track type of garage door when fully open gets in the way of my plan for garage attic storage room That's another reason for different solution. I can build a full size bedroom up there.

I'm undecided right now whether to go with different type of doors or just get someone to fix our broken garage door.

We tend to go to routes that normal house owner would never think to do , like decking almost the whole backyard so no more grass to deal with, just some garden beds, removing a section of a wall inside our house and replace top to bottom with glass blocks. I can take some pictures if you would like to see it. We also installed few big skylights windows. More unconventional ideas we have for our kitchen and the rest of the house in the future. We may be overdoing our reno but we are going to stay in this house for a while.
          Last edited by Windhys; 06-09-2014, 07:50 PM.

Comment

You can get standard style roll up doors that look like carriage doors. I really like the look. My neighbour 2 doors over has this style of door. If you contact Mark at B&M Garage Doors he would be able to show you some excellent options. They have standard doors and are also able to build if you want custom.
            Mark
            www.masterfinishing.ca

Comment

They have a roll up door across the street from me. Different than your picture because it rolls up into a little box on the exterior. It has to have been up for more than ten years now and it's still working like a champ. Size is 8x7 though, not 16x7.

Comment

master finishing:
                Is Mark @ B&B located in Canada? I goggled and found one in California.

bender:
                I'm having hard time finding someone who installs this type of door for residential. I can do a center frame and have 2 x 8x7 of roll up doors if they hold up well for years.

Comment

If indeed you hardly use them it is easy to take the strain off carriage doors from inside after closing them, and using a portable gasket against the inside to seal the bottom.
                  Rob

Comment

Originally posted by dave_k View Post
                    I'm not trying to discourage you but I thought I would give you my observations. Carriage doors are charming but better suited to warmer climates. In my mind doors have to first be functional, then look good.

4' x 7' wood doors are heavy and how good they look will depend on the weakest part of the structure. It the hinges are strong but you don't have enough meat in the jambs to hold the lags OR the structure behind the jamb moves your nice square and level doors will sag. There is a source for nice strap hinges here in london but you are going to have to very solid jambs to support them. On big doors like that a little bit of slop and sag in the hinges really shows at the head and double doors have to meet nicely with a consistent gap to look good.

If I was doing this to be functional I would use geared continuous hinges. If I did go with strap hinges I would go with 3 or even 4 hinges. My worry would be the fasteners at the jambs.

The mullion in the centre that supports the two doors is going to have to be solid. I'd say 2" x 3" square tubing solidly fastened top and bottom and then you need enough meat in the jambs to support the strap hinges.

These doors are going to be difficult to weatherstrip. The hardest part is going to be at the threshold. Overhead doors use a compression seal and most garages are designed for this type of seal. Outswing doors use sweeps attached to the outside of the door. These sweeps need a ramp structure to seal against. On commercial work I always drop the formwork 1/2" or so in the doorways. Then there is a 6 inch wide threshold with bevel on it for the sweep to seal against. You will probably have slightly sloping concrete at the garage apron which will be difficult to seal.

Look carefully at the opening, look at what's in the wall behind the drywall, that's jupporting the jamb so it's gotta be stiff. Measure the rough opening then start subtract the jambs and supporting structure. Draw it up, measure your car and see how it looks. I put down masking tape then lay everything out with a marker on the floor
                    Thanks the your inputs. I will have to look more at the structure around the garage door later.

Comment

Originally posted by iamtooler View Post
                      If indeed you hardly use them it is easy to take the strain off carriage doors from inside after closing them, and using a portable gasket against the inside to seal the bottom.
                      Rob
                      That could work. Thanks!

I was thinking to add a support like this or maybe build a stopper that will also support the door when open or close.

107-0727_IMG-499x371.jpg

Comment

b&m doors is in Mississauga,Ontario 647 7243375 www.bmgaragedoor.com
                        Mark
                        www.masterfinishing.ca

Comment

you don't want to rely on an outdoor fixture, but an over center actuated leg on each door could work open or closed.

Comment

What you are wanting to do is not impossible. I have carriage doors in my shop. Each door is 5 x8 and has an interior frame of 1.5. X 1.5 square tubing. I made my strap hinges which have grease fittings and the hinges attach to steel plates attached to the steel framing. They have not sagged in 10 years. They are a PITA in the wintertime as the snow builds up against the outside. The metal frame is clad with pine on the outside and and ply on the inside. Metal frame is not visible. Anything is possible and all it takes is time and MONEY
                            If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

Ok...Forget about "Unconventional". It's all been tried and there are very good reasons why garage doors are done the way they are done.
                              Ive worked on a few sliding doors but have never even seen one like the ones you have pictured. I would steer away from them for the reasons mentioned above. I think they're intended for a warmer climate then ours.
                              If you like the roll up style of door, call a garage door company and tell them you're looking for a "rolling steel door" or a "rolling shutter" or "security shutters". 16Ft is no big deal for a rolling steel door and shouldn't be a problem for a shutter.
                              This one is 32 ft. We replaced it about, oh... maybe 8 years ago.
                              stelco door 5.jpg
                              Stay away from mini storage unit doors. They look the same but they are total junk (that's what you have pictured above). They're not made for this type of use and won't last long at all.
                              There are shutters that have perforations between the slats so when you open the shutter a little, the perforations let air flow and light in without opening the door. I can't remember the name of the company right now but they are quite common as window shutters and I have seen them at least 16 ft and maybe wider.

Standard sectional garage doors come in such a variety of styles (including carriage house) that it shouldn't be hard to find one that is quite different then all your neighbours. If your existing door is steel non insulated, it's not likely worth fixing. If you want a quality door that will last, insulated is better than non insulated (generally). Non insulated is typically a budget door. As for the room above the door, do what ever you want up there. All you need is 12" above the door for it to work properly and you can get away with 6" or less with special track. If you have plans for that space, mention it to the garage door people you talk to. They'll know what to do.You're certainly not the first.

There are plenty of door companies around. Check out a bunch of them and maybe even some window companies. Some of them build custom wood doors too. We used to install custom doors for a company out of Mississauga.
                              Finally... The large majority of garage doors in southern Ontario come out of or through Mississauga and surrounding area. Look around, there's lots to choose from.
                              HTH
                              Last edited by J.P. Rap; 06-09-2014, 09:16 PM.
                              J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.
                              Carpe Ductum (Seize The Tape)

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. Elwood P. Dowd

Comment

Working...
                              X